Syncrowave 175 problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syncrowave 175 problem?

I own a miller syncrowave 175 machine which is fairly new with very little use on it. I'm a weekend car enthusiest building street rods. Recently I noticed that I get an arc between the tig torch and the grounded metal if I inadvertantly touch the torch to the metal prior to depressing the foot control. I don't recall getting this before but I'm not sure. The small arc is un-nerving and not good for the eyes when you don't expect it. The machine is set to the tig position with the remote footpedal plugged in. It happens at any amperage setting. Has anyone experienced this and is it normal or is there a problem with the machine?

Syncrowave 180 SD

I made a mistake in my question. The machine is a syncrowave 180 SD not a 175 as previously indicated. OPPS. Same question applies as in my previous post.

Comment

i get a very small, very quick arc before i press the peddle, sometimes. this also happens on my mig, sometimes. they are more like a spark, than an arc.

Comment

Never had that with my 180SD. This may be obvious, but does the meter read 0 when the pedal is not depressed?

Comment

syncrowave 180 sd

My machine does not have a meter. I thought it might be the foot pedal adjustment so I made sure that the foot pedal control was coirrectly adjusted and all the way up.

Comment

Yours must be one of the older models. But offhand, it sounds like a miscalibration of the footpedal. I don't know how it adjusts, or exactly how you could test the pin-outs, but there must be a way to make sure the physical position of the pedal and the signal being supplied are in sync. Perhaps someone here or at Miller customer service has the labels for the footpedal pin-outs?

Comment

Dan Payne, check to see if you have gas coming out all the time, that means the foot pedal is on, I had this problem with my Synchro 250 after dropping the foot pedal, it had bent something inside, I just bent back the offending part and Voila...You do have the amperage and output set to remote? If output is set to machine, the torch would be hot .
              As S10 said, he gets this off his mig [little tinyarc], I have noticed that on the Lincolns like he has and the really cheap chinese stuff.
              More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

Good point,
                Check to see if the gas in flowing. It shouldn't if not on the pedal. Also try unplugging the pedal to see if this stops it. Also, also, can you hear the H.F. going inside the machine? It may be stuck on.

Andy

Comment

Ok- That's lots of good advice. I'll check tonight if unplugging the remote does any good. Also I definately know that the gas is not coming out until I press the pedal. I'll post my testing results tomorrow. Thanks, Dan

Comment

Now- nothing works. Welder has power, fan is running but there is no power in either the stick or tig mode. Any suggestions?

Comment

Sounds like a trip to the service center

Comment

Working...
                      X