Stopping Terminal Corrosion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stopping Terminal Corrosion

I would like some suggestions for stopping the corrosion on the ground and electrode cable ends--the one's on a gasoline powered welder that are exposed to the weather constantly. It is okay to treat them like truck batteries with a dab of grease or other similar types of preparations? about what to use.
    The definition of courage. "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and you see it through to the end no matter what." From "To Kill a Mockingbird"

I thought normal grease was bad, especially if it's a water based grease. I'm not sure what exactly is best to use. The term di-electric grease is over used, I wonder if there is something more specific and better to use. I was actually just looking around for some kind of insulator from the elements, something to spray on, or smear on.
    Just today I ran new grounds on my truck and one of my cars, and I was looking at the battery terminals, thinking "there has to be a better way".

Comment

I would think petromlum jelly would be the thing to use, just like you would on a car battery.
      It's not the voltage that gets you, it's the amps.

Comment

There is a disimilar metal compound that your electronics store should have. This works well and we use it on connections inside the machine.

a-

Comment

I dip my ends in plastic(the kind you use to caot plier handles) and after it dries peel it off the ring area and wala there you have it a sealed cable.
          Trailblazer 302g
          coolmate4
          hf-251d-1
          super s-32p
          you can never know enough

Comment

Any good non-oxidizing product will work. They are widely available - hardware store, electical supply houses, Radio Shack, etc. Before they can help you, you will have to clean and neutralize the terminals and cable connections. Sand paper or emery cloth works well. A baking-soda solution will take care of neutralizing the metals. Wash them well with clean water and dry them thoroughly. Apply the no-ox of choice, and all will be well. You do have to repeat this process about every 6 months if the connections are in the weather.

Hank
            ...from the Gadget Garage
            Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
            Handler 210 w/DP3035
            TA185TSW
            Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

Hi guys,"LPS3" works great as a preservative on cable ends and battery cables.Clean them up good , spray assemble and hit it again.It leave an inert waxy type film that hold up real well.If you want a grese type protection go to a truck parts jobber and ask for "Truck-lite grease".It's great on any automotive type electrical connection.(battery cables,wiring connecters,lite sockets,etc.) HTH

Comment

Yup, the dielectric grease does work. I oughta know since both of my trucks have 25 lights each that have that goo on them. In a "socket" type situation it would be excellent. If it is exposed, it'll be very messy.
                Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                '06 12RC feeder
                Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                Esab Multimaster 260
                Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

when we install generators we use a batter terminal compound on the batt terminals as well as the terminals in the disconnect to keep them from coroding. diox for aluminum electrical wire also works good. it will wash off in the rain but on the inner side of the connection you will still have the protection from corrosion.

Comment

Originally posted by iso50
                    I would think petromlum jelly would be the thing to use, just like you would on a car battery.
                    The name is msileading; Petroleum jelly is water based and could cause problems by itself.

Comment

http://www.corrosionx.com/marine.html, I won't be without it, I use it on my guns and everything metal in the shop, it even protects metal in saltwater. The best there is.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice and suggestions. I'm optin' fer the purple stuff but lookin' at the corrosionx stuff suggested by tackit.
                        The definition of courage. "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and you see it through to the end no matter what." From "To Kill a Mockingbird"

Comment

Working...
                        X