Identifying leaded bottles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Identifying leaded bottles

Looked at some 244 cft bottles the other day that a retired weldor was trying to sell. He claimed they were owned bottles that I would be able to get refilled at one of the local shops. When I called the shop they said they had never heard of him, would not refill that size bottle, and if they were leased they would seize them. So, how do I identify whether a bottle is leased or owned? I assume the neck of the bottle is stamped with some sort of markings.

My cylinders have the name of the company I leased them from stamped in the neck.

Comment

glockdoc,
      Usually the 300 cf bottles are the leased ones, I know that Linde [formally Holox] does not sell this size, only leases, even though it may have a company name on it, does not mean you can not own.....I used to have dedicated bottles, but the refillers were always losing them, and I had to wait a week or so for them to fill, so now Linde, just swaps out, they have what bottles I own listed, so there is no problem, and I never have to have them hydrostatically tested. I would contact another Vendor, and see what they say. There are some sizes that are not standard, so you may have to fanagle them into swapping them out for you, but once you get into the system, you should have no problem. Check out the date stamped for the Hydro test, if it is out of date, the weldor probably has had these for awhile, and also note, some vendors don't like refilling a competitors cylinder, hey, they are just losing business, but what ever makes um happy. Hope this helps, Paul
      More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

I bought a MIG bottle from aerogas and now use holox/linde for my tig, oxy/acet, and mig gas needs. I bought my other bottles from holox/linde. They always swap them out. I think customer owned bottles are of a certain size or color.
        Justin Starkey
        Syncrowave 250 TIGRunner
        Miller 210 MIG
        Spectrum 375 Plasma
        Ford and GM Dyno-tuning on the Moblie Dynojet trailer I built.
        VMP Tuning.com

Comment

Justin00Stangm ,color is the same from one supplier, it identifies contents, mixed gases will have a ring around neck to id, at least with Linde, and all should have sticker as to contents. Paul, [in process of moving back to Orlando]

Comment

Originally posted by paulrbrown
            [in process of moving back to Orlando]
            You sure thats a good idea? lol.
            Justin Starkey
            Syncrowave 250 TIGRunner
            Miller 210 MIG
            Spectrum 375 Plasma
            Ford and GM Dyno-tuning on the Moblie Dynojet trailer I built.
            VMP Tuning.com

Comment

With my company, and with at least two of my nearest competitors, there is no difference between leased and owned bottles. They are all on an exchange program, and we sell , or lease, all sizes, as do our competitors.

When we SELL bottles, we always tell the purchaser to keep his receipt from the cylinder purchase as he may need it to get cylinders filled, or to sell the cylinders at a later date. I also always recommend that a valid sales receipt, from a legitimate distributor, be supplied from an individual that you may be buying cylinders from. I would guess that about half the cylinders that are SOLD by individuals, are not theirs to sell.

Buyer beware.

Comment

klsm54:
                good tip, I know you are the reputable dealer from Penn, I have been lucky in NC due to the amount I purchase and the repor??? I have with my dealer, they have taken in some cylinders that were legit, but no one else would touch. It goes to show what dealer loyality is all about, I always purchase first with them, [equipment/expendables/supplies] before even checking prices, tell me I am dumb, but they have never been over the lowest price, and I have even gone in after a case of beer!!!! and they never took advantage of that fact!!!! Price is Price, but service is service and that is more important in the Long and Short Run!!!!

Justin00Stang, Dude, I am a true Orlando Native, and just can't stand not living there even after waundering the world for 20 years, who else would know that Deland is really known as the "Home of the Newly Weds and Nearly Deads".......I think I will relocate to 'Osteen', it still has the Flavor of Old Florida.......I hope......I will be down next week with a load of junk, I am relocating a small machine and welding shop, I used to be involved in offroad [VW] and flat track racing in the area. send a phone # to [email protected] and I will give you a shout if desired...Best Regards, 'Krazy Enough to Move Back' Paul .....

Comment

klsm54,
                  The guy had about 25 bottles, some in date, most were out of date. The bottles happen to be in GA but if I brought one to you to be filled what would you require before filling it? Would you just exchange it with one on the dock? Is there any way to tell if they have been stolen off of a jobsite? Serial nbr? Here in TX a couple places have said they have no problem exchanging it for a full one with nothing else from me, maybe money talks here. I wouldn't mind getting a couple if I won't be hassled about their pedigree later in the future. And then if they are just exchanged, I would think that problem would go away. So far, it sounds like it might be a problem if I decide to keep one back in GA. Guess each region or store has their own policy on what sizes they sell vs lease and refill. I do know that I can buy any size bottle I desire from the manufacturer. AirGas and others don't make them, they buy them just like I would. However, as AirGas buys out other operations and slowly become the only game in town they can make up whatever policies they desire. That may be the problem back in the Atlanta area. Thanx everyone for the info.

Comment

If you were not a customer of mine, and brought in a bottle that was not mine, I would ask for ownership papers. If you could not produce them, it then is a judgement call. I have flatly refused to exchange them, and our company has a release form that you can sign, that we put on file, saying that you own the bottles. Some dealers will exchange anything. Those dealers are not doing you, or themselves, any favors. Dealers like that make stealing cylinders a lucrative and profitable business. I would be willing to bet that when such a dealer is in an area, more cylinders come up missing from job sites, than in an area that has reputable dealers.

If the cylinders are out of test, I will not exchange them until they are tested, at your expense.

Comment

I think it's different for each area, up here in CT, our competitors don't sell the larger size cylinders 200's and 300's. I do know we fill certain customer owned tanks, who have accounts with us. Your best bet would be to look at the label of the tank and see who's tank it is, up here we have our name on the sticker that tells you what gas is inside the bottle, also check the neck ring. Next i would get the guys name that's selling the bottle, call up the company and ask them if he's leasing or owns the tanks. I've done this for my customers, either pretending to be them or work for them. I know this might be wrong but it's really the only way to find out. But as for up here, it all depends on who's name is on the neck ring and stamped into the bottle itself. Like i said before i think it all depends on what area your in. As i found out that in PA is a lot different then up here in CT/Low eastern NY

BC
                      BC

Dynasty 200DX
                      Coolmate 3
                      MM210 w/3035 spoolgun
                      Cutmaster 101
                      LC1230 12" Metal Cutting Saw

Comment

Working...
                      X