Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP! With Dynasty 200 "Help" messages!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASKANDY
    replied
    J-shovel,

Any resolution with the Dynasty?

Andy

Leave a comment:

• dyn88
    replied
    fun is absolutely correct on the switch loop ussualy you label each end with red electrical tape.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    dyn88

ther are exceptions to the white= nutral
    a switch loop is 1 of them and i'm shoure there are others . however it is important to lable it whenever it is used in this way
    just thought i would say it befor our new "frend" screems it at you

my apologees to the rest of this board for my posts last night it was late and i felt i was unjustly being ataked for giving some good advice about things he clearly was not aware of.

he should be verry glad that he got a miller as i'm not shoure how many times the other company's would keep replacing a machine that it would seem operator erer has agreat deal to do with the failure

again im sorry for my rude comments

Leave a comment:

• BCarlucci
    replied
    Dyn88,

I agree totally with you on all subjects there, we're just about bunch of welders who in our own ways give advice when asked, sometimes even the most experienced welder sometimes forgets things, i.e wiring, leads, grounds, etc. So don't bark at us when you ask us a question. I have a customer that has an older Dynasty Machine, not a 200 or 300, but a Dynasty. And that Help-8 signal came on when he was doing alum. I looked at his tungsten and it had Alum all over it, because he dug it into the alum but kept welding. We cleaned the tungsten and i didn't do it again till he dug the tungsten into the Alum and got it covered again. Cleaned it off and it worked fine. After we shut the machine off and turned it back on. I don't know what this does to the electrical part of the machine, but i don't think it's good for it. But i hope this helps in some small way, and any replies critizing my advice or input and you can kiss my you know what.

BC

Leave a comment:

• dyn88
    replied
    if you are unable to take the constructive critisism at this board then you probably shouldnt ask for advise. I have found that as some people here may seem harsh they are mearly trying to convey their advise. I believe that no body here is trying to make you seem a fool as you may feel. Rants like that only do that for you. By the way the white is never used for a hot lead unless you want to give the guy years from now who finds the cable a surprise, and the third pin on the plug for single phase 208 is for the neutral not the ground. The ground and neutral are very close to being the same but the nuetral needs to go thru the transformer before it gets sent to earth. And I would hope that everybody except experienced do it yourselfers would rely on a QUALIFIED electrician to hook up their equipment. I know I call one always when new equipment comes in. Some companies wont replace equipment or parts for free if they find out that an electrician didnt wire the equipment. And yes I found this out the hard way.twenty horspower motors for cnc's arent cheap and 1 week off from work lets you make sure you know it. So take a deep breath calm down and realize no one is here to critisize you. We all just want to offer our help. Its like a cookie jar, leave the ones you dont want and take the ones you do.
    gfy and read your manual. Yet another thing thats neccassary. In fact Ill bet one of the first pages reads this"read this manual before turning your new miller machine on". Or something to that effect.

Thanks for letting me know that you cant take advise so I know not to share my experience with you. And I think a few other people share that sentement. But I am capable of accepting that I may be wrong.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    by the way

you are welcome for the advice not to ball the tng and not to use pure tugsten but i gess your frends with all there experionce told you that anyway

oh wait they seemed to forget that part gess i knew more than them too

is it getting sarcastic yet

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    sarcasm

seem's you are the only 1 with that problem.

if you know so much why did you try to ball the tung.
    i have been welding for less than 1 year and it would apear i know more about your machine than you do
    i gess next time you feel the need to ask for help ill give you somthing like

duuuu try turning it on

then you can preach without looking like a d---

BTW i was well aware of what ground you were talking about (the work clamp) eather way it is the same problem on eather

have a nice day and i hope you never get the welder to work

Leave a comment:

• j-shovel
    replied
    Andy thanks very much!!....

Originally posted by ASKANDY
    I would have to agree. Like I said before, It sounds like the machine is trying to give you all it has and with the bad extension cables or poor connections, it could go into that fault.

