X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAWK
    replied
    Andy249,

I use the Alt 304 and the Optima Pulser. This gives me the full range of 20-400 amps of pulsed GMAW. On 3 phase the duty cycle is 300 amps at 60%. On 1 phase the duty cycle is close to 30% at 300 amps.

This machine is discontinued, but the XMT 350 and the Optima pulser would be a very comparable set up. The wire feeder you get is pretty much preference as long as it is true CV and not voltage sensing.

The Optima pulser runs pre-programmed in a synergic mode: when you adjust one parameter it follows by adjusting all the others. It also has a manual mode so you can have total control over the pulse parameters. In addition it offers adaptive and non adaptive pulsing. In adaptive pulsing the pulse frequency changes as needed to maintain a constant arc length no matter your stick out. In non-adaptive pulsing the pulse frequency remains constant even though the arc length changes.

Miller does make the Invision series which has a built in pulser, but I really believe the Optima lends the operator more control. Check it out!

Leave a comment:

• Andy249
    replied
    Do the Miller pulsed GMAW machines have preset programs or jobs for doing different materials etc. etc. ? I am finding that a lot of guys here in Oz who are building alloy boats are using machines such as the Fronius and EWMs for nothing other than the fact that they just set the material thickness and the machine does the rest of the thinking for them. The downside to this of course is that being isolated from the variables doesn't allow you to interpret your results and do any troubleshooting that may be necessary.

Does Miller sell any combination powersource/wire feeder GMAW machines that are capable of pulse and are good for at least 300 - 350 Amps? I have been looking at getting a pulsed MIG for a while and can finally get one, but it seems that by the time I buy a power source, wire feeder, push pull setup, and remote from Miller, I am up for thousands of dollars more than some of the other products that I mentioned before that are more than up to the task as well but are far simpler in terms of setup. I can justify a few hundred dollars difference no problems, but I feel as though I am doubling up if I get a wire feed with an 18ft push pull setup on the end of it and am paying a LOT more to boot!!

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Andy249,

Good observation on the heat and travel speed and associated soot versus gun angle. The heat was set for short arc pushing to spray. No. It was not pulsed. Even though I have the capabiltiy I did not want to introduce extra variables when teaching someone without any experience.

Leave a comment:

• Andy249
    replied
    Just with the comment about the amount of heat, I think it is more to do with a constant travel speed as opposed to one that has increased as more heat has been input into the job, just an observation I have made with Aluminium. The other thing is, with the contact tips, instead of increasing the size of the contact tip, use the correct diameter Aluminium contact tip, does absolute wonders for arc stability!! The lack of soot on the weld run may also be related to the lead angle, (I think you can see it toward the end of the run where it looks like the torch has been laid back further and further). By dropping the torch angle back I have found that it seems to lay less soot on the job, less soot, less cleaning, the faster a job gets finished!!

It looks to me like that weld was laid down with a pulsed MIG? I didn't know that you could pulse with a short arc? I thought pulse was a modified form of spray transfer, enabling an operator to get better wetting at the weld toes than with a conventional MIG using short arc transfer (when welding thin gauges).

In the end though, welding aluminium ain't that hard!! Just need someone to show you the ropes, and once you know what to look for its a piece of cake! It all comes down to practice practice practice!!

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Originally posted by Alex
    Franz,
    That's a real nice-looking weld. You should be very proud, especially since you've got a hotshot like HAWK toutin' your skills.

So, HAWK,
    Are you tryin' to talk him out of usin' the 10ft gun w/ teflon liner? Sure looks like it.

Be cool,
    Alex
    Alex,

I think is he going to buy a 30A spoolgun!!! The MIG torch works okay with patience and good technique.

Leave a comment:

• dyn88
    replied
    point taken. Myself I constantly have a size 4 up my [email protected]#.

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Originally posted by dyn88
    I was not trying to take anything away from franz at all. that was, and is an awsome pass. I was mearly stating that Im a somwhat experiencd welder and cant get my darned machine(although we all know its my technique) to weld aluminum to save my life. I was just trying to convey the fact that franz should be proud of himself and his abilities. He is obviosly a talented individual, and is fortunate to have someone nearby to help him hone his skills.
    dyn88,

I did not think you were and actually did not realize my post sounded that way at all. Sometimes I will say things that come across the wrong way. If you don't believe me, then ask my wife. I am getting used to the taste of shoe leather!

I was only saying that I had set up the weld parameters for him. I have found that most soot comes from the wrong gas flow. The fact that fillets and verticals seem to need less gas than horizontal and in position welds only complicates matters further.

Leave a comment:

• franz
    replied
    Thanks for all the compliments guys, with Hawk's help I may actually be a welder someday!

Leave a comment:

• Alex
    replied
    Franz,
    That's a real nice-looking weld. You should be very proud, especially since you've got a hotshot like HAWK toutin' your skills.

So, HAWK,
    Are you tryin' to talk him out of usin' the 10ft gun w/ teflon liner? Sure looks like it.

Be cool,
    Alex

Leave a comment:

• dyn88
    replied
    I was not trying to take anything away from franz at all. that was, and is an awsome pass. I was mearly stating that Im a somwhat experiencd welder and cant get my darned machine(although we all know its my technique) to weld aluminum to save my life. I was just trying to convey the fact that franz should be proud of himself and his abilities. He is obviosly a talented individual, and is fortunate to have someone nearby to help him hone his skills.

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    dyn88,

I think he has some real talent that can be developed! I did tune in the parameters for gas flow, voltage, and wire speed. He just had to run the gun after a few minutes of instruction and looking over my shoulder. NO MATTER THE ANGLE OF VIEW IT'S A GREAT WELD FOR A 1ST TIMER with a spoolgun and very little welding experience to boot! The weld bead has not been touched.

There was no soot or smoky film to wipe away. That is all in the weld parameters. This is where I had it set for him.

Machine ALT 304

Material .125" 3003 8"x8"

Gas argon flow @17CFH

Filler 4043 .035"

Wire speed Dial setting 3 on the 30A spoolgun

Voltage 19.4 volts on an ALT 304

Inductance 10 on a 0-100 scale

He was running .035" filler through a .035" tip because I was out of anything larger. If I had any .045"-.052" tips, I think the welds would have been better. I could feel the wire dragging just a little through the tip after a few beads during set up. The hot tip expanded the wire and would not let it push through freely.

Leave a comment:

• dyn88
    replied
    well thats better than i can do. I still have the black soot and spatter.

Leave a comment:

• jeffscarstrucks
    replied
    Hi guys, He definitly looks comfortable with speed and tecnique. I have a big aluminuim wire feed project going and I hope it looks as good! JEFF

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Fun4Now,

You called it correctly. I usually run in a pulsed spray mode, but wanted more of a short arc that might resemble what he was used to with ER70S-6 on mild steel. Beside that I did not want to introduce the concept of pulsed spray since he neither has the optional Optima Penant nor had ever tried Al MIG until today.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    cool looks like i'm atleast lerning what it should look like that will help me adjust

Leave a comment:

Working...
X