enemy territory discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by farmboy weldor
    im not quite sure which brand i am loyal to yet, im in a transition phase, but the price will probably be the determining factor, all of the information is appreciated thanx
    I hope that you someday learn how flawed this method of choosing products is. It pays to do your homework. That includes price, features, quality, reputation, reliability, warranty, service, technical assistance, and don't forget, local representation. So while price should not be disregarded completely, the smart buyer will never let it overule the other factors...

Comment

klsm

A men to that brother
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

listen hear

listen hear klsm54 , i do my homework that is why i bought the miller 251, at the empire farm days with over 500 dollars off list price, i would have stayed with lincoln because my local distributor who i respect told me that the lincolns arc is superior for mig , it was just an honest question i wasnt sure about

Comment

...A little touchy there farmboy! You asked a question, many gave their input, then you nicely told all that their advice was secondary and you were going to buy on price. I merely stated why I think buying on price alone can often be a mistake. Sorry you didn't like my opinion.....

Comment

[QUOTE=fun4now]the red company just flooded the market to compeet with miller . just because you can get 1 at any hardware store dosent make it beter.

No , the little Lincolns for the most part are better because they just flat out weld better. I am not talking the big machines only the little ones. The Hobarts little tap machines have norrowed the gap quite a bit!!! I would buy one of those over the blue ones in the 135/175 range.

Comment

Gentelmen lets behave we will not have tempers, or bad manners. We work hard to keep it peaceful.

Comment

well. i know one thing i would like to do. the catagory of machine i was/am interested in. take them all(except the junk, ok, maybe even the junk). put them side by side and have at em.

Comment

[QUOTE=Scott V]
                  Originally posted by fun4now
                  the red company just flooded the market to compeet with miller . just because you can get 1 at any hardware store dosent make it beter.

No , the little Lincolns for the most part are better because they just flat out weld better. I am not talking the big machines only the little ones. The Hobarts little tap machines have norrowed the gap quite a bit!!! I would buy one of those over the blue ones in the 135/175 range.
                  You should try the new Miller Passport 175. I hope you have the opportunity. It is a great machine. BTW: the Lincoln 135SP is a great little 120VAC MIG!

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK
                    You should try the new Miller Passport 175. I hope you have the opportunity. It is a great machine. BTW: the Lincoln 135SP is a great little 120VAC MIG!
                    I welded with most of the small ones except the MM 135 so I have a good feel of what's out there. Shoot, I even had a esab mutimaster 160 ( girlfriends now) and had a Lincoln sp 175 plus which I traded for a perfect MM-185. I also have had a MM130 and a 130 XP so I would be interested in trying one. I just like a good inverter type arc the best, so it looks made to order.

I do think Miller should of added some plug in options to the passport like some kind of modular type plug in stuff for maybe stick or tig. Shoot I would love to it have a option to make it a voltage driven feeder for a extra price. I guess I just like to dream too much!!!

Comment

scottv,

I have made mention on several occassions there is a need for a 40 lb stick, tig, mig unit inverter with 1& 3 phase options in the 250 amp range that uses a separate CV feeder like the 8 RC. Now that would be a hot unit! It would be like a 250 amp version of the XMT. So far no go.

Comment

scottv,

I have made mention on several occassions there is a need for a 40 lb stick, tig, mig unit inverter with 1& 3 phase options in the 250 amp range that uses a separate CV feeder like the 8 RC. Now that would be a hot unit! It would be like a 250 amp version of the XMT. So far no go.
                        If they made that anywhere in the 210-260 amp range I think they will sell them like hot-cakes.

Comment

A DX200 with mig feeder controller, really does not sound to far or hard to accomplish...

Comment

You mean like this one? No 120 volt though. It is 300 amps though.
                            Attached Files

Comment

Actually that is the unit I was thinking about. I rented a similar TA for a job once and liked it. The duty cycle seemed a little shy, but it performed well. I am still a huge Miller fan. The warranty problems and poor tech support from TA in the past will be a hard thing to forget. However, I understand things have greatly improved.

Comment

Actually that is the unit I was thinking about. I rented a similar TA for a job once and liked it. The duty cycle seemed a little shy, but it performed well. I am still a huge Miller fan. The warranty problems and poor tech support from TA in the past will be a hard thing to forget. However, I understand things have greatly improved.

The duty cycle is about same as a 251 at 300 amps single-phase power 25 %
                                It is a little lower at 250 amps 35%. I have great support though my welding store so that really is pretty much a non issue for me. ( my friend there really knows how to work the system ) That might not work for some but for me it opens up buying Miller/esab/Lincoln/ Thermal with out thinking all that much about support problems. If I bought on-line and did not have good access to the different reps I might re-think some of my buying habits. Here is what I had in my hobby shop at one time. Two of the yellow ones I bought for my girlfriend. There is a MK 2000 a tucked in there for a 300 amp 100%,also a 300 powermig duty- if needed. I really never ran into duty-cycle issues for what I weld anyway. I do believe in having enough juice to do the job though.

Was your welder the Italian TA stuff ?
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X