Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASKANDY
    replied
    They have been tested with the power circuit as is and runs fine. No issue with warranty either. The higher voltage will drop under load a little. All should be fine.

A-

Leave a comment:

• moe1942
    replied
    Thanks Andy,

I should have been more specific early on. The Bobcats rated voltage was my main concern. 256-264VAC looked a bit much for electronic circuitry. I'm wondering if lowering the no-load to maybe 250 would be a little easier on my MM175.

My limited knowledge of electronics says slightly lower would be better than super high. I'm a worry wart when it comes to high dollar equipment.

If Miller says the warranty on a MillerMatic is good when powered by a Bobcat at rated voltage that should wrap up this discussion...

moe1942

Leave a comment:

• ASKANDY
    replied
    The alternator power is fine for running the MM175. It actually is smoother than years past. The MM175 may run a liitle hotter as the Bobcat's Aux power voltage is usually a little high. If using an extension cord, make sure it is of proper heavy enough gauge.

A-

Leave a comment:

• DDA52
    replied
    No problem, Moe.
    As much as you helped me with my Bobus, it's the least I can do. I may actually get a chance to work on mine today.

Leave a comment:

• moe1942
    replied
    Thanks Don,

You and all the others who replied have proven the worth of this site. I re-read the Bobcat owners manual yesterday and did not find a definitive answer to any of the questions I asked. When I have to assume I start asking questions.

I hope all my questions and rambling has helped someone else too....

moe1942

Leave a comment:

• DDA52
    replied
    Moe
    Suitcases......very cool!

I don't think you'd have trouble with the MM 175 and Bobus. I run my MM 135 all the time off a generator with no problems. Just can't max it out. I don't think the Bobus output would be any different. Esp, since the sales brochure for the 2001 225 NT shows a set up with the MM 185. If it wouldn't run it, they wouldn't reccomend it....I hope.

FWIW, the 3045 fc needs a power source, while the MM 175 doesn't. Makes a difference in the shop if you don't like noise.

Leave a comment:

• moe1942
    replied
    Thanks for the input Bulldog,

I don't know if the VS circuit in the MM175 will be affected by the Bobcats alternator output. I think the voltage produced is a bit different than commercial power. Also isn't there a difference in the 225NT's alternator vs the 225G. I don't think it is as clipped as the output on mine.

Someone from Miller will weigh in for the benefit of all.

Smoke rolling out of a welder scares me and I'm fearless. If I could go back I would have bought the 3045FC. 29 pounds vs 70+ for the MM175...Too smart, too late.

Thanks again

moe1942

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog
    replied
    Hi Moe,
    I have been reading your posts with interest. I have a Bobcat 250NT and love the thing. I hooked a suitcase to it and it worked great the only thing that I don't like with this setup is that when I weld in the shop I have to listen to the Bobcat running. I wound up buying a MM210. Quite! The Bobcat runs the MM210 with no trouble. I have used it a bunch of times with flux cored wire. It is no way as portable as the suitcase but for me it works out well. Good luck.
    Bulldog

Leave a comment:

• moe1942
    replied
    Thanks for all the feedback. This is stuff you won't get in the users manual.

moe1942

Leave a comment:

• revpol
    replied
    Moe: Have used the BC many times ( stick, tig &mig) I have also the s-32p-12 feeder never had a problem with it. Also tigged with the BC. str. polarity and scratch start tig, just flip it to the rabbit before you start tigging (this helps the starting of the tig) and go. Does a good job. Also while tigging some tubes once I was running a couple of drop lights and useing a metabo to prep the next joints while welding. revpol

Leave a comment:

• paulrbrown
    replied
    Hey Moe, no as to the idle not working, it works fine. When there is any type of load on the Bobcat, it goes to fast speed, and stays there. So if you are using aux power, it will always be running fast until load is cut of. I keep a grinder with wire brush on hand while stick welding and I will bump the trigger on it to get the Bobcat to go from idle to full speed so it is easier to start the ARC. Saves having to bang the electrode on the piece to get the Bobcat up to speed. Plus, I always have a way to knock slag off efficiently, them dang hammers make for an ugly weld.....Again, hope this helps,Paul

Leave a comment:

• moe1942
    replied
    Thanks PLB,

I know TIG is in my future so I am asking questions now.

Did you mean your Bobcat idle isn't working? Mine isn't since I changed from Onan to Kohler. Went overkill and used a 25HP V-Twin Command Kohler. Got Power to spare. Have to figure a way to incorporate the Onans idle solenoid. The electrical circuit is ok, just have to mount the solenoid.

The kohler runs so smooth and quiet it is low priority.

If you need some help on your BC's run/idle circuit just holler.

moe1942

Leave a comment:

• paulrbrown
    replied
    Hey Moe, If you don't mind scratch starting on DC tig, [non critical] welds, the bobcat preforms well, I have done stainless and low carbon steel with no problems, other that no remote amperate control," pays to have a helper to tweak the amperage"...but once you get it set, it runs fine. Forget Aluminum and Magnesium welding, they are gonna need AC, which does require the high frequency generator....and DDA52 is right on about the power tools, I love lights while working in the dark, so I bring lots of them, the only 'problem' I have encountered, is the Bobcat does not go to idle after welding, so I wear ear plugs so I don't have to listen to it....I just need a bigger muffler!!!Hope this helps,Paul

Leave a comment:

• moe1942
    replied
    Don,

You are definitely in line for a feeder if my son gets lucky. He says all they have are suitcase feeders. Don't know model #'s. I plan on asking today. Says there are a dozen just sitting in the tool room. He has been bugging his boss so it is just a matter of time. They must spit out some large dia. wire since they prefab beams and supports for buildings. He works with 1/2" and up regularly.

Yes, I have the manual Don but field knowhow is so much better. I like to take what the experts say back to the book. Makes more sense to me then. I find my brain isn't as agile as it once was. Gittin old sucks.....

I used to be good at O/A so hope that will translate to TIG when I get there.

Thanks for the feed back.

moe1942

Leave a comment:

• DDA52
    replied
    Moe,
    Another thought. If I get a feeder, I was considering the 3045fc. That one is almost perfectly matched up to the 225G in output capabilities. That may be an option if he finds one. He probably wouldn't find one, though. It is a newer model and is not the one directed at the heavy industrial crowd. Just thought I would throw it in just in case.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X