Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ASKANDY
    replied
    The Passport has been great. I have had the most prototypes in the country at some of our race shops here and these guys ARE picky and they love it. It is a pricey unit for a small welder but you do get pure portability WITH gas and WITHOUT that big gas bottle. If you wish to use it in the shop it allows you to hook up an external gas supply. Even though I'm not crazy about the name, this inverter is a sweet unit! Designed mostly for portability, the arc can't be overlooked for a nice shop welder. The word is getting out, just ordered 3 more today for other teams. Good luck and if you are not busy scott, I could use some help organizing my shop

Andy

Leave a comment:

• Scott V
    replied
    Originally posted by cope
    Scott does it all with a little help from his friend.

Actually if you ahd known Scott as long as I have you would know that he doesn't keep a machine long enough to let the dust settle on it; he is in a never ending search for the Holy Grail of welding machines.

Once Barbara ties him down that may come to a screeching halt.

All joking aside, Scott calls 'em like he sees 'em. He has no color loyalty, and I respect MOST of his opinions.

Cope, that is why I bought Barbara a welder first thing. ( really a plasma )

Barbara keeps asking me if I would keep her house as clean as my shop. I only have one answer for her and it is--- If you build your shop I will move in there!!!!!

I am really done now because the arc of my machines is really very good so no real reason to upgrade. Other then adding a small mig again ( passport? ) Then again a little 120 volt unit could fill that spot (outside sheetmetal type stuff )

Leave a comment:

• cope
    replied
    Originally posted by lramberson
    What a fine shop, You must have a support staff to keep it that clean & organized

Scott does it all with a little help from his friend.

Actually if you ahd known Scott as long as I have you would know that he doesn't keep a machine long enough to let the dust settle on it; he is in a never ending search for the Holy Grail of welding machines.

Once Barbara ties him down that may come to a screeching halt.

All joking aside, Scott calls 'em like he sees 'em. He has no color loyalty, and I respect MOST of his opinions.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    What a fine shop, You must have a support staff to keep it that clean & organized

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Oh yea! The arc was really undescribeably other than it was great! I went back 2 years later after my buddy had left Air Gas and found only a few 125 CF bottles hanging out from the last 2 years. I was told once they were gone that was it for the Maxx shield gases. Nice pictures. I have 3 phase at a shop I use, but my own shop is 1 phase only. It can suck!!! The feeder and control box look familiar. Maybe the same set up. Time has a way of blurring things.

Leave a comment:

• Scott V
    replied
    Did the arc sound funny with those gases? I used a few different tri-mixes for steel and it's different.
    The feeder is a 2410 four roll feeder that is the same as the Hobart 2210 two roll below. Thermal has just upgraded their feeder line and none are made now. The Thermal rep really does not know why they changed but I guess everybody just has to have quick change drive rolls or they won't weld right or something. I also have the last Thermal arc assist control-box and gun made on the lower feeder. It is a 15ft model and is the key to making them work. 25ft does not cut it. I found the whole setup worked as well as my Python or Prince 25 ft push/pull setups on .035 4043 wire. never a burnback to the tip. Go figure that one out.

I also wanted to post this esab that is really a good tapped transformer unit. It has 400 + amps and 35 taps. It really is a great welding unit but it is three phase so that kills that for now.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    scottv,

I had one of their engine drives (Predator) and a Pee Wee series 190 amp inverter. I also had a Pak Master 100 TD plasma for a while. I was never happy with any of their stuff. I don't really know where those machines were made. They may have been marketed by TA and manufactured by somebody other than TA. I don't remember the rental unit model, but it was an older well used 3 phase, 300 amp GMAW power source. I think it also had SMAW capabilities, but may be wrong on that one. It had a nice smooth MIG arc.

