Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dyn88
    replied
    well if miller offered the pro 300 with a gas engine, to make it a little more affordable for the little guy id definately consider it over the trailblazer. I would be purchasing this machine for me, that is to say that it is my money not my company at my full time job. I currently only do 10-20 hours worth of repairs on my own and that doesnt even come close to supporting a 10000 dollar machine like the pro300. In fact even the trailblazer is a bit of a stretch but i feel that with onsite tig capabilities I could boost that 10-20 hours to 20-30 hours and start earning money for myself instead of just being able to pay rent and buy consumeables at my own shop.

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Originally posted by wrench3047
    I apologize for using your name in vane HAWK. I turned 28 this summer, my mind is already starting to go.
    Wrench,

No offense taken nor suspected. I wish I remembered 28....

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Originally posted by dyn88
    Hawk im sorry but 9500 for the pro300 or 3500 for a traiblazer301g. I agree with you that its a beter machine but the high cost that the diesel incurs is practicaly prohibitive to me, and I realy dont want to finance.

dyn88,

There is nothing to be sorry about. It is your money and your business. I cannot and would not spend money that is not mine. I just mentioned it as an option. I really loved my TB 301G until I welded with the Pro 300D. The arc is different as in much cleaner. I know I am opening a can of worms, but ...

You can talk 3 phase 4 pole DC arc all you want about both machines. The Pro 300D has a larger armature and is made for the hard use high duty cycle operator. I ran quite a few 1/4" carbon rods with my TB, but would not have bought with that purpose in mind. There are numerous advantages to the diesel Pro 300D over the TB 301 or 302G, but cost is not among them. With that being said I will retire this subject as this post is not about the Pro 300D.

Leave a comment:

• WelderBob
    replied
    where up nort are you from welderbob

I'm not, I'm in the Midwest, get the show on PBS every Saturday for many years. I even got the t-shirt with the suspenders on it.

Leave a comment:

• wrench3047
    replied
    where up nort are you from welderbob

Leave a comment:

• WelderBob
    replied
    does that mean you use duct tape not weld rod?

I do use duct tape! I got to send Red some advice though, when the duct tape rots and fails, it is a good idea to have a Vise Grip clamped in place for a backup, and after it rusts shut it becomes a permanent installation. Something about Vise Grips holding most of your equipment together that just says "a job well done". I also switched to aluminum duct tape some time ago, seem to last longer!

Leave a comment:

• wrench3047
    replied
    Dedicated member of the Oppossum Lodge since 1997.

does that mean you use duct tape not weld rod?

Leave a comment:

• Alex
    replied
    WOW indeed!! I should have looked at the price of the TB301D before I posted. Looks closer to $4000 difference.

Alex

Leave a comment:

• WelderBob
    replied
    There is a thread on the Hobart board that includes responses from an Onan rep. They are a division of Subaru. I have a 1995 Miller Legend with over 3500 hours on it, and my Onan never misses a beat, it doesn't smoke or use oil. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to buy either, they are both on the same level as far as I am concerned. Needless to say, I would buy Onan again and again.

Leave a comment:

• wrench3047
    replied
    I apologize for using your name in vane HAWK. I turned 28 this summer, my mind is already starting to go.

Leave a comment:

• dyn88
    replied
    the cost of diesel is only about 14 -24 cents different and run time isnt a real concern, theres a fuel station with diesel about every 10 - 15 miles. 3000 dollars more for a diesel thats 12000 gallons of fuel to ofseet cost, hmm 16hrs for ten gallons gas and 20 hrs for diesel run time, thats 19200 hrs of welding with gas, 24000 hours for diesel. Does any one have around twentythousand hours on their machine. Thats about two years of welding straight twentyfour seven WOW.

Leave a comment:

• timw
    replied
    The old Onan powered Miller welders had the CCK industrial engine, I think built since the 60's. A friend gave me a CCK that was set up for LP and used on a refridgerated trailer. They were solid and reliable with a few exceptions. The points were well hidden and hard to service. Also the exhaust ports aimed straight up and moisture and or water could get in and lock up the engine. I've rebuild about 10 of them and the parts are very expensive,for example, front press in main bearing- $50. gasket set-$80. that's more than SB Chevy sets. Why did I rebuild 10 of them? Here's a tip- you have to keep oil in them.
    Kohler has always had a good reputation. I've rebuilt 6 or so with no real issues.
    So how would I choose? I would get both engines info and go to the respective repair dealers and talk to the guy who repairs them. Tell him why you are asking and in most cases you will get honest opinions.

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog
    replied
    Diesel is much cheaper here in NEW YORK then gas espeically if you buy off road fuel.
    Bulldog

Leave a comment:

• Alex
    replied
    Gas vs Diesel

Dyn88,
    Is diesel more expensive up there in the Northeast than gasoline? Diesel is cheaper than regular unleaded down here. Plus the fact that, from what I've read, the diesel machines will run longer on a tank of fuel.

Alex

Leave a comment:

• dyn88
    replied
    Hawk im sorry but 9500 for the pro300 or 3500 for a traiblazer301g. I agree with you that its a beter machine but the high cost that the diesel incurs is practicaly prohibitive to me, and I realy dont want to finance.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X