project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• project

I started my first project with my little wire feed. Too dark in the driveway to take pics tonight, but I will tommorrow. Making a headache rack for my pickup, 1.5" pipe for the frame/ 3/8" and 1/2" rebar for the rack. Made silly safety mistake though, was wearing running shoes a good chuck of slag burnt through got me between the toes. Won't do that again.
    Joe
    [email protected]

**** wait until someday when you laydown to get a weld and a piece of metal burns through your ear drum and you spit it out your mouth.

Comment

now that sounds fun (pun intended)
      Joe
      [email protected]

Comment

That sounds lik one of the most painfull experiences I can imagine. I thought the red hot tungsten falling out of my torch and piercing my scrodum hurt, but i think you take the cake.(now i wear an apron all the time)
        Trailblazer 302g
        coolmate4
        hf-251d-1
        super s-32p
        you can never know enough

Comment

This text is here only because there's a minimum of 10 characters! Isn't it obvious where I'm coming from?

Comment

I was told by someone there are boots make for welders, with just a zipper on the side covered by a flap pointing backwards. Anyone have, like or recommend some from somewhere.
            Joe
            [email protected]

Comment

ps batteries in the camera are gone. must be some gaget around the house. pics as soon as I find the right size batteries. kids would go nuts if they see me taking the batteries out of one of there toys.
              Joe
              [email protected]

Comment

Boots by Red Wing and they are also electrically insulated from shock, but be ready to pay close to 200.00 bucks a pair but I think well worth it..

Comment

Iramberson:
                  The ones with the instep spats are nice and in general they are great boots and last very well in an industrial setting.

Comment

wrench3047, maybe you could get a pair of Divers boots, you know the ones made of Lead, seriously, the Redwings are great, they only make 2 types with metatarsel protection, but these have Kevlar thread for better heat survivability. I have had a pair for 4 years now, only rough concrete gives them a problem, they also have a harder sole which seems to handle hot stuff better. But at $200, kinda pricy.....go HighTop boot and long pants [Not Bloused] no matter what the CO says.....Did I mention my buddy when he was 13 welded with sneakers that had a hole in the bottom, well he somehow got grounded to his bicycle frame and swore he saw the light of Heaven!!!Lets see some pictures,PS are you getting ready for Frances, it looks like a bad one...Paul
                    More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

Getting ready for another stinkin storm. I did get some batteries. Not all the parts are there right now. The last of pipe I gave to a friend for helping get his pickup out of the mud. It looked like a boomarang so I told him to keep it, but this is what I have made so far. I don't have a bender yet so I heated it, bent it, it split, I welded nuts and bolt in the gaping hole. The first pic was to big.
                      Attached Files
                      Joe
                      [email protected]

Comment

heres a helpful hint when bending tubing spread your heat out and try to open up the radius some. its important to keep the back side of the bend red while bending because thats the side you need to stretch. looks pretty cool.
                        Trailblazer 302g
                        coolmate4
                        hf-251d-1
                        super s-32p

Comment

thanks, I did try to keep it red but I was using the torch at work(hurry before boss seen me working on personal stuff) and only had cutting head(rest locked up in cabinet)working alone. when I try it again I'll see about taking more time and maintain heat.
                          Joe
                          [email protected]

Comment

if thats pretty thin wall tubing you can use mapp gas(like propane but hotter) plumbers torch inside with no wind
                            Trailblazer 302g
                            coolmate4
                            hf-251d-1
                            super s-32p

Comment

It's 1/8" wall 1.5" diameter. Is that thing enough to be able to use a MAPP torch.
                              Joe
                              [email protected]

Comment

Working...
                              X