New Project / Settings & Gas Flow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Project / Settings & Gas Flow

I'm about to build an ATV Trailer out of mostly 1/4 inch angle iron. I have a MM 210 with 75% Co2 & 25% Argon and I'm using .030 wire.

1. Could someone tell me the BEST settings for tap/wire feed?

2. What EXACT flow should I put my gas on? (everyone says BETWEEN 20-25) - so I'm looking for some EXPERT advice on these settings.

Also, another option is to use my stick welder.

1. What apm settings would I use for 1/4 angle?
    2. What rods do I use?

Much Appreciation
    Brad

Millermatic 210
    Lincoln AC-250
    Custom Harley FXR Pro-Street

Originally posted by BradJacob
    I'm about to build an ATV Trailer out of mostly 1/4 inch angle iron. I have a MM 210 with 75% Co2 & 25% Argon and I'm using .030 wire.

1. Could someone tell me the BEST settings for tap/wire feed?

2. What EXACT flow should I put my gas on? (everyone says BETWEEN 20-25) - so I'm looking for some EXPERT advice on these settings.

Also, another option is to use my stick welder.

1. What apm settings would I use for 1/4 angle?
    2. What rods do I use?

Much Appreciation
    Use the door chart. Dan has more experience than I do with the 210 but the door settings are bang on if you have 225 volts service (Miller bases their numbers on 225VAC). I have 230 volts and I run the tap setting from the door chart and lower wire speed +/-10% for example if chart says 4/43 I use 4/40. f you have 220 volts you would need to raise it somewhat. Use a couple of of cut off from the project and see what works. Also, your welding habits may dictate a different setting but from all I hear the door chart is close enough for most users. There is no need to use stick unless you want to.

I had used 20scfh in the past but switched to 25 based on the manual recommendation.

Comment

Don't take this the wrong way, But if you really need to ask these questions are you sure you're ready to weld up a trailor that will be used on public roads? Once agian i am not trying to offend you. But public safty is a consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by migmaniac70
        Don't take this the wrong way, But if you really need to ask these questions are you sure you're ready to weld up a trailor that will be used on public roads? Once agian i am not trying to offend you. But public safty is a consideration.
        migmaniac70,

I understand your concern - and I know how this post must sound. Thing is, I do know how to weld - but I read all these posts about people making MIG welds that look great but aren't strong. So I was just "re-asking" to possibly squeeze out any tips from the guys with a TON of everyday experience. I'm confident with my abilities but I always "over-ask" - just to make sure. Until I'm going to have some friends (that are certified) check my welds as I go along. I'll let you all know who I make out with some pics.
        Brad

Millermatic 210
        Lincoln AC-250
        Custom Harley FXR Pro-Street

Comment

Please keep us posted, Lets see some pictures of your progress when you get going. I was hoping you wouldnt take my post the wrong way, But there are some who would of took offense from a statement not meant to be offensive, [Especially on the Hobart board]

I would tend to agree with Cope,The door chart settings are usually dead on. I would use them myself. You figure a trained pro is the one that sets the parameters on the door chart.

Comment

Working...
          X