No announcement yet.

gas for mig on ss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I don't think my local guy can custom mix 80 cf tanks either, something that big has to be done buy AGA or the processing places that have the equiment to fill that much volume at those pressure levels.

They have so much time in transit, and traffice time cycling through the facility, it just takes them that long to cycle tanks through. The only way you get anything quicker is if it was already filled 2-3 weeks ago, and it's pre-filled and waiting.

I wouldn't mind waiting 2-3 weeks, if I'm planning ahead for a project, but I agree if you only get a days notice, you are screwed, heh.

Comment

the stainless i will be welding is for the shell of a BAR-B-Q grill, and a grilling grate. the guy at the supply house told me 100% argon will be the best to use. i have a tank of C-25 on the welder now and i didn't want to have to but another cylinder. i think i will weld together some scrap and let it set in the rain for a few weeks and see if it rusts.

Comment

Originally posted by sparky123
        the stainless i will be welding is for the shell of a BAR-B-Q grill, and a grilling grate. the guy at the supply house told me 100% argon will be the best to use. i have a tank of C-25 on the welder now and i didn't want to have to but another cylinder. i think i will weld together some scrap and let it set in the rain for a few weeks and see if it rusts.

Sparky
        I don't think you will like straight Argon. Yes it'll work ( not real sure how well ) but the beads won't wet out well at all. The machine you are using will dictate a little of how well it would work. I'm using a MM 135. It just doesn't have the guts to burn hot on anything but really thin sheet. Who knows, maybe you'll fare better.

Side note: My welds on the stainless tool I fabbed up are holding very well. There is some discoloration around the HAZ, but it is minor, IMO. This tool is a concrete curb mule. When it is in use, it is covered in concrete. When it isn't being used, it stays submerged in a bucket of water. It was under water probably 3 or 4 hours total. It was in and out all day. I could see no rust or corrosion forming at all. I also found out that the SS is a cheap SS. High magnetic properties. Maybe I could have gone with C-25 and E70S-6 wire..... who knows. That weld would have rusted for sure in the water. Maybe my details will help someone, maybe not. At least I got to practice typing!
        Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
        '06 12RC feeder
        Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
        Esab Multimaster 260
        Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

OOPS!
          Sparky I just reread your initial post. Your MM 135 won't like the straight Argon. It needs more heat. I'm guessing that's where the Helium comes into play with the tri-mix. I got st. Ar for some loominum repairs I need to do and just experimented with the stainless with it. I won't bother again. The C-25 worked much better.
          Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
          '06 12RC feeder
          Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
          Esab Multimaster 260
          Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Argon is great for SS TIG, but won't wash the toes and will have considerable bead roll up on the base surface with MIG.

Comment

Just my two cents worth,
              The local Airgas supplier in my area (SW Virginia, Roanoke) Does have 98/2 Argon/co2 "on the shelf" if I'm not mistaken. They tried to slip a bottle in on me instead of Argon/O2. You might check with them if you want to try the mixes Ed was refering to.
              Chris

Comment

Working...
              X