• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tungsten surface finish

I use a bench grinder to do my tungsten work, my question is:
    What grit diamond wheel would give a RA20 final surface finish. The reason
    I'm asking is I have a Recent issue of the Enco Catalog and they list
    Diamond Plated grinding wheels in there 100, 150 and 220 grit. Would
    any of these be suitable for tungsten use?

I've reviewed past posts and know diamond wheels are being used, just
    wondering what works best?

Thanks for any advice!

be aware that some of those wheels are nut suitable for sharpening tungsten. Someone else might be able to help you better though. Try maybe posting a link to the wheel. Ive been at this for several years and have only used a fine and coarse(for roughing those 5/32 tungstens) aluminum oxide wheels on a 1 hp baldor grinder(you know the type with one wheel on each side).
    Trailblazer 302g
    coolmate4
    hf-251d-1
    super s-32p
    you can never know enough

Comment

check a real 1

the tung grinders use 300 and 600 grit but not shoure if you need that smoth although you are trying to get it right, so i gess get the highest grit you can.
      wondering how much $$ they want for the wheel ?
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

The Enco book lists them at $94 for 6" dia 220grit.
        I think tomorrow I am going to call diamond ground, I did not see a
        listing for just wheels on their web site. I was just having a difficult
        time finding something local. On the one side of my grinder I am running
        a fine grit Alum. oxide wheel, Just looking for something on the other
        side to do a good finish???

Comment

i would think the 220 would do it but for another $95.00 you could get a real tung. grinder (with an extra wheel right now on the arc-vone site i think)
          i dont know how long the tung grinder wheels last though.
          is the 6" wheel going to last longer ?
          thanks for the help
          ......or..........
          hope i helped
          sigpic
          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
          JAMES

Comment

a 6" wheel will last a loooooooooooooooooong time. for most of us, forever.
            grinding tungsten.

Comment

Blown S-10

a 6" wheel will last a loooooooooooooooooong time. for most of us, forever.

it has to be a coated wheel thoug not a solid dimond wheel ???

right rong ???? how long dose a normal tungsten grinders wheel last??
              thanks for the help
              ......or..........
              hope i helped
              sigpic
              JAMES

Comment

Check out the Piranha II. It puts a 20 RA finish on the tungsten and is made to sharpen .040"-3/32". This is all you will ever need for the Dynasty 200 and 300.

Comment

bench grinder

dimond ground has a bench grinder option also but no ideal what it $$$$

any ideal how to get a price from there site or do you have to e-mail them for a price?

http://www.diamondground.com/DGP.html
                  thanks for the help
                  ......or..........
                  hope i helped
                  sigpic
                  JAMES

Comment

i was refering to a standard grinding wheel. i'm going to use 2. one for roughing in the point. the other for final finish.

Comment

Blown S 10,
                      What wheels are you using on your grinder. I,m using 100grit Alum oxide
                      for roughing in point, but was wondering what work best for final finish?
                      I'm using just a standard 6 inch bench grinder also.

Thank for any info.

Comment

i don't know what i'm going to get yet. gotta stop at home depot soon.

Comment

I also use the 100 grit for rough and 220 for final with no issues. For real fine low amp Tig I will rough and finish with chem sharp.

A-

Comment

Working...
                          X