Another Noob Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Noob Question

I have been lurking here for a few days and enjoy the expertise and help you all give. Here's my problem. I plan on getting a MM175 for general auto work and home usage since it fits my needs, budget etc. Once I get proficient enough I'd like to finally weld together my exhaust that's been lying around. The problem is that the pipe is T-304 SS but the flanges are 3/8 inch mild steel. Will the MM175 handle this because I cannot find the answer to welding differing metals types and thicknesses. Will I be in over my head? Should I just forget buying and just pay someone again?

Thanks

Originally posted by Vampire
    I have been lurking here for a few days and enjoy the expertise and help you all give. Here's my problem. I plan on getting a MM175 for general auto work and home usage since it fits my needs, budget etc. Once I get proficient enough I'd like to finally weld together my exhaust that's been lying around. The problem is that the pipe is T-304 SS but the flanges are 3/8 inch mild steel. Will the MM175 handle this because I cannot find the answer to welding differing metals types and thicknesses. Will I be in over my head? Should I just forget buying and just pay someone again?

Thanks
    I would buy the HH 180 over the MM 175, but neither one is the ideal amchine for this job. The MM 210 is rated for 3/8". This could be welded using either the 175/180 but it would require multiple passes. It is not a critical weld so if you never planned to routinely do anything over 1/4" either machine would be OK.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I was also wondering what type of sheilding gas and wire type would be best. I was guessing since one metal is SS I should use trimix and .035 SS wire. Is that right?

Originally posted by cope
      I would buy the HH 180 over the MM 175, but neither one is the ideal amchine for this job. The MM 210 is rated for 3/8". This could be welded using either the 175/180 but it would require multiple passes. It is not a critical weld so if you never planned to routinely do anything over 1/4" either machine would be OK.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I was also wondering what type of sheilding gas and wire type would be best. I was guessing since one metal is SS I should use trimix and .035 SS wire. Is that right?
        I have never done ss mig welding. The little I did on stick I used SS rods. Someone else needs to recommend a gas/wire for this. If its a one off project and the rest of your welding will be mild steel I might just use E70S6 wire and C-25 unless you could borrow some gas from a friend. A 2# roll of SS wire wouldn't break the bank, but a cylinder re-fill would cost a bit.

Comment

Well, if it's going to be dissimilar materials, go with the mild steel filler and the 75/25 gas. The small machines are really not that great on stainless wire as the stainless wire really likes higher inductance settings than the small mig units were designed for. The welds will look a little darker than normal but if this isn't critical all should hold well if material is prepped and you put a couple of passes.

Good luck.

Andy

Comment

Thanks Andy, I am considering the MM210 but I question if I really would make use of it in the long run.

Paul

Originally posted by ASKANDY
            Well, if it's going to be dissimilar materials, go with the mild steel filler and the 75/25 gas. The small machines are really not that great on stainless wire as the stainless wire really likes higher inductance settings than the small mig units were designed for. The welds will look a little darker than normal but if this isn't critical all should hold well if material is prepped and you put a couple of passes.

Good luck.

Andy

Comment

Vampire:
              I own the mm210 w/ the spoolmate3035 for welding Aluminum and this is a great setup. If you have any thoughts of trying Aluminum the mm175 will accept the accessories but will be a bit underpowered. I love my mm210.

peace,

Comment

i just did some exhaust work on my truck. 3" 14g pipe to 3/8 mild steel flange.
                with .025 L-56 wire, my 135 machine jointed the pieces in a VERY nice fashion = almost looked TIGed.
                no multy passes needed. and machine not maxed out. i used a circular motion with the gun/puddle, staying mostly on the flange and blending onto the pipe.

i have never done dissimilar metals. but i think a 175 machine would kick butt for this size/type work.

Comment

Thank