• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fun4now
    replied
    b&r

i got mine at br also but he jurked me around for a week befor i got it
    i'll never use him again
    i'm back to using ioc, i got my welder and plasma cutter at ioc and had them in 2 days bolth times

Leave a comment:

• ASKANDY
    replied
    Iso,
    We are good to use the training center on the 20th. How about 10:00am?

A-

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    first spark is dark (it's like it's reading your mind )

with my big window you never see the light it is dark like right now i think it takes 1/20,000th of a sec to go dark
    i speed up the dark to light if welding low amps and slow it's dark to light down if welding on high amps so my work glow goes down a bit befor the hood goes back to light

Leave a comment:

• DDA52
    replied
    Don
    I picked up my Elite at B&R Welder for $208 I think. ( black shell with bag ) I noticed that sometimes they are cheaper on the home site than on ebay. IOC and maybe Cyberweld may be good to check out also.

www.brwelder.com

Leave a comment:

• DDA52
    replied
    Don
    If you want to start off a bit cheaper than the cadillac, look at ebay under miller welding helmets. A dude named Blainey has a few of the older but still NIB Miller XLix hoods. I got one of his a few months ago for around $120 with shipping. They work almost as good as the Elite and would get you started out a little cheaper and maybe quicker. I got mine as a spare or a backup, but use it alot also. Just a thought.

Leave a comment:

• Teeps
    replied
    Yikes!!!

You guys scared me when you started talking about the time it takes to auto-darken, so I went out and tried my cheapo helmet to see how good it is really working. I think I got it really cheap from Harbor Freight about a year ago.

Well, I thought it was just normal, since I have nothing to compare it to, (my first welding, and helmet) but it is really dark once darkened. The puddle has to be bright orange to see what the heck I'm doing. Quite often this results in welding on one piece instead of fusing two together.

Next, the time it takes to darken, the first time I striked an arc there was a bright flash and I squinted, and I had one of those spots in my vision, you know like when you were a kid and you looked at the sun or a bright spot, then wherever you turned your eyes the spot was still there in your vision for a few minutes. Yup one of those.

I don't think this helmut is coming on and darkening as quick as it should be, then again, maybe some of that is normal and harmless.

Point is, why risk it?! I'm going to close my eyes on first arc, until I can afford to bye better helmet.

I'm just a shade-tree amateaur and although it's really hard to justify spending $200+ on a helmet, but my eyes are worth alot to me too!!!

So where is the cheapest place to buy one of these things, just search for
    "miller big window" on Ebay?

Thanks,

Don

Leave a comment:

• iso50
    replied
    Originally posted by ASKANDY
    Sorry about the off shore thing but they were the only company to build to our specs... Our design... Our price range. We don't have the facility to manufacture large quantities of these inhouse. Anyway...that's my story and I'm stickin to it

a-
    Andy,

Whats the news for the 20th in Appleton? Do you have a time yet?

Leave a comment:

• ASKANDY
    replied
    Sorry about the off shore thing but they were the only company to build to our specs... Our design... Our price range. We don't have the facility to manufacture large quantities of these inhouse. Anyway...that's my story and I'm stickin to it

a-

Leave a comment:

• Blown S-10
    replied
    i agree with the above. i found it hard to justify the $204. now i wish i had sprung the extra $20 for the flag, it looks GREAT !!! i borrowed 2 other A/D helmets, when i SAW the difference from my $30 jackson allways dark = i ordered the same day. and i am one furgle mofo, "bang for the buck" is what i live by.

i forgot to turn it on one time. i said "man, that puddle is awfull bright, wth is going on ? " = Doh !!! lol, but it didn't bother my eyes at all.

i haven't used many of the other "good" A/D helmets. but i would say this BIG WINDOW is a standard to judge others by.

Leave a comment:

• KB Fabrications
    replied
    I have'nt tried the Miller Big Window but I just got the Jackson NexGen and it is SWEET!!! 4 sensors, shades 9-13, sensitivity 1-10, delay 1-10, and 3 n 1 to boot. And did I forget to mention the fact that it is made right here in the good ole USA (which I would rather support). And BTW, the folks at Jackson are top notch at customer service.

The other plus is that the NexGen unit fits right into my old Huntsman 451P fibre hood. Awsome!!!!!

Kevin Bentz
    KB Fabrications

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    turn on

yep i have forgoten a cuple of times but with no damage seem the filters in the off state still work prity well
    i wouldnt try to weld without turning it on but the few times i forgot it didnt seem to bother me

Leave a comment:

• DDA52
    replied
    Originally posted by fun4now
    i dont see how anyone could regret getting 1
    my only regret is i didnt get it sooner
    That is what I'm thinking every time I use the thing...... " Why did I wait so long to get it? " I just wished I had one when I was welding every day. I'm welding with increasing frequency now, and I must say the Elite and the XLix have increased production slightly and improved quality greatly. The quality increase is due to the fact I can see so much clearer. My only minor gripe is the fact that you have to manually turn it on. I've forgotten a few times! Other than that, no complaints.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    regrets

i dont see how anyone could regret getting 1
    my only regret is i didnt get it sooner

keep in mind that i am not a pro just a hobbiest and the $225.00 i spent on it was real hard to justify. that kind of $$$ can get me a lot of other stuff for my shop, and now that i have it i only wish i had talked myself into getting it sooner
    to date my shop has not made me $.01 but has given me $99999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999.9 9 werth of fun

Leave a comment:

• wrench3047
    replied
    I might have to look into one. Right now I'm using a 100dollar no name autodim you can really only use in sunlight or a handheld one that came with the little stick welder I got from walmart.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    oh ya

for thouse of us without the best eyes you can slip a mag lens in without needing an adapter

Leave a comment:

Working...
X