TIG Welding Cart Design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIG Welding Cart Design

I am looking for ideas to incorporate into a welding cart for a Miller 180SD/250 tig cart.

Any suggestions?

One trend I see is a general design such as this....

http://www.welders-direct.com/mercha...1/00000859.jpg

where the welder sit on top of the running gear and the tank sits on the rear.

After looking at a number of commercial and home built carts, I note that the TIG carts tend to have smaller wheels under the cart then many of the other carts meant for A-Ox, MIG and stick. Why? While I understand that the cart has to carry more weight in the rear because of the tank(s) thereby the larger wheels in the rear, shouldn't all the wheels be larger to roll over obstructions such as cables, hoses, debris. Also, are TIG welders not used in the outside world as other process types where one has to roll the cart over rough terrain? In my experience welding carts in general have undersized wheels for the environment that they have to deal with.

The cart I am building will be including a homebuilt TIG cooler. Where would you mount a cooler? Since I have yet to build the cooler, I have the option of mounting it under, along side or behind the welder.

Other questions...

What size of shielding gas tanks are common for the 180/250 size of TIG machines, how much do they weigh and what are their dimensions?

What type of storage (drawers, shelves, hooks) do you find helpful having and for what?

Has anyone built a tank lift into their carts so one does not have to lift heavy tanks?

Finally, how high would you mount a 180/250 TIG welder on a cart? Considering they are heavy units to begin with, my tendency would be to locate them as low as possible while still making the controls readily accessible to the user.

A final thought...in the future I can see myself getting an inverter such as the 200DX. At that time I suspect I will modify this cart to allow me to still use it to haul all the support equipment that a TIG machine requires so if you have any suggestions that might work for both machines I would be interested in hearing them.

Thanks for all suggestions, comments and pictures (hint-hint ) you might be able to offer.

TMT

Tig cart

I have a 180 SD, but I got the tig runner package with it, so it came with a cart. It looks like the picture of the one you have posted. I have a tank on the back of it. The only thing is I would like to put a cooler on it, but I dont know how I am going to attach it yet. I never take it out of the shop, so the wheels on it do just fine. Though as heavy as the machine is I would not want to take it anywere. I will post a pic later..
    - Michael

MM 175
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Hypertherm Powermax 180

Comment

I did a lot of research in this area and still do look for ideas. The best set up I saw for rough terrain was one of our fellow members post of a modified large wheel wagon (Home Creepo green) modified for his set up.
      As for the Bottles go you can be light and easy to handle 80cf's @ 7" x 36"or large and burly 240's @9"x 5' and heavy as HE!!... I am a light and managable guy with 3 bottles
      The engineering of the unit is a preferance only you can dream of in the fact the sky is the limit.I work movies & let me tell you some of the set ups are pretty elaborate.. One fella has a full fab shop on a 48 x 48 x 48 case including MM251, DX 200, Chop saw, drill press, porta band with stationary attachment, grinder , small oxy-ace rig and every nut & bolt you could think of. AND HEAVY let me tell you when I pushed that baby down the ramp my arms got 2" longer.
      as for the cooler most are on the bottom to keep the center of gravity down low..
      If you need some base drawings give me a pm & I will see if i can help you out.. Happen to be working a movie now but no welding rig
      There is a racing fab company also that sells toolbox frames for motor sports that is a go-cart frame that you fab the top, I believe it's erv smith, Andy probably knows.. My memory is bad..

Comment

I looked hard at the cart that comes with the TIG runner package.

I think it is a good basic design that the 250 and 350 use also.

If you look at the 250/350 dimensions, you will see that Miller tries to maintain the basic footprint so the Coolrunner 3X fits both welders.

Since I am going to build a TIG cooler, I at first was going to follow the form factor of the Coolrunner 3X that mounts underneath the 250/350. Then it occurred to me that if I get a 200DX, I would likely want to keep the TIG cooler for use with that more portable 200DX. What this means is that the actual shape and size of the homemade TIG cooler will be built to fit with either welder and it will not be built as part of the TIG cart but a separate unit.

