No announcement yet.

enemy territory discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well if you read what my post stated i only talked about the 185 since i have nt run the 180syncro........

i have use the 185 on two diffrent occasions once at a machine shop (4 or 5 hours ) and the second time was at LINCOLN ELECTRIC.....for 6 hours with the lincoln guys right there besides me....

we welded steel, stainless, and aluminum with it (varied thickness) and to tell you the truth it wasnt all that great...... even in the low range....

so its not like i am sitting here B.S. ing people.......i have time on that machine.....and was i impressed NO NOT REALLY......micro start or not !

even with the discount i get through lincoln i would most likley pass on the PT185

dawg

Comment

in our die shop we have a pt375 w microstart and on the other end of the complex in the tool shop we have a sw250 both machines see no ac usage so I have no opinion on that matter, but I will say that the pt has a slower pedal than the sw and the micro start is not even noticable I can weld on the tips of .093 letter stamps with either machines and thats about as small as Many people will ever weld with conventional means. In my opinion if you are blue blooded you will buy miller. If your red blooded you will buy lincoln. One last note though I have found that millers tech help is much more helpful than lincolns. I do realize that neither one of these machines are the ones in question but they are very close relatives
      Trailblazer 302g
      coolmate4
      hf-251d-1
      super s-32p
      you can never know enough

Comment

Another Option

The Lincoln PT 185 has seen good reviews. I see it as a higher tech version of the 175 Squarewave. I owned a 175 SW for several years and really liked it. It is a tough and reliable machine. Perhaps a good used 175 is the answer. I bought mine for 1100.00 complete with torch, foot pedal, and running gear. It was 3 months old with less than 10 hours use. I never had a complaint.

If a new machine is your choice the Sync 180 is time proven. The Syncrowave series has been Millers mainstay for 25 years. Millers customer service is by far superior to Lincoln.

As Dyn88 said you will most likely buy the brand you are loyal to. Both are good machines and will perform well out of the box. I am a true blue Miller fan and currently own 3 Miller GTAW machines. I did have a warranty issue with one of them and it was fixed promptly without a hassle!!!

Comment

info was very helpful

im not quite sure which brand i am loyal to yet, im in a transition phase, but the price will probably be the determining factor, all of the information is appreciated thanx

Comment

did i here you right

undefinedim in a transition phase, but the price will probably be the determining factor, all of the information is appreciated thanx

so what you want is a cheep welder
            why ask about quality if you just want cheep
            you should be concidering the info given and not about saving $100 maybee? how long do you expect to have this welder? if you spred out that savings over the life of the tool ??? you saved $10 a year to get a cheep welder
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
            JAMES

Comment

farmboy,

CUSTOMER SERVICE MEANS A LOT. MAYBE NOT TO YOU RIGHT NOW BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE THE MACHINE BROKEN DOWN AND CANNOT GET YOUR PROJECT DONE OR DON'T CURRENTLY HAVE THE NEED FOR TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE OR JUST NEED INFO ON NEW ACCESSORIES FOR YOUR MACHINE, BUT IF THIS HAPPENS YOU WANT A MANUFACTURER THAT WILL STAND BESIDE YOU!

Here is a post I wrote some time back and the replies to it. I hope you will take the time to read this before taking the plunge.

04-24-2004, 11:02 PM
              HAWK
              Senior Member Join Date: Jul 2003

The Best

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recenlty posted thes paragraphs under the post regarding Lincoln's new TIG 185. I feel it warrants its own spot on this forum.

You may find a good machine that you like and it might be red or even purple. What's going to happen when you need parts, technical, or even just help assistance? Did you read the post "Poor Decision" started by Patrick Carter? That right there should tell us all something.

I have met quite a few Miller employees including Andy from this forum and Sue Feldkamp from the communications and marketing. Dave Fisher from TIG applications and I have spent many hours on the phone. I have met many others. All in all too many to mention, but thanks to all! These people are great! They care about us: the customer big and small! Some of these folks I have met a time or two and others are my friends.

Here's the deal: Even if Miller had the second best product, we would still have the best customer service in the business! Guess what? Buy a Miller welding machine and you have the best machine available in its class and friendly helpful people to support it!

HAWK

HAWK
              View Public Profile
              Find all posts by HAWK
              Add HAWK to Your Buddy List

#2 04-25-2004, 12:44 AM
              jeffscarstrucks
              Member Join Date: Oct 2003

I must say that I agree. I have delt with Miller factory service reps and they have been more than helpfull even when it was an error on my part. When a person at the corporate level gives me his private extension, I'm impressed. The service Miller has shown to me as a customer has been amazing; Wether at the corporate service level or the local factory zone rep for the southern IL-MO area. As Iv'e said on this board before Tully P. of Miller and Tim at Cee Kay In St. Louis along with Jeff in Miller service have made me an all blue shop. I could go on in detail!!! Thanks Guys, JEFF

jeffscarstrucks
              View Public Profile
              Find all posts by jeffscarstrucks
              Add jeffscarstrucks to Your Buddy List

#3 04-25-2004, 08:30 AM
              aametalmaster
              Member Join Date: Feb 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with everything Hawk says. Service is everything....Bob

aametalmaster
              View Public Profile
              Visit aametalmaster's homepage!
              Find all posts by aametalmaster
              Add aametalmaster to Your Buddy List

#4 04-25-2004, 10:20 AM
              cnslmva
              Junior Member Join Date: Apr 2004

I agree also. I have never had a problem with any of my Miller equipment, but I am greatly impressed with the customer service that I have received with technical questions that I have went to Miller with over the years! The red guys I know can't even get repair parts for their stuff in a timely manner! GO BLUE!

cnslmva
              View Public Profile
              Find all posts by cnslmva
              Add cnslmva to Your Buddy List

#5 04-25-2004, 10:33 AM
              moe1942
              Senior Member Join Date: Feb 2004

The best

I wholeheartedly agree as well. I have three "Blue" machines. Two engine driven and a new MM175. The oldest is a 1961 engine driven welder that I can still get parts for. It works as well today as it did new.

moe1942

moe1942
              View Public Profile
              Find all posts by moe1942
              Add moe1942 to Your Buddy List

#6 04-25-2004, 10:39 AM
              moe1942
              Senior Member Join Date: Feb 2004

Last edited by moe1942 : 04-26-2004 at 07:43 AM.

Comment

I agree with Hawk. There have been several posts both here and at Hobart from welding supplier employees and owners and they have all recommended Miller over anything else. There are probably locales where Miller support is not as good as Lincoln or Esab, but Miller is only a phone call or email away. A friend of mine who hangs out at Hobart bought a used Maxstar 150 (from Ebay I believe) and it went belly up the first time he struck an arc. Miller told him to take it to his local dealer. Within a couple of days he had a new unit. Thant's hard to beat!

Comment

flooding the market

the red company just flooded the market to compeet with miller . just because you can get 1 at any hardware store dosent make it beter. miller makes a quality welder people are willing to go look for (welding store ) they dont need to sell buy being everyware.
                  most of all they are here 4 us the little guy not just the guy's at nascar
                  miller put this forum here to help us and to get them $$$ no
                  to help us and help them to know what we want to improve ther line yep yep yep
                  its a good thing and you are here using it already
                  why arnt you at the red's site oh i forgot no suport

in the end what is realy going to matter is the suport you get from your chosen welders maker.
                  good luck with your choice and no matter what you get if you need help we will always be here to try to help

P.S. sorry if i seemed rude or harsh b4 i was having a realy bad day and think you got the rudeness that should have been given to somone els earlyer that day
                  thanks for the help
                  ......or..........
                  hope i helped
                  sigpic
                  feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                  summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                  JAMES

Comment

What I don't get is why my local welding shop hasn't seen a Miller rep in there for the past 5 years, but they see the Lincoln guy every 2 or so weeks. And we only live an hour away from Appleton.
                    -Tanner

Comment

Tanner,

Maybe they are not looking. ???

Comment

What do you mean? Not looking as in the Shops fault, or Millers?
                        -Tanner

Comment

Tanner,

If your shop has not seen a rep in "forever", then something is wrong. Maybe they communicate directly with the factory as it is close by. The district reps work large territories and it is hard to get around to all the dealers in a timely manner though they usually do a pretty good job. There are myriad things that could be happening. Is the dealer stating they have not seen a Miller rep or exactly what's the deal? Maybe I mis-read your post???

Comment

Tanner,

Off the subject, but 5631TCP and 5632 UDP are the current ports used by PC Anywhere or has something changed? I took my Linux VPN down for maintenance and am unable to hit my host via this software.

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK
                              Tanner,

If your shop has not seen a rep in "forever", then something is wrong. Maybe they communicate directly with the factory as it is close by. The district reps work large territories and it is hard to get around to all the dealers in a timely manner though they usually do a pretty good job. There are myriad things that could be happening. Is the dealer stating they have not seen a Miller rep or exactly what's the deal? Maybe I mis-read your post???

When I went into the shop, I asked the guy flat out "Ok, Miller or Lincoln?" And he said "I'll only say Lincoln because we haven't seen a Miller rep in this shop for about 5 years. We never get new product literature or anything. On the other hand, the Lincoln guy always trains us on what new features are coming out, and what machines and the like. Not a lot of blue is sold around here."

HAWK, I'll go there tomorrow and check it out again. Iso, I got your email, and I'll be talking to my teachers tomorrow to see if its ok for you to come by and weld. Since its a school district, the insurance and such is in the way. I'll let you know via email tomorrow. And for the PC anywhere, I'm checking.

http://www.nthelp.com/NT6/pcanywhere_ip_port_usage.htm

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT...01021417112312
                              -Tanner

Comment

Tanner,

Thanks! I now have both machines using the registered5--- ports: one TCP and one UDP. Unfortunately the host machine's firewall is not configured for port forwarding. Oh well, what's another 60 miles when I am already working this one for free?

LET ME KNOW ABOUT THE MILLER REP SITUATION. IF THIS DEALER IS NOT ON THE MILLER MAP, LET'S SEE IF WE CAN GET THAT FIXED. LINCOLN IS A DECENT PRODUCT, BUT IT WOULD BE NICE TO HAVE A CHOICE.

Comment

Working...
                                X