Stick Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stick Question

I am still learning to stick weld(but are we not all still learning?), so i have two plates 1/2 thick going to be a fillet or T weld how ever you want to say. I have 7018 1/8 and 5/32 i got today. Which one would you say would be better and how many amp should it be welded at. How many passes, what should be the bed profile.

It will be welded with a dynasty 300DX. aslo want to know about the dig function on the dynasty never used it alway left it at the preset.

Here is a pic of some scrap I did with 7018 140A on 1/2 plate what you think

pic one is the first pass and the second is with the 3rd pass on it

Gary
    Attached Files
    Dry Creek Welding
    Dynasty 300DX Tigrunner
    Trailblazer 302
    Spectrum 2050
    suitcase 12RC

By the way this can not fail!!!!!!! Must be very very strong! Its to keep the base of a cement wall base from moving while tilting it up.

I have been starting a Welding business and this is from a very large contruction company in washington state.

Thanks
    Gary
    Dry Creek Welding
    Dynasty 300DX Tigrunner
    Trailblazer 302
    Spectrum 2050
    suitcase 12RC

Comment

What are your previous welding experiences/skils? I'd be very afraid to learn SMAW on 1/2" plate and trust my welds to anything life-threatening without significant training, practice, or consultation from an expert weldor.

Hank
      ...from the Gadget Garage
      Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
      Handler 210 w/DP3035
      TA185TSW
      Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

Gary,
        Is this a fillet weld? Can't tell from the pics. Good looking weld though. Toes tied-in nicely. Are there some specs you have to qualify for this job? Might want to do a destructive analysis.

Weld on,
        Alex
        Be cool,
        Alex

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
        SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

Comment

GaryM: If you are going to weld these in the flat position I'd use the 5/32 rod. Set my mach. at about 150-155 amps and the dig at about 4-5. I would also weld both sides with a 5 pass weld this will give you about a 1/2in weld all the way around. Root pass, 2 to cover the root and 3 for a cap. A little of overkill but you will sleep better. Make sure you clean the metal with a grinder before you start and tack up both sides to eliminate draw of the steel. Your second pic. looks like you have the right idea. Since it was scrap you probably didn't clean the metal as good as you should have. It looks like you picked up some impurities which caused porosity in the weld beads. Thats okay for a quick practice run and setting your mach. you just don't want porosity in your finished weld. revpol

Comment

Gary: Normally on a big job you would have to run a plate test (guided bend test). Most of the time it's 3 positions, horiz,vert., and overhead. By reading your post you're going to weld it anyway. By looking at the pics you should be allright. I'am assuming that you are using a experianced operator on the rig. If so he should be able to make the pick and hardly move the bottum.One thing I will say tho is nobody stands between the rig and wall or behind the wall you allways stand to the sides. These plates are just stops? you,re not bolting the wall thru them are you? Are you using a lifting beem or just acouple of chokers or spreaders? Just curious. revpol

Comment

Thanks for the info!!

I have been welding for 3 years as a profession. Just never had to do much SMAW/stick welding so i dont know what Amps to run on different things.

I have been practice welding 1" coupons for my structural Cert. But the test cost $400 and i dont have the funds to take it now.

Revpol yes you are right just stops to keep it from sliding and will be removed and used again. And I have no idea how they are lifting it. I have not been to the Job site nor will I be there.

Revpol said where to set it at but what does it do??

Gary
              Dry Creek Welding
              Dry Creek Welding
              Dynasty 300DX Tigrunner
              Trailblazer 302
              Spectrum 2050
              suitcase 12RC

Comment

if its only 1/2 inch base why not mig weld it? Just a question but I would use a 71 elite dualshield 1/16 wire with one pass you should get more than enough strength. also remember, no matter what process you use there is always a concern not to overweld, its as bad or worse than underwelding.
                Trailblazer 302g
                coolmate4
                hf-251d-1
                super s-32p
                you can never know enough

Comment

The second pic looks good to me, I wouldnt have a problem with it.

Comment

dyn88
                    I would love to use MIG but i dont have one just the dynasty it was bought more for amulinum than anything. At $6k for the whole set up i did not have enough to get anything else have to save for the MIG set up. I think it will be a XMT or Invsion system.

I was thinking just a 3 pass with 5/32 root and two cover. Would have used the 5 pass like Revpol said if i was using the 1/8 rod. Well i have them all tacked up and ready to weld will post pics when i get them done.

Gary
                    Dry Creek Welding
                    Dynasty 300DX Tigrunner
                    Trailblazer 302
                    Spectrum 2050
                    suitcase 12RC

Comment

Gary
                      Been there recently. The slide plates as we call them are just to keep the panels in place during ********. They don't take much impact, relative to the weight of the panels, and if they do 1/2" plate ain't gonna hold it. ( the last one I did had an avg panel wgt of 19k lbs with the big boy at 32k)The panels are lifted from the top end and most of the weight is on the crane. For 3/8 material we always did a 3-4 pass weld with 1/8 7018. You are on the right track with the 5/32 on the 1/2" plate. You will have to play it by ear on the passes. Mostly though, 5-6 passes around 155 amps will suffice, just like Revpol said. Just make sure the legs are equal to the plate thickness on fillets.
                      Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                      '06 12RC feeder
                      Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                      Esab Multimaster 260
                      Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

I am having some trouble getting the 5/32 to flow out it want to mound up dong know if i am moving to fast or what. i can get the 1/8 to flow out and the toes of the weld are nice.

I have been trying different things but have not had any luck. tried 150-160A with 30-50 dig. Should I ocsolate(not speeled right) any or just a nice even drag like the 1/8??

Gary
                        Dry Creek Welding
                        Dynasty 300DX Tigrunner
                        Trailblazer 302
                        Spectrum 2050
                        suitcase 12RC

Comment

Gary
                          I would 170-180 amps with the 5/32. All of the other advice is good and welds don't look bad at all. Good luck.
                          KB

Comment

Yea, Canuck's right. If it is piling up, turn it up. I got to thinking that the 150 is a bit weak. I am usually running around 140 with 1/8 on 3/8" plate. 5/32 should be higher.
                            Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                            '06 12RC feeder
                            Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                            Esab Multimaster 260
                            Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Gary: Amp settings vary from mach. to mach also by wire size of leads,length and many other variables. The main thing you want is to have the puddle "flow". If you're fighting it you are doing something wrong. About the test you are practicing for, 1in is usually only given for unlimited thickness. You might want to check into a standard structual guided bend test which is a 3/8 x 6in plate where they bend a "root and face" bend. This will qualify you to weld thicknesses up to 15/16in. These tests are usually welded in 3 positions (horiz.-vert.-overhead). This may be a cheaper way to get yourself going on certs. revpol

Comment

Working...
                              X