question for Hawk about the Dynastys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question for Hawk about the Dynastys

Hi Hawk, just a quick question,Do the arcs differ from the 200 and the 300 I realize the difference in power, but in there overlaping range are they comparable? The reason I am asking is because I am thinking of selling my 300 and my maxstar140 and getting a 200 I realize I will be giving up alot of power, but havent needed it to often,Plus it may give me enough cash for a passport mig. thanks again, Chub

chub380,

The arc is no different. The power is very different in a large percentage of the over lapping amperage range. For example at 180 amps the D300 with argon will instantaneously puddle and weld a 3/8" aluminum fillet. The actual weld is more like 165 amps. The D200 will struggle for the puddle at 200 amps with 75 He/25 AR amps and never get the same quality single pass weld that the D300 will. On the D200 you will really have to swirl the torch to wash your toes.

The D200 is a great machine offering portablity, almost any input power, and 3/16" aluminum capacity on a daily basis. For 1/4" material I recommend a 75He/25 Ar mix and plenty of patience. It will do 1/4" but not like the D300. As I said the D200 is a great machine, but you will surely be disappointed with the lack of power on the D200. My suggestion is to demo a D200 at a dealer before making that decision. I can give you a dozen reasons why I prefer the D300DX over the D200DX, but you need to weld with both machines.

Final point: I am taking nothing away from the Dynasty 200DX. I am only comparing its power curve to the Dynasty 300DX. I own both and would have to sell my D200DX beofre my D300DX. Let me know what you think.

The machines are similar in the 5-130 amp range. Go try a D200 and let me know what you think. Try several materials and thickness ranges. Good luck with your decision. If you are selling your D300, I'd like a shot at it as a spare for my shop.

Comment

Chub380,

The Passports are nice. As I mentioned before I had a chance to weld with a couple in the prototype stage. You won't believe what you can do on 25 gauge metal skins. It is absolutely amazing. The top end is nothing to sneeze at either!

Comment

I've been considering the two for the future as well, and I'm hung on the same fence.

Nice to read this insight here, I would have to decide what I'm welding on most, or if I mind multiple passes.

By the way, stupid question of the day> Welding terms....

What does this mean?
        "On the D200 you will really have to swirl the torch to wash your toe"

Not as much penetration, or melting away your starting beads, to get a flatter bead?

Sorry for the newb question, I think I would have a better idea if I had bought one already!!!! and welded with it.

Thanks!

Don

Comment

HAWK,
          You need a another Dynasty 300DX as a spare? You've got waaay too d*mn much money.

It's cool,
          Alex
          Be cool,
          Alex

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
          SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

Comment

TEEPS the answer you are looking for is in the tig welders handbook on the willerwelds home page. By the way the toes are the outermost portion of the bead, You never want your toes to wash over the base just into it.
            Trailblazer 302g
            coolmate4
            hf-251d-1
            super s-32p
            you can never know enough

Comment

Hawk,
              shoot me an email about a fair asking price. [email protected]

Comment

Wishful Thinking

Alex,

I wish that was a problem. Right now I am no better off than anybody else. I am always looking for a fair price on used equipment. Even though the D300 is not exactly portable I sometimes will take on to a job site and bring along a Coolmate 4 as it is much more portable than the Coolmate 3. This is not the rule, but the exception. Remember depreciation is a wonderful thing each year.

Comment

Teeps

yoy should look into getting the miller student pack $25 is a great price and a great packet

so far i have realy picked up a lot from the TIG book and i'm still reading
                  thanks for the help
                  ......or..........
                  hope i helped
                  sigpic
                  feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                  summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                  JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now
                    yoy should look into getting the miller student pack $25 is a great price and a great packet

so far i have realy picked up a lot from the TIG book and i'm still reading
                    Thanks guys, actually it just arrived in the mail!!!!
                    I haven't started on tig yet, so I should have kept my mouth shut, heh.
                    Thanks for the insight,

Don

Comment

Teeps

I haven't started on tig yet, so I should have kept my mouth shut, heh.

not true we were just trying to give you some material to help

i gess in fact there are some stupid ???'s however your's wasent 1 of them.

i havent started tig yet eather just read from the book in the kit and thought i would sugjest it to you as it has good info that has anserd may ???'s for me and thought you would benafit from the read
                      thanks for the help
                      ......or..........
                      hope i helped
                      sigpic
                      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                      JAMES

Comment

Guys, here is an example of a combination of asking stupid questions and taking great advice from the members of this board. After a few hours of practice with the Dynasty200 and listening closely to advice these are a few of my aluminum welds. The terminations need work, but I am confidant that it only gets better from here.
                        Thanks Mike
                        Regency 200 w/30A
                        Dynasty 200 dx
                        Esab 875 plasma
                        MM350-P w/30A

Comment

wheels

these are a few of my aluminum welds

ummm they look ok from here LOL

dont ya hate it when ya forget to post the pic's
                          thanks for the help
                          ......or..........
                          hope i helped
                          sigpic
                          JAMES

Comment

OOPS.....Another try!
                            Regency 200 w/30A
                            Dynasty 200 dx
                            Esab 875 plasma
                            MM350-P w/30A

Comment

This browser and I don`t see eye to eye
                              Regency 200 w/30A
                              Dynasty 200 dx
                              Esab 875 plasma