The cart I plan on building will have a provision for two tanks if the need arises for mixing of gases.

Your comment about the total weight of the welder, tank and cart is accurate. That is why the small wheels caught my attention immediately since the more the weight, the larger and wider the wheels should be.

I have been looking at different carts on the web and on this board. I already have a preliminary design that has everything but the kitchen sink included. One of the tasks before me along with the group's help is to decide what is actually useful and what is excess baggage function wise.

I look forward to your pictures.

Thanks

TMT

Comment

Originally posted by lramberson
          I did a lot of research in this area and still do look for ideas. The best set up I saw for rough terrain was one of our fellow members post of a modified large wheel wagon (Home Creepo green) modified for his set up.
          As for the Bottles go you can be light and easy to handle 80cf's @ 7" x 36"or large and burly 240's @9"x 5' and heavy as HE!!... I am a light and managable guy with 3 bottles
          The engineering of the unit is a preferance only you can dream of in the fact the sky is the limit.I work movies & let me tell you some of the set ups are pretty elaborate.. One fella has a full fab shop on a 48 x 48 x 48 case including MM251, DX 200, Chop saw, drill press, porta band with stationary attachment, grinder , small oxy-ace rig and every nut & bolt you could think of. AND HEAVY let me tell you when I pushed that baby down the ramp my arms got 2" longer.
          as for the cooler most are on the bottom to keep the center of gravity down low..
          If you need some base drawings give me a pm & I will see if i can help you out.. Happen to be working a movie now but no welding rig
          There is a racing fab company also that sells toolbox frames for motor sports that is a go-cart frame that you fab the top, I believe it's erv smith, Andy probably knows.. My memory is bad..
          Sounds like you did the same trading offs that I am looking at right now. The all terrain approach of those evil green wagons had also caught my eye.

I am planning on using puncture proof tires so I do not have to worry about the ever present flat that seems to occur.

The use of smaller multiple bottles is being considered...one of the reasons why I am planning on multiple tanks so I can adjust the weight of the total package as needs change.

I had at first thought of putting the cooler on top of the welder since the welder is much heavier so the center of gravity stayed lower. Then I asked mysellf what would happen if I had a leak. The idea of water running down on my welder (especially with the HF component of TIG involved) convinced me that I can find a better spot for it. Miller has gone with the Coolwave bottom mounting, tank mount and suitcase packages to deal with the diferent needs of the customer.

If you have any photos of how different setups are built, I (and others) would love to see them. While I am now building a TIG specific setup (mainly to keep the total weight down), I will soon be building a portable MIG type workstation that will incorporate many of the items that you have mentioned.

I look forward to seeing more posts and pictures.

TMT

Comment

The correct name for the carts is Irvan Smith here is the link..
            http://www.irvansmith.com/catalog2/p...ns_index.shtml
            The unit I produced, photo graphed and posted is no longer on the search... Fun 4 Now worked the image & posted it, he might still have it laying around his hard drive. It is not a bad set up. for a tig station & smooth surfaces..
            Puncture proof tires are pretty pricey if you are having them filled, I put this green SLIME in & have never had a flat(4 years) pretty cheap too..
            We could probable work a nice plan on this one, I am working on a transport unit to bundle the MM251, and all other units on a all terrain frame that can be moved around rough non-paved areas.. Still in the planning stages. The movies have me pretty saddled now, but come November freedom..
            There is a lot of talent out on this forum, they will chime in, don't worry

Comment

Here's a couple of pics that a user on my site posted.

In his words

These are not carts per say, rather add-onns to the machine's running gear. These tops lift off for quick access to the insides. The synchro 180 has the tubes that hold the TIG rod riveted to the cart tray and this comes off when you lift the tray. Hope this shows up.

Hope this gives you some ideas...
              Kyle Pope
              Offroad Fabrication Network
              www.offroadfabnet.com
              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
              X