What type of feeder (TA) is in your picture? I spent a week with a fancy high dollar TA wire feeder about 4 years ago. I was working with an Air Gas rep testing some of the new Maxx shielding gases. If memory is correct we were running a Ferro Maxx plus gas. It was great for short arc and spray. I could climb a wall with a hot short arc or spin the dials and be in a hot spray. I guess that's off the subject though-just as well. Air gas discontinued those gases shortly after they hit the market (1-2 years).

What do you think of the ESAB plasma?

Leave a comment:

• Scott V
    replied
    Originally posted by HAWK
    Actually that is the unit I was thinking about. I rented a similar TA for a job once and liked it. The duty cycle seemed a little shy, but it performed well. I am still a huge Miller fan. The warranty problems and poor tech support from TA in the past will be a hard thing to forget. However, I understand things have greatly improved.

The duty cycle is about same as a 251 at 300 amps single-phase power 25 %
    It is a little lower at 250 amps 35%. I have great support though my welding store so that really is pretty much a non issue for me. ( my friend there really knows how to work the system ) That might not work for some but for me it opens up buying Miller/esab/Lincoln/ Thermal with out thinking all that much about support problems. If I bought on-line and did not have good access to the different reps I might re-think some of my buying habits. Here is what I had in my hobby shop at one time. Two of the yellow ones I bought for my girlfriend. There is a MK 2000 a tucked in there for a 300 amp 100%,also a 300 powermig duty- if needed. I really never ran into duty-cycle issues for what I weld anyway. I do believe in having enough juice to do the job though.

Was your welder the Italian TA stuff ?
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Actually that is the unit I was thinking about. I rented a similar TA for a job once and liked it. The duty cycle seemed a little shy, but it performed well. I am still a huge Miller fan. The warranty problems and poor tech support from TA in the past will be a hard thing to forget. However, I understand things have greatly improved.

Leave a comment:

• Scott V
    replied
    You mean like this one? No 120 volt though. It is 300 amps though.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    A DX200 with mig feeder controller, really does not sound to far or hard to accomplish...

Leave a comment:

• Teeps
    replied
    scottv,

I have made mention on several occassions there is a need for a 40 lb stick, tig, mig unit inverter with 1& 3 phase options in the 250 amp range that uses a separate CV feeder like the 8 RC. Now that would be a hot unit! It would be like a 250 amp version of the XMT. So far no go.
    If they made that anywhere in the 210-260 amp range I think they will sell them like hot-cakes.

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    scottv,

I have made mention on several occassions there is a need for a 40 lb stick, tig, mig unit inverter with 1& 3 phase options in the 250 amp range that uses a separate CV feeder like the 8 RC. Now that would be a hot unit! It would be like a 250 amp version of the XMT. So far no go.

Leave a comment:

• Scott V
    replied
    You should try the new Miller Passport 175. I hope you have the opportunity. It is a great machine. BTW: the Lincoln 135SP is a great little 120VAC MIG!
    I welded with most of the small ones except the MM 135 so I have a good feel of what's out there. Shoot, I even had a esab mutimaster 160 ( girlfriends now) and had a Lincoln sp 175 plus which I traded for a perfect MM-185. I also have had a MM130 and a 130 XP so I would be interested in trying one. I just like a good inverter type arc the best, so it looks made to order.

I do think Miller should of added some plug in options to the passport like some kind of modular type plug in stuff for maybe stick or tig. Shoot I would love to it have a option to make it a voltage driven feeder for a extra price. I guess I just like to dream too much!!!

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    [QUOTE=Scott V]
    Originally posted by fun4now
    the red company just flooded the market to compeet with miller . just because you can get 1 at any hardware store dosent make it beter.

No , the little Lincolns for the most part are better because they just flat out weld better. I am not talking the big machines only the little ones. The Hobarts little tap machines have norrowed the gap quite a bit!!! I would buy one of those over the blue ones in the 135/175 range.
    You should try the new Miller Passport 175. I hope you have the opportunity. It is a great machine. BTW: the Lincoln 135SP is a great little 120VAC MIG!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X