Keep trying, these machines are pretty bulletproof and for you to have 2 bad ones is quite an odd breaker.

a-

I appreciate it!!
    yeah I was thinking the same thing but after talking to soo many people and then to the WI. Miller Tech I was totally stumped! Thanks again!

J-shovel

Leave a comment:

• j-shovel
    replied
    Yess, I agree....

Originally posted by fun4now
    and thanks for the input

persoaly i think the problem lies in the balling of the tunsten and the spliced ground clamp wires.
    he stated thet it looked like ther was an arc struck in the 2 ground clamps at the conecter
    this sounds like it was not tight enough and when he balled the tungsten he drew higher Amps then the welder was desined to draw and causing a short of sorte in the conecter, as andy siad could have fryed the arc starter.

it seems that miller has done every thing 1 could ask by first repairing it and when it looked like it could be a lemen they gave him a new 1 just incase. that IMO is great service.

however i realy hope he can get this isue sorted out and get back to what he got it for making some realy sweet weld's

in short he realy needs to read the book befor playing with the welder, or any power tool for that matter
    *** ALSO OF NOTE!!!! I posted that it was the "GROUND" that had an extension on it,..I had actually meant that it was the "hot" line for my torch that has the exension on it,...VERY DIFFERENT FROM THE GROUND LINE!!

By the way, you had said, "persoaly i think the problem lies in the balling of the tunsten and the spliced ground clamp wires."

I have "always" balled up my tungston when doing aluminum,...I have NEVER known it to be any other way until now with this new technology,...so its not that uncommon to do so, especially when after talking to three fellow welders we all agreed that balling up the tungston should have nothing to do with the problem,...one is actually a welding instructor and has been welding for 14 years,..the other two have been welding for 20!! Using red 2% thoriated ONLY! is something I would not have thought of since I have ALWAYS used green for Aluminum as almost everyone else has. Now quite honestly,I didn't see anywhere in the manual where it said NOT to use green tungston?? Did I miss something in there?? its always possible!

"however i realy hope he can get this isue sorted out and get back to what he got it for making some realy sweet weld's
    "
    Thanks,..yeah tell me about it,..me too!!

"in short he realy needs to read the book befor playing with the welder, or any power tool for that matter"

"Playing" with a welder?? I'm sorry, and how long have the newer technology inverters been around?? NOT LONG!! I have welded with XMTs , Old Airco welders, Trailblazers, hobarts, etc.....please read my initial posting,..all of it,..I'm pretty sure I mentioned this before!! was the father-to-son styled comment at the end of your post really needed?? i dont think so...Now I'm just going to go nuts and run around the house with scissors!!!...lol! Stupid me!!

J-shovel

Leave a comment:

• j-shovel
    replied
    WOW!,...FInally other than Andy,..A guy who isn't...

Originally posted by snow
    Hi guys, I'm new to the forum......been lurking around as a "guest". I'm in the market for a new tig and have been considering this Dynasty. Largely due to the reviews of the members here. Obviously, I am curious to find the answer to this problem.

One thing that catches my attention is that the machine was "repaired"........and then worked flawlessly for four months........ Doesn't sound like a crossed wire to me.......While I'm not famillar with these inverter machines, usually, a crossed wire in the plug is a dead short and will trip the breaker.

j-shovel, a few thoughts.......You say that you have enough power and perhaps you do.......But, many older homes only have a 100 amp service.....some only have 60.......if you have a 100 amp service serving your house and shop, You are under powered and out of amps........not all the time, but with a few appliances running, you are out of amps.

Ok, even if YOU have wired your machine properly.......You could still be out of power.......Sometimes the addition of a new shop will over load the main supply if the electric company is trying to run too much off one transformer..........I have seen this happen several times..........and/or the transformer is bad......sometimes they will lose one power leg.......

Check the main power coming in to the box, check the power coming out of the breaker, check the power at the receptacle,check the plug on the welder for proper connections........if these are good then the problem is in the welder..........or possibly a sparadically working transformer..........the electric company will check thier side for free........

What did they fix/change/replace when they repaired it the first time??Does anyone know what the "8" trouble code represents??

