Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blown S-10
    replied
    lol. i'll probably use it when i get good at it. the torch seems like a real nice setup.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    that's it you show em all LOL

Leave a comment:

• dumbass
    replied
    "just like a dealer to get ya hooked on the good stuff so ya gata come back for more LOL"

Thats why im not even going to use it. I framed it on my wall.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    Blown S-10

i think thats what i got. look at how much they are

just like a dealer to get ya hooked on the good stuff so ya gata come back for more LOL

Leave a comment:

• Blown S-10
    replied
    thanx eric. i'll get one of those for future use.

dumbass
    looking at that link, i think thats what i got. look at how much they are

Leave a comment:

• dumbass
    replied
    Blown
    The electrode that comes with the wp 17 pro is the cream colored "high performance" type, or at least that is what mine came with and what it is supposed to come with.

Shop at Arc-Zone.com for the largest selection of top brand welding supplies and accessories. Helping welding & metal fabricators, engineers, industrial suppliers, governments & systems integrators find the best solutions. Simple, No-Hassle Satisfaction Guarantee.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    eric75

sound's like a prity good anser to me

Leave a comment:

• eric75
    replied
    I don't know how to answer that.

If you are just starting out you probably won't notice any difference, and it is better to save the $4. Until you can make a few good looking beads it is probably best to not be distracted by diffenent set-ups and accessories. Just use something that somone else recommends.

Once you get proficiant at welding flat plates together, that is the time to start trying out new things, new welder settings, new plate thickness, new joint geometry, and lastly new accessories.

With experince you get a favorate set-up for each situation. Add a gas lens to your parts collection, and try it a few times. From there it's up to you whether to use it or not.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    thanks

great explanation, just got a quick ??for ya.
    you said
    If you are just starting out I recommend not using one because a build up of splatter will destroy it.

so should we not use it when starting just because of the $$$ of the lense or would it make it harder to lern or harder to use a reg torch setup?
    i do this for fun in my shop so i'm not making any $$$ from it. so would the gas savings be werth it to use a gas lense all the time ? or is there more to concider than just $$$ of lense and gass$$$ ?
    thanks

Blown S-10
    sorry for the hijak on your thred but you might be wondering too

Leave a comment:

• eric75
    replied
    gas lens explanation

The gas lens smoothes the stream of purge gas so that you get better shielding of the weld puddle. For welding in tight spots it allows the tungsten to be extended further from the nozzle while still being protected by the stream of argon. If you have taken the time to clean the base metal, the gas lens will help to reduce the discoloration associated with hot steel being exposed to oxygen. It will reduce the likelihood that a gust of air can get to the tungsten or the weld puddle and contaminate it. Because the effect of the shielding gas is improved, many welders find that they can reduce their flow rates without a reduction in weld quality.

A gas lens replaces the collet body (brass cylinder with threads on one end and holes on the other). They usually have a slim end that screws into the torch and a wide end with a screen where the gas exits through. At my local welding supplier they run about $7.00 where a normal collet body is about $3.

If you are having problems with inadequate gas shielding, I would recommend a gas lens.

Keep in mind though, it won't do anything to help lay down a good looking bead with proper penetration. It is just as easy to learn without one, and any good welder can still do a fine job without one.
    If you are just starting out I recommend not using one because a build up of splatter will destroy it.

For a cool picture of gas flow from a TIG torch and some other useful but unrelated information check out pg 5 of this manual.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    Blown S-10

what is a gas lens ? when would it be used ?

ummm sorry havent read that far yet maybe by tomarow night if you havent got an anser yet

Leave a comment:

• Blown S-10
    replied
    James.
    i bet your right. its probably just a gerneral purpose just for you to use the torch. i have some 2% thoriated that i will be using, till i can get something better. 1.5 lanthinaded i think it is.

eric
    thats what i was looking for, but :
    what is a gas lens ? when would it be used ?

what i would like to see is a chart that shows the different sizes/types, parts that are/may need to go with them. and maybe when each would be used.

Leave a comment:

• eric75
    replied
    cup size

The cup # is the diameter of the ceramic or allumina nozzle in 16ths of an inch. For example, a #7 cup is 7/16" diameter. You may already know that it is prefferred to use a larger cup for wide open areas, but often the smaller ones are required for tighter spaces or lower flow rates.

You also want to notice that there are differnt types of cup depending on whether or not you use a gas lens. They are not interchnagable.

Nozzles also come in a short and long version to fit with short and long collet bodies. I think long is more common for 17 series torches, and better for reaching tight corners.

If all the parts fit toggther and the gas flows you must have it right, so don't get too worried about different combinations of parts.

I agree that for smaller stuff you should use a smaller tungsten. In fact you should use the smallest tungsten you can without having trouble with it balling, splitting or fouling too quickly. If you do contaminate the tungsten by dipping it in the puddle, a smaller one is easier to re-sharpen.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    what size

here is a chart that might help with the size to amp settings for tung hope it helps.
    i hope the pic is clear enough
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• stumpjumperpro
    replied
    Hey Blown S-10, good question. I also just got this machine last week and am new to TIG, so I haven't learned the different uses of the cups or different size Tung either. When I got the welder, the guys told me that 3/32 was pretty standard, so that is the size filler rods and tung I bought. I am mostly going to be working on thinner metal, such as bicycle frames, so is 3/32 too large?

Jeremy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X