Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cope
    replied
    I agree with Hawk. There have been several posts both here and at Hobart from welding supplier employees and owners and they have all recommended Miller over anything else. There are probably locales where Miller support is not as good as Lincoln or Esab, but Miller is only a phone call or email away. A friend of mine who hangs out at Hobart bought a used Maxstar 150 (from Ebay I believe) and it went belly up the first time he struck an arc. Miller told him to take it to his local dealer. Within a couple of days he had a new unit. Thant's hard to beat!

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    farmboy,

CUSTOMER SERVICE MEANS A LOT. MAYBE NOT TO YOU RIGHT NOW BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE THE MACHINE BROKEN DOWN AND CANNOT GET YOUR PROJECT DONE OR DON'T CURRENTLY HAVE THE NEED FOR TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE OR JUST NEED INFO ON NEW ACCESSORIES FOR YOUR MACHINE, BUT IF THIS HAPPENS YOU WANT A MANUFACTURER THAT WILL STAND BESIDE YOU!

Here is a post I wrote some time back and the replies to it. I hope you will take the time to read this before taking the plunge.

04-24-2004, 11:02 PM
    HAWK
    Senior Member Join Date: Jul 2003

The Best

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recenlty posted thes paragraphs under the post regarding Lincoln's new TIG 185. I feel it warrants its own spot on this forum.

You may find a good machine that you like and it might be red or even purple. What's going to happen when you need parts, technical, or even just help assistance? Did you read the post "Poor Decision" started by Patrick Carter? That right there should tell us all something.

I have met quite a few Miller employees including Andy from this forum and Sue Feldkamp from the communications and marketing. Dave Fisher from TIG applications and I have spent many hours on the phone. I have met many others. All in all too many to mention, but thanks to all! These people are great! They care about us: the customer big and small! Some of these folks I have met a time or two and others are my friends.

Here's the deal: Even if Miller had the second best product, we would still have the best customer service in the business! Guess what? Buy a Miller welding machine and you have the best machine available in its class and friendly helpful people to support it!

HAWK

HAWK
    View Public Profile
    Find all posts by HAWK
    Add HAWK to Your Buddy List

#2 04-25-2004, 12:44 AM
    jeffscarstrucks
    Member Join Date: Oct 2003

I must say that I agree. I have delt with Miller factory service reps and they have been more than helpfull even when it was an error on my part. When a person at the corporate level gives me his private extension, I'm impressed. The service Miller has shown to me as a customer has been amazing; Wether at the corporate service level or the local factory zone rep for the southern IL-MO area. As Iv'e said on this board before Tully P. of Miller and Tim at Cee Kay In St. Louis along with Jeff in Miller service have made me an all blue shop. I could go on in detail!!! Thanks Guys, JEFF

jeffscarstrucks
    View Public Profile
    Find all posts by jeffscarstrucks
    Add jeffscarstrucks to Your Buddy List

#3 04-25-2004, 08:30 AM
    aametalmaster
    Member Join Date: Feb 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with everything Hawk says. Service is everything....Bob

aametalmaster
    View Public Profile
    Visit aametalmaster's homepage!
    Find all posts by aametalmaster
    Add aametalmaster to Your Buddy List

#4 04-25-2004, 10:20 AM
    cnslmva
    Junior Member Join Date: Apr 2004

I agree also. I have never had a problem with any of my Miller equipment, but I am greatly impressed with the customer service that I have received with technical questions that I have went to Miller with over the years! The red guys I know can't even get repair parts for their stuff in a timely manner! GO BLUE!

cnslmva
    View Public Profile
    Find all posts by cnslmva
    Add cnslmva to Your Buddy List

#5 04-25-2004, 10:33 AM
    moe1942
    Senior Member Join Date: Feb 2004

The best

I wholeheartedly agree as well. I have three "Blue" machines. Two engine driven and a new MM175. The oldest is a 1961 engine driven welder that I can still get parts for. It works as well today as it did new.

moe1942

moe1942
    View Public Profile
    Find all posts by moe1942
    Add moe1942 to Your Buddy List

#6 04-25-2004, 10:39 AM
    moe1942
    Senior Member Join Date: Feb 2004

Last edited by moe1942 : 04-26-2004 at 07:43 AM.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    did i here you right

undefinedim in a transition phase, but the price will probably be the determining factor, all of the information is appreciated thanx

so what you want is a cheep welder
    why ask about quality if you just want cheep
    you should be concidering the info given and not about saving $100 maybee? how long do you expect to have this welder? if you spred out that savings over the life of the tool ??? you saved $10 a year to get a cheep welder

Leave a comment:

• farmboy weldor
    replied
    info was very helpful

im not quite sure which brand i am loyal to yet, im in a transition phase, but the price will probably be the determining factor, all of the information is appreciated thanx

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Another Option

The Lincoln PT 185 has seen good reviews. I see it as a higher tech version of the 175 Squarewave. I owned a 175 SW for several years and really liked it. It is a tough and reliable machine. Perhaps a good used 175 is the answer. I bought mine for 1100.00 complete with torch, foot pedal, and running gear. It was 3 months old with less than 10 hours use. I never had a complaint.

