Just a weld form my newest Miller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cope,
    Why in the world do you still have a full bottle of 90/10? You should be usin' it. I ordered a 80 ft (Q) bottle of it from Praxair last Friday. They don't keep it handy 'cuz everyone around here just does short arc. Had to give my bottle of 75/25 to my son, so I'm dry until that one comes in. Probably be here next Monday. Saw another post talkin' about rising wire prices, have you noticed any increase in Houston lately?

Later,
    Alex
    Be cool,
    Alex

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

Comment

Originally posted by Alex
      Nice lookin' weld, Dan. I hope mine look as good when I get my bottle of 90/10 for my MM251.

Alex
      Alex,

When I test drove the MM 251 for spray arc at my local welding supply store, i used 90/10, and the result looked exactly the same as the weld i posted. 90/10 will produce a a more uniform weld bead penetration, so as soon as I empty my current bottle of 98/2 i'll probably switch to the 90/10 too.

Comment

Originally posted by 2002vlx
        Dan! Those welds are beautiful, and I'm sure they're as strong as they look good. Were those welded with a slight weave pattern, or what? You must have one **** of a steady hand(s). I always get a couple good shakes in there from this ol body during a bead.

Yeah, there is definitely no lack of fusion issues with the welds that I posted. i ve cross section and acid etch several of them, and the weld penetrates into the legs of the joint and the root.

The welds were all produced on 1/4" mild steel. So, at the load voltages, and amperages (volume of wire being thrown into the weld) that i ran the welds, all i had to basically do was travel straight along the weld joint.

Comment

Originally posted by Teeps
          I HATE YOU!!!! j/k'ing
          **** you, off I go to the blood donation center, mm 251 fund taking donations.

Can't do that kind of weld with my 135 amp machine, no way.

Actually it will probably be the miller 210 fund for me though.

I ve had a MM 210 for about 2 1/2 years now, and it's a pretty good unit. I like it because the tapped voltage selection design of it makes it quite easy to dial the short circuit transfer arc in on.

You'd be suprised to see how much of a difference there is in how the weld wets out between your MM 135 and the MM 210 on material as thin as an 1/8". Reason being, because the 135 welds 1/8" at a lower amperage and voltage then the 210. Here's a 210 short arc weld on 1/8".
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Alex
            Cope,
            Why in the world do you still have a full bottle of 90/10? You should be usin' it. I ordered a 80 ft (Q) bottle of it from Praxair last Friday. They don't keep it handy 'cuz everyone around here just does short arc. Had to give my bottle of 75/25 to my son, so I'm dry until that one comes in. Probably be here next Monday. Saw another post talkin' about rising wire prices, have you noticed any increase in Houston lately?

Later,
            Alex
            Alex,

I bought the 90/10 for spray with my old PowCon, but the concensus is that 98/2 would work better. I have tried the 90/10 for short arc and it works OK. Yes, wire is higher here; I bought 33# from a distributor 16 months ago and 2 weeks ago he quoted me a 25% increase on the same brand. FWIW, Northern Tool has 33# Weld-it .035 for $59.95. Don't know what Brenham's prices are.

Comment

Well guys,

For the wire increases, everyone except canada, you should all be paying around 40-50 bucks per spool and if your distributor is selling it for more then it's just wrong. But that weld-it brand is no good, i've used it and i had to use 3 33lbs spools before i got one that didn't bind up in the spool, when they spool the wire they don't spool it uniform so the wire that's getting pulled out is buried underneath 3-4 layers of wire.

BC
              BC

Dynasty 200DX
              Coolmate 3
              MM210 w/3035 spoolgun
              Cutmaster 101
              LC1230 12" Metal Cutting Saw

Comment

Originally posted by BCarlucci
                Well guys,

For the wire increases, everyone except canada, you should all be paying around 40-50 bucks per spool and if your distributor is selling it for more then it's just wrong. But that weld-it brand is no good, i've used it and i had to use 3 33lbs spools before i got one that didn't bind up in the spool, when they spool the wire they don't spool it uniform so the wire that's getting pulled out is buried underneath 3-4 layers of wire.

BC
                BC,

I have never used the 33# spools, but I have used the 12# spools and I have never experienced, nor have I heard of, a problem with them until your post. Thanks for the information. I can get J.W. HArris cheaper anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan
                  Here's a 210 short arc weld on 1/8".
                  Hey Dan,

Real nice. What were your settings (tap, feed) for this?

I tried your settings last night (tap:7/80) and made some nice welds.

Welds that cleaned up really nice too with the grinder.

One thing: - my welds with your settings sure made a "large" bead with a lot of filler metal.

I was welding 1/4 inch. I'll post pix - it was too late last night to photo and upload so I'll be doing it in the next day or so.

Another thing I realized: Once you get your settings down (25%) it's ALL skill and technique after that (75%) !!!!

You REALLY have to have a steady hand to produce welds like your new 251 picture. As always, practice, practice, practice...
                  Brad

Millermatic 210
                  Lincoln AC-250
                  Custom Harley FXR Pro-Street

Comment

Originally posted by BradJacob
                    Hey Dan,

Real nice. What were your settings (tap, feed) for this?

I tried your settings last night (tap:7/80) and made some nice welds.

Welds that cleaned up really nice too with the grinder.

One thing: - my welds with your settings sure made a "large" bead with a lot of filler metal.

I was welding 1/4 inch. I'll post pix - it was too late last night to photo and upload so I'll be doing it in the next day or so.

Another thing I realized: Once you get your settings down (25%) it's ALL skill and technique after that (75%) !!!!

You REALLY have to have a steady hand to produce welds like your new 251 picture. As always, practice, practice, practice...
                    Brad,

The short arc weld on 1/8" was done with an .035 E70S-6 and c-25 using the tap#3 and 40 wire speed setting off the door chart. The doorchart for 1/8" on my unit with an .030 or .035 is pretty solid.

BTW, to run the 7/80 settings you were using an .030 wire i hope. If you were using an .035, i don t recommend doing that again, because with the wire speed set to 80 with an .035 solid wire, you looking at potential some where around 250 amps, which isn t good for the unit obviously.

With the 7/80 setting and an .030 wire, your rate of travel is going to need to be quicker then what you are use to with short circuit transfer, because you are depositing quite a bit more weld metal. Plus the higher voltage causes the weld puddle to wetout quicker too.

Comment

Working...
                    X