Questions about MIG welders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about MIG welders

Okay, I need some insight. I only Hobweld but would like to purchase a mig machine but . . .

1. I know the MM210 is better than the MM175 but would both be capable of running off of a 9 KW engine driven welder (okay it's not a Miller )?

2. I've looked at the specs for the 175 and was wondering if it is adequate, although a little short on duty cycle, for spray transfer welding?

The MSRP of the MM210 is almost twice the MM175 but I'm sure the 'net' could give me a better price.

All your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    The definition of courage. "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and you see it through to the end no matter what." From "To Kill a Mockingbird"

Originally posted by Grumpy
    Okay, I need some insight. I only Hobweld but would like to purchase a mig machine but . . .

1. I know the MM210 is better than the MM175 but would both be capable of running off of a 9 KW engine driven welder (okay it's not a Miller )?

2. I've looked at the specs for the 175 and was wondering if it is adequate, although a little short on duty cycle, for spray transfer welding?

The MSRP of the MM210 is almost twice the MM175 but I'm sure the 'net' could give me a better price.

All your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
    1. Can't answer this one.

2. You wont get past Globular Transfer with a 175. The MM210 would be the optimum welder for the money. Internet prices beat retail, but many local dealers will match and in some cases beaat internet deals.

Comment

A 9000 will run the 210,, but, the 210 and the 175 are 2 different class machines, the 210 is twice the machine the 175 is. Those basic numbers dont tell the whole story.

Comment

I would have to agree. The 175 is not meant to spray. The 210 can do it but still it will be at the upper end of the machine duty cycle if you are planning to do long runs of this.

A-

Comment

THIS FORUM HAS CONVICED ME THAT THE MM210 IS IT!!!
          I TRIED DEALING WITH A COUPLE OF LOCAL WELDING SHOPS TODAY...THEY CAN'T COME CLOSE TO THE INTERNET PRICE. I EVEN TRIED TO GET THEM TO GIVE ME DISCOUNTED PRICES ON ACCESSORIES AND EVEN THOUGH THEY DID (SORTA) THE DIFFERENCE WAS STILL TO MUCH Vs INTERNET.
          SO I WILL BE FORCED TO ORDER IT OFF THE INTERNET.
          WOULD LIKE TO HEAR FROM ALL WHO HAVE ORDERED WELDERS OFF INTERNET
          AND LET ME KNOW 1. WHO YOU ORDERED FROM - GOOD EXPERIENCE ? 2. EVEN THOUGH SHIPPING IS FREE.....FOR A 200lb WELDER IT CANNOT GO BY UPS OR FEDEX SO IS THERE AN ADDITIONAL FEE FOR BRINGING TO YOUR HOUSE ? LOOKING AT THE 210 ON "IOC" AND "CYBERWELD" SO FAR. IOC HAS THE BEST PRICE @ $1177.00

PJ
          Thanks,

PJ

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt
          MM 210 + spoolmate

Comment

What was the dealer cost by the way? My dealer doent even fool around, he quotes a good price right off the bat although they hooked me a little on a hood. They have to make money somewhere though. The 175's have their place but the 210 is a "real machine". I like them for a couple reasons but one big one is that it really is a full size machine and makes a good option between the 250's and the small ones. Most of the work in this class is short arc and this will run 035 well where a 175 would be choking. Most of the time in a small shop anything beyond that is moot anyway. Its also got a good duty cycle so you wont have to keep a close eye on it to keep from burning it up. My neighbor hit the thermal on his MM175 a couple times, running 030,, although it was sitting in the sun. Yes, its 400 more than a 175,,, but its also 500 less than a 251. Its also easier on the electric service requirements. Very good niche fit and you will love it.

Comment

SBERRY
              If your asking PEJENKINS, my dealer price was $1190.00 but then they had to add tax which brought the total to $1250 + . Even with a discounted "jackson" helmet and discounted spool of wire the difference was still better than $50 (and I really don't need a new helmet!!). I will try to check one more dealer here in K.C. and see if I can do better.

PJ
              Thanks,

PJ

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt
              MM 210 + spoolmate

Comment

pejenkins,
                A friend of mine ordered a mm210, spoolgun from IOC earlier this summer
                Everything showed up and works just fine. He had it shipped to his work
                and they just used the loading dock. I ordered a plasma cutter from them
                also, no problems at all.

Comment

I would give the dealer the 50 or 75 difference just to build some relationship with them,,, when you said there was a big difference I thought you meant 2-300,,, How tight you want to squeeze these guys? Thats a good price, I would have said,, load it up and been done with it.

Comment

Also,, a dealer often gives some personal service, mine is a satalite store, but employs 2 local guys, pays local property taxes on a building, buys local fuel, stocks 1,000's $ in bottles, gasses , rods, tips, wire, etc. Took the time the other day to look up and order parts for a 25 yr old machine, talks to me and answers questions, and will load the thing up,, and give a fair competitive price. I even seen them take back a welding hood the guy just wasnt "happy with" and give him a different model, on the spot, no question.

Comment

Now he has to put up with a bunch of window shoppers too,,, which he takes an hr and doesnt make a sale.

Comment

I would have to agree with Sberry on this one. $50-$100 seems like alot sometimes but not in this case. I would've done the dealer to start building a relationship. I like calling and telling them to have a bottle ready for me to pick up or I'll even get to try an odd mix for free if they think it will be a sale later. I get there and my bottle's ready with my name on it and he loads it for me too.
                        Good luck with your machine. You'll like it!!

Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Sberry
                          I would give the dealer the 50 or 75 difference just to build some relationship with them,,, when you said there was a big difference I thought you meant 2-300,,, How tight you want to squeeze these guys? Thats a good price, I would have said,, load it up and been done with it.
                          I Just sold my 300 Thermal-arc prowave to my dealer and he made about $300 dollars on the sale. He could of just sold it for me for alot less money. Meaning I would of took less of a loss. What does this do for me? He alway gives me deals when we start out and I give them back. He also told me that if I want a new 350 mpi he will call the local esab reb for a extra 5% off of the retail price. So with my discount already I get smoking deals. Rememeber the 90 amp esab 1500 plasma I paid 1726 for? It was new in the box but somebody looked at it and I got a demo price and every other discount that could be worked on it. I saved about $1000.00 on that deal alone. All this did not happen over night either, it came from building a solid relationship with these guys. Did I ever tell you how much I paid for a demo ( Great shape powermig 300 with a python? )

Comment

Yeah, you guys are right!!!
                            I got all caught up in the moment didn't I ?
                            I do watch my money.......but don't need to be cheap!!!
                            I think (and I told the dealer this) that it is unfair that they have to compete against internet vendors. These are org. that carry no stock, pay no state sales tax to the state the item was sent to (which congress/state legislatures should correct) and are not really there if a warranty issue comes up.
                            Tell ya what, I will go see my local dealer, order my machine, thank him for being there, and start building that relationship. By the way, this is the same
                            company I have ordered 2 other welders (Miller stick/sm MIG) so I guess I just expected more.....but they can only do so much.

PJ
                            Thanks,

PJ

Miller AC/DC Thunderbolt
                            MM 210 + spoolmate

Comment

Originally posted by Bendaman
                              pejenkins,
                              A friend of mine ordered a mm210, spoolgun from IOC earlier this summer
                              Everything showed up and works just fine. He had it shipped to his work
                              and they just used the loading dock. I ordered a plasma cutter from them
                              also, no problems at all.

I had them send my 210 to the house. I backed my pickup up to histailgate and the driver insisted on doing all the heavy work.

Comment

Working...
                              X