If a new machine is your choice the Sync 180 is time proven. The Syncrowave series has been Millers mainstay for 25 years. Millers customer service is by far superior to Lincoln.

As Dyn88 said you will most likely buy the brand you are loyal to. Both are good machines and will perform well out of the box. I am a true blue Miller fan and currently own 3 Miller GTAW machines. I did have a warranty issue with one of them and it was fixed promptly without a hassle!!!

Leave a comment:

• dyn88
    replied
    in our die shop we have a pt375 w microstart and on the other end of the complex in the tool shop we have a sw250 both machines see no ac usage so I have no opinion on that matter, but I will say that the pt has a slower pedal than the sw and the micro start is not even noticable I can weld on the tips of .093 letter stamps with either machines and thats about as small as Many people will ever weld with conventional means. In my opinion if you are blue blooded you will buy miller. If your red blooded you will buy lincoln. One last note though I have found that millers tech help is much more helpful than lincolns. I do realize that neither one of these machines are the ones in question but they are very close relatives

Leave a comment:

• arcdawg
    replied
    well if you read what my post stated i only talked about the 185 since i have nt run the 180syncro........

i have use the 185 on two diffrent occasions once at a machine shop (4 or 5 hours ) and the second time was at LINCOLN ELECTRIC.....for 6 hours with the lincoln guys right there besides me....

we welded steel, stainless, and aluminum with it (varied thickness) and to tell you the truth it wasnt all that great...... even in the low range....

so its not like i am sitting here B.S. ing people.......i have time on that machine.....and was i impressed NO NOT REALLY......micro start or not !

even with the discount i get through lincoln i would most likley pass on the PT185

dawg

Leave a comment:

• Scott V
    replied
    Originally posted by arcdawg
    leader in its class..... what did consumers reports do a survey ?

i have used the p.t. 185 and its SMALL advance in technoligy compared to the s.w. 175

the pulser unit is so basic and its really a TOY more then anything else......

this machine (185) is for at most a hobbiest.....

yeah its a little bit smaller then the 175 s.w. and has the nice storage space/ pulse and ac balance.......its still a cleaned up 175.......

give me a reason why i should think diffrently

dawg

Microstart Techology ( same as its big brothers )...the low end on this machine is amazing

Start there,also since the Lincoln is a toy so is the Miller if you use your logic?

Leave a comment:

• arcdawg
    replied
    leader in its class..... what did consumers reports do a survey ?

i have used the p.t. 185 and its SMALL advance in technoligy compared to the s.w. 175

the pulser unit is so basic and its really a TOY more then anything else......

this machine (185) is for at most a hobbiest.....

yeah its a little bit smaller then the 175 s.w. and has the nice storage space/ pulse and ac balance.......its still a cleaned up 175.......

give me a reason why i should think diffrently

dawg

Leave a comment:

• arcdawg
    replied
    Originally posted by Scott V
    That is totally not true ,because the PT 185 is the leader in that class of non inverter units.

whats not true ?

Leave a comment:

• Scott V
    replied
    Originally posted by arcdawg
    i would have to go syncro...... the p.t. 185 is just a cleaned up 175 (which i hate ) the only features you get with the 185 is a pulser and a ac balance (whoopie freaking do!!!)

that pulser on the 185 is a joke and its going to hadicap you in the long run.....

the syncro will hold its value more too!

dawg

That is totally not true ,because the PT 185 is the leader in that class of non inverter units.

Leave a comment:

• farmboy weldor
    replied
    miller shops

the service of miller is great and the major reason i bought miller is because of all the shops around me use miller, i dont know if you have heard of Andellas metal fabrication but all they use is miller and they recommended miller all the way, thankx for the info guys!

Leave a comment:

• arcdawg
    replied
    i would have to go syncro...... the p.t. 185 is just a cleaned up 175 (which i hate ) the only features you get with the 185 is a pulser and a ac balance (whoopie freaking do!!!)

that pulser on the 185 is a joke and its going to hadicap you in the long run.....

the syncro will hold its value more too!

dawg

Leave a comment:

• lramberson
    Guest replied
    I have received excellent customer service with my set up.. Went to the red school and still bought BLUE, GO FIGURE. Product quality is top rate & the one issue I had was resolved with a phone call. I even received a follow up call and a e-mail from support to see if I was happy...
    I will say that I am no big player in the Fabrication Business but with service like this for the small operator I will consider them a better value. They stand behind the products they produce...

Leave a comment:

• timw
    replied
    I've used Millers for years and never had a complaint. 2 3/4 years ago I was shopping for a MIG. I went to a local independent Welder repair shop and ask the owner if there were any issues with the MM 210. He told me " If it's Blue, BUY IT". I did and I figure it took me 3 months to earn my money back with occasional welding jobs in my business.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X