Learning to Weld, Ugly Mig 135a pictures>

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Learning to Weld, Ugly Mig 135a pictures>

Needed to make this part, figured it was a good time to practice before I jump into the stainless tubing :O

I know, I know, don't quite my day job, heh,
    Well atleast I'm learning.

I wanted to practice, I had orgininally welded two 1/8 plates together, but they were flat agains each other, so the welds didn't really turn out like I wanted, I thought they didn't penetrate, but I found out they did when I ground them down.
    So then it was time to add one more 1/8" plate to the fused pair.
    I thought I'd partice with a gap between, although I made the gap larger than it really should have been, I wanted to space it out to make the part larger (spacer/block-off plate), but mostly I wanted to try bridging a larger gap, as I see people try to do this welding technique (stack of dimes, etc).

Just going straight down the (properly sized 1/16"th) joint is easier, although I do admit, the larger gap, requiring the need to weave leaves a flatter bead, and I like that too.

Pictures are in order, first one shows piece just tacked at four courners, 2nd weld was fuggly, with some holes (not a real structural piece, way over welded anyway.) I seem to get a little better from there, or maybe not.

All welding done on home depot steel 1/8", re-cut off some practice welds. (gotta love the die grinder, and 4.5" dewalt angle grinder)

135 amps welder, about 4/10 wire speed, and voltage to the top.
    C-25 gas, with the usual .025 L56 steel wire came from Lincoln (home depot).

Thanks for your constructive critizisms :-)

So I take it this is short-circuit, and this is what welds look like on a 135 amp machine, (C25) gas, on mild steel with L56, or no?
    I know I need more practice, this is the very first time I've tried to weave a bit, and I know a screwed up in a few spots.

I'm envious of those spray arc welds from the 200+ amp machines

This plate was made to block off the intake manifold port, where the egr valve used to sit, have to drill some holes now.
    Attached Files

Here is the project, tight space to work in!!!
    Attached Files

Comment

mm135

the mm135 is more than capeable of makeing some fine welds and soon so too will you be.
      mine looked simmiler to your first trys once apon a time

i think they look much better now
      keep practising you will get it

here is a pic of a part i put togather with the mm135, it also shows a side view of thw pices i put togather
      Attached Files
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

After looking at your welds, I see I have A LOT to learn!

Nice looking!!!

Comment

first mig

my mm135 was and still is the only mig i have ever used . did a lot of O/A work manny years ago. was real impressed with the mm135 i have only had it sence feb.2004. you will be amazed how quickly you will improve
          its a swet lil welder that i found verry easy to get setup on and the lerning curve was smoth and quick.
          ummmm i still have load's to lern and by no means think myself an expert. but i love lerning, playing, and just plain old having fun with this welder . i'll be getting a dyn.200DX in nov. and expect it to be equaly fun in the long run although a bit more trubelsome to lern .

for me its all about the fun, so i have the luxury of no deadlines witch helps greatly by taking the stress out of it and just leaving the fun
          thanks for the help
          ......or..........
          hope i helped
          sigpic
          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
          JAMES

Comment

my first welds looked that bad too. 2 pounds of wire later they are starting to look a lot better. keep on burning wire and doing some destruction testing to see how everything fuses together. it will come in time and burning up some steel is a whole lota fun. i have had my welder for 2 months and i have been having a blast.

Comment

I need to find a bunch of scrap too, I'll start calling the exhaust shops, and machine shops to see if they have scrap they don't need.
              So far the destructive testing I've done shows good penetration.

Just fugly.

Comment

Ye who hath not sinned cast the first stone!

We all started somewhere, some start young, others start old but when we get the hang of it, it's all good and kinda fun too.

Keep makin sparks and when you hit a speedbump let us see if we can help, long distance.

Peace,

Comment

2 pounds of wire later they are starting to look a lot better

about 20lbs. for me but i'm getting there
                  thanks for the help
                  ......or..........
                  hope i helped
                  sigpic
                  JAMES

Comment

Working...
                  X