X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DDA52
    replied
    Moe
    I can handle a sq. mi., but the commute would kill me. Think I'll pass.

As to the Bobus capabilities.....Have you gotten the owners manual yet? If not, go to Miller's site and get it downloaded asap. That will be your best friend untill you get familiar with your machine. You can use CC or CV. The voltage tap is the first one on the range selector. Remember that when you use it, you will have to switch the leads to the voltage lug. The lug is the one on the far right as you face it.
    TIG is something I don't know much about.... but I do have "The Book"! It says the Bobus needs a HF- 250 unit to do the TIG thing. I think that unit is now the HF-251. Maybe Andy could verify that when he's done racin'. I think it needs a seperate contactor also. It is listed along with the HF unit in the current catalog.

BTW, I was kidding about the suitcase.... but if you get a couple, give me a jingle. I'm sure we could work something out.

Leave a comment:

• moe1942
    replied
    Don,

That's what I like about this site. Straight answers from those who have been there. I just talked to my son and he said I would have a suitcase when he came back here. If he happens to snag two you are first in line for the second one.

He wants to get a job with Union Tank Car Co. that is locating here. They will start taking apps in Jan 05. He's a pipefitter at a co. in Milwaukee and he wants to get out of there. He is certified in everything but stick so he might get lucky.

Gonna be a lot of crete poured Don. I forget the under cover dimensions but it will be huge. Want to bid on one square mile???

You can tell I haven't done any homework on what the Bobcat will do. Can it use CC feeders or only CV. Also, what are the TIG capabilities. I see one of those in my future.. Might as well put my order in before my son heads south

Stay dry,

Moe

Leave a comment:

• DDA52
    replied
    Moe
    You can't use a RC feeder with the Bobus, only a VS. The 225G isn't set up for the remote. BTW, if you find more than one.... you've got my number!

Don't let others tell you that the Bobcat can't be used for power while welding cuz it can. Mine has run 1000 watts of lights and a grinder or large hammer drill all while welding. Your available wattage depends on the amperage you're running. If you stay within the wattage limits, you will be ok. Just because you don't have the dial at 100 doesn't mean you don't have any juice. Here is what my book says we have with the 225G:

amps- watts
    175-max - 0
    150 - 1050
    125 - 1800
    90 - 3500
    70 - 4500
    50 - 5500
    0 - 8000

At the time I was running all that stuff, I was welding 16 ga studs. I know for a fact that I was running 56 amps DCEN. I had tons of power available at that setting. I have done some heavy structural with it also. My helper was still able to run a grinder while I was welding, albeit a small one. Running maybe 140-145a., I had about 1100w. Just enough to run an 8 amp grinder.

Leave a comment:

• dhoop
    replied
    disposible units

hey moe,
    sounds like you are diggng in the right trash can!!!. when you are a one man show that set up will work great for you.....i left the bobcat at the remote site and would replace it in a heartbeat to the back of my rig with the 32 super suitcase(and will eventually will). My big blue is trailered and that works well for me. dhoop

Leave a comment:

• moe1942
    replied
    dhoop,

Thanks for the feedback. Hoping my son can get me a 8VS where he works. They don't repair anything. Toss it out. I got the Bobcat from him. The Onan threw a rod. I repowered it with A Kohler and it works great. Thought a feeder would give me a great all around unit.

Have only done a few test welds with the Bobcat. The only downside I can see is it's a one man unit. No tool use when welding. Not a problem since I am only one deep....

moe1942

Leave a comment:

• dhoop
    replied
    hey moe,
    this is fast can't type that fast! i used the VS only with the bobcat. i run the 12 rc suitcase off of the big blue which is set up better for that. with a fourteen pin remote setup. I lived v. remote and used that as my welding set up ran a spectrum plasma cutter as well off the bobcat. all of that worked well for me. dhoop

Leave a comment:

• moe1942
    replied
    dhoop,

Thanks for the reply. I'm new to MIG so have a lot of questions. Can the Bobcat handle both current and voltage sensing feeders? If so which operates better?

moe1942

Leave a comment:

• dhoop
    replied
    suitcase 8vs

good am moe1942,
    I have some experiance with drivers i had a abobcat 225g ran a 32 super. suitcase older model still have it and was pleased with it i still have the 32 super. And now run suitcase 12 rc off of a big blu. 302 and am just as pleased (if not more) will try the vs suitcase off of that sooner or later when the need arrises . the sensing clamp. on the vs suitcase must have good contact i found. anyhow hope that helps dhoop

Leave a comment:

• moe1942
    started a topic Miller suitcase 8VS

Miller suitcase 8VS

I have Bobcat 225G and would like to get a wire feeder for it. Has anyone used a Miller suitcase 8VS feeder with a Bobcat? Read on another site that The Bobcat doesn't do well in this department. Would rather have a second opinion before investing.

moe1942
Working...
X