Good Luck
    ... posting with boat load of sarcasm in his post!! (Other than Andy!!) I am going to have a friend who is an electrician come and look everyhing over anywya,..but yeah, everyhting seems to check out fine! oh and I have a 220 sevice not 100,...thanks for all of your input,...!!! most of what you said was almost identical to what the miller tech told me on the phone,...and hey, with no sarcasm either!! hmmm,...

Thanks agin,..
    J-shovel

Leave a comment:

• j-shovel
    replied
    This is not a toaster???

Originally posted by fun4now

and by all means as andy said read your owners manual this is not a toster and you will find out how to get peek preformance out of your dynasty

The sarcasm flows like a river in here!!...geesh!

Well, picture the inside of your three prong heavy duty industrial single phase plug. (sometimes used for a washing machine!!..heavy guage stuff here!!) Is eveyone visualizing now,....stay with me everyone,...!!

OK, here we go!,....you have three prongs,...one on top (your ground / green color),....and two below that one,..this means one on either side of the top one which is n the top center. The top center is the ground (green),...and the other two are your hots (white and black),...the red is useless and is snipped off and tapped up being that this is only used for the application of a 3 phase power source).....am I still sounding as dumb as most people have made me sound on here?? LOL!!

That's it,...nothing to it! and your plug is wired.
    J-Shovel

Leave a comment:

• j-shovel
    replied
    Not to be smart,..but,...

Originally posted by Bendaman
    Just a thought, my dynasty did not come with a plug in on the machine, my
    dealer put one on for me. I think all Dynastys come this way from the factory
    If your putting on your own plug that might be a place to recheck, just a
    long shot idea????? My machine has traveled with me to different locations
    and different shops and has worked at every place without any problems.

Can you try the machine at a different location, buddies garage or shop ????
    If anyone does NOT know how to wire a plug on a welding machine,....they should seriously learn how to! its as simple as pie!

J-shovel

Leave a comment:

• j-shovel
    replied
    Uh, yeah,..I'm not that stupid!!

DYNE88
    "to add to andys post you should know this- black and red are your hot green and white are your nuetral and ground(one in the same on three phase) "

>>>I know which are hot and what is ground,..dear LORD!! I'm also running it single phase by the way, to clear that up,....my GOD I know what the heck my ground and hot are!!

"Im not familiar with the dynasty but there is usually three screws labeled line and one labelled nuetral/ground. In your manual it will explain all this it will also probably say to have a liscensed electrician hook up the machine."

>>>Please tell me just how many people actually take the time to have a liscensed electrician install their line that they are going to use for their welder and how many who if they know a very good amount of knowledge in regards to electrical and already have done it with someone experienced beforehand, will simply refer to a known electrician and then do it on their own?? just because you take it into your own hands to do it yourself does not necessarily mean that something will go wrong, etc. I had already posted that we had consulted two friends who ARE Electricians,...not some joe-blow off the street,...UNION CARD CARRYING Electricians!!!! Geez!,...thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt!

"At the very least have an electrician come and inspect your connection. This does sound harsh but miller probably wont keep rreplacing machines if indeed it is user error. And I would feel horrible if I were to read a post entitled"help with miller warranty" sorry to sound mean but you already invested around 2500 dollars whats another 100 to have an electrician come and inspect for you?"

Well, thats the first positive thing you've said! I was actually going to contact a friend who has been an electrician for about 15 yrs. and have him come over and check it out.

Thanks for the input,...
    J_shovel

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    andy

i'm getting a dyn200 in nov. i'll be making my own ground camp/cable was thinking 30ft of 2/0 will it be ok and if so i read about leaving cables wraped up causing problems so if i put 30ft on it do i need to unrole all 30ft every time i weld?

Leave a comment:

• ASKANDY
    replied
    I would have to agree. Like I said before, It sounds like the machine is trying to give you all it has and with the bad extension cables or poor connections, it could go into that fault.

Keep trying, these machines are pretty bulletproof and for you to have 2 bad ones is quite an odd breaker.

a-

Leave a comment:

Working...
X