onan or kohler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• onan or kohler?

Just looking at trailblazer 301g's and for the same priceyou have a choice of the onan or the kohler. Does any one know if there is a posting from miller on mantenance and repair throughout the sales area. If so can that info be shared? Im realy interested in replacing my bobcat 225g with a trailblazer and want to purchase the one with the most relyable engine. (with my luck though it will still have breakdowns at the most inoportune moments,(like repairing a stove top vent 1 hour before the restaurant opens) and times like that)
    Trailblazer 302g
    coolmate4
    hf-251d-1
    super s-32p
    you can never know enough

Quite awhile ago there was a thread about that. It started beating up the Onan engine with stories of opposing cyl design yada yada yada (I was one of them) Then Onan was contacted and I was found out that I was redesigned and is on the same level as the Kohler. If I remember correctly. HAWK I think was the one interested because he had just got one and heard one of the stories from somewhere.
    Joe
    [email protected]

Comment

Actually I had the Kohler version of the 301G and H80N had just gotten the Onan. As it turned out he did not have any problems that I know about. My persoanal preference would be the Pro 300 Diesel and Dynasty 200DX on Aux power for field GTAW.

Comment

For what it's worth... I have a Bobcat 250NT with an Ohan on it and no trouble so far. I use it as a welder and a generator and has been Great!
        Bulldog
        5 Passport Pluses
        2 MM 212's
        MM 210
        MM 251 MIA
        MM 350 P w/Python
        Syncrowave 250
        w/ tig runner
        Trailblazer 302
        12RC w/meters
        Spectrum 1000
        Spectrum 2050
        2 Black BWEs
        Joker BWE
        Star & stripe BWE Digital
        2 star & stripe xlix's

REAL TRUCKS RATTLE
        CUMMINS BABY

Comment

dyn88
          FWIW, The Kohler will probably be easier to get parts. They are just about everywhere. The Onan isn't the same Onan you're used to. They are made by Robin and seem to be a reliable engine. Personally, I'm gonna keep my 225G a while longer. If I were you, I'd be looking at the TB 302G's. They sound interesting.
          Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
          '06 12RC feeder
          Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
          Esab Multimaster 260
          Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Hawk im sorry but 9500 for the pro300 or 3500 for a traiblazer301g. I agree with you that its a beter machine but the high cost that the diesel incurs is practicaly prohibitive to me, and I realy dont want to finance.
            Trailblazer 302g
            coolmate4
            hf-251d-1
            super s-32p

Comment

Gas vs Diesel

Dyn88,
              Is diesel more expensive up there in the Northeast than gasoline? Diesel is cheaper than regular unleaded down here. Plus the fact that, from what I've read, the diesel machines will run longer on a tank of fuel.

Alex
              Be cool,
              Alex

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
              SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

Comment

Diesel is much cheaper here in NEW YORK then gas espeically if you buy off road fuel.
                Bulldog
                5 Passport Pluses
                2 MM 212's
                MM 210
                MM 251 MIA
                MM 350 P w/Python
                Syncrowave 250
                w/ tig runner
                Trailblazer 302
                12RC w/meters
                Spectrum 1000
                Spectrum 2050
                2 Black BWEs
                Joker BWE
                Star & stripe BWE Digital
                2 star & stripe xlix's

REAL TRUCKS RATTLE
                CUMMINS BABY

Comment

The old Onan powered Miller welders had the CCK industrial engine, I think built since the 60's. A friend gave me a CCK that was set up for LP and used on a refridgerated trailer. They were solid and reliable with a few exceptions. The points were well hidden and hard to service. Also the exhaust ports aimed straight up and moisture and or water could get in and lock up the engine. I've rebuild about 10 of them and the parts are very expensive,for example, front press in main bearing- $50. gasket set-$80. that's more than SB Chevy sets. Why did I rebuild 10 of them? Here's a tip- you have to keep oil in them.
                  Kohler has always had a good reputation. I've rebuilt 6 or so with no real issues.
                  So how would I choose? I would get both engines info and go to the respective repair dealers and talk to the guy who repairs them. Tell him why you are asking and in most cases you will get honest opinions.

Comment

the cost of diesel is only about 14 -24 cents different and run time isnt a real concern, theres a fuel station with diesel about every 10 - 15 miles. 3000 dollars more for a diesel thats 12000 gallons of fuel to ofseet cost, hmm 16hrs for ten gallons gas and 20 hrs for diesel run time, thats 19200 hrs of welding with gas, 24000 hours for diesel. Does any one have around twentythousand hours on their machine. Thats about two years of welding straight twentyfour seven WOW.
                    Trailblazer 302g
                    coolmate4
                    hf-251d-1
                    super s-32p

Comment

I apologize for using your name in vane HAWK. I turned 28 this summer, my mind is already starting to go.
                      Joe
                      [email protected]

Comment

There is a thread on the Hobart board that includes responses from an Onan rep. They are a division of Subaru. I have a 1995 Miller Legend with over 3500 hours on it, and my Onan never misses a beat, it doesn't smoke or use oil. Personally, I wouldn't hesitate to buy either, they are both on the same level as far as I am concerned. Needless to say, I would buy Onan again and again.
                        "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Dedicated member of the Oppossum Lodge since 1997.

Comment

WOW indeed!! I should have looked at the price of the TB301D before I posted. Looks closer to $4000 difference.

Alex
                          Be cool,
                          Alex

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE
                          SUPPORT OUR TROOPS

Comment

Dedicated member of the Oppossum Lodge since 1997.

does that mean you use duct tape not weld rod?
                            Joe
                            [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by wrench3047
                              does that mean you use duct tape not weld rod?

I do use duct tape! I got to send Red some advice though, when the duct tape rots and fails, it is a good idea to have a Vise Grip clamped in place for a backup, and after it rusts shut it becomes a permanent installation. Something about Vise Grips holding most of your equipment together that just says "a job well done". I also switched to aluminum duct tape some time ago, seem to last longer!
                              "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." Dedicated member of the Oppossum Lodge since 1997.

Comment

Working...
                              X