• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbe need's help

I own a miller millermatic 130
    cv-dc Welding power source/ wire feeder

using .023 wire can't tell if it is flux or hard core I belive its flux

my Biggest problem is that i want to learn how to weld so i can build my own off road vehicle from scratch .

So here is the deal where i live they don't teach welding and i need to know how to learn
    i am starting on my own to teach myself but this will take to long and the only school to teach welding is apec tech in new york city . Not only does it take eighteen month's to finish it is also cost 14,000 dollars. also none off the college on long island teach this technical ability.
    any help would be appreciated

the newbe

What area of Long Island? I lived there for 34 years. Try BOCES technical school. They have a lot of classes that they offer at night. Try one of the community colleges, I took some welding classes at a community college here in Colorado at night. It was more of an adult education class, no tests no certificate. Hope this helps.
    MM 210 w/Spoolgun
    Cutmaster 38

Comment

I have a Millermatic 130 XP and use it quite frequently. I was fortunate enough to have classes close. First, you need to decide if the wire is flux core or not. If it isn't, you will need sheilding gas. If there is a welding shop or store in the area, you could take it to them. Or, you could e-mail the manufacturer and get confirmation based on the part number.

The basic technique is a simple backward "e". Start the arc, let the wire feed in one place for a second or so until a puddle is formed. Then slowly move the wire out past the edge of the puddle about a one or two wire diamters in the direction you wish to weld. In a continuous motion, loop the tip back in a counter-clock wise motion so that you've circled back to where the forward edge of the orginal puddle was. The loop should be a wire width wide. When you get to this point, again wait a half to one second, then repeat the forward movement and loop back. Try it on some flat bar or plate to get the idea.

If there is a welding shop around, approach them about get a few minutes of time with one of their MIG welders. You will pick it up quickly and find so many uses for your 130, you will wonder how you ever lived without a hot glue gun on hand.

Comment

KPOBRIEN:
        Welcome aboard there are a bunch of great welders in this group so read alot of the history and look at posts for mm135 and mm130 machines and you'll pick up a bunch.

As far as getting some practice the basic tools will be a wirebrush a pair of mig welders gloves and a welding hood. Then get some pieces of metal usually I would go to the metal supply and tell them your new and want to learn they will probably charge you for the first batch of scrap cutoffs but after they get to know you it'll be either cheap or free, welding new metal is easier to learn on but you can learn either way, practice, practice, practice.

Keep us up on your progress,

ps. if you have a digil camera post a few pics when you get going.

Comment

KPO,

Welcome.

If your wire is .023 it most likely is NOT flux core type wire. Flux type wire is usually a dull grey ro silver color with hard wire being more copper colored unless it's uncoated.

Make sure you download the product manual from our other site. It will give you some things to check such as polarity setting and the physical operation of your unit.

Practice.

Here's the link to the manual

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o1309e_mil.pdf

Have fun

Andy

Comment

KPO,

Hiya!

In addition to the above, once you get to the point where you are figuring out what this metal-melting thing is all about, start putting some $$ in the bucket for a welder in the MM210 class if you want to build anything that your life may depend on. I own a MM135, and it just won't get you there for structural welds on stock thicker than .125.

Hank
            ...from the Gadget Garage
            Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
            Handler 210 w/DP3035
            TA185TSW
            Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

Kpobrien

If you go up route 107 from the south shore to Bethpage, just before you come to the old GRUMMAN PLANT 5 you will find a trade school that teaches welding.It's on the right hand side as you go North. Drove past it every day for 20 years but can't tell you the name of it. Do know the neighbors two boy's took welding classes there.
              Harold
              Harold
              Craftsman Colormatic AC
              Victor Journyman Setup
              Syncrowave 180 SD
              MM210 With Spoolgun
              Dynasty 200 DX
              Spectrum 625 Plasma Cutter
              Miller HD Tape Measure

Comment

thank yopu i am going to by there tomorrow to see if i can find it thank you

Comment

went buy over the weekend and didn't see the place if you have any more info that would bbe great

Comment

Sorry you couldn't find it, hope I'm not wasting your time. Will call my daughter in West Islip; She is living in our house back there, and ask her to talk to the neighbor, they may remember the school name. They could have relocated after Grumman closed down most of the plants. Many businesses have closed or moved. If you have access to a Bethpage phone book i'd try that.
                    Harold
                    Harold
                    Craftsman Colormatic AC
                    Victor Journyman Setup
                    Syncrowave 180 SD
                    MM210 With Spoolgun
                    Dynasty 200 DX
                    Miller HD Tape Measure

Comment

Called daughter, she said neighbors think it was BOCES.
                      Good Luck Harold
                      Harold
                      Craftsman Colormatic AC
                      Victor Journyman Setup
                      Syncrowave 180 SD
                      MM210 With Spoolgun
                      Dynasty 200 DX
                      Miller HD Tape Measure

Comment

BOCES
                        Here is alink to suffolk and nassau boces sites. They list welding courses just like I said. www.sricboces.org/
                        www.nassauboces.org/
                        www.sricboces.org/ICC/
                        Good luck,Don
                        MM 210 w/Spoolgun
                        Cutmaster 38

Comment

thank you for the sites every time i caled the said we don't know how to help you so thank you verry much

Comment

Classes

Hey KP
                            I live on the Island and deal with Air Weld in Farmingdale on Marine St.
                            They offer classes in all types of welding.Weekends also available.
                            Good Luck;Mike

Comment

Working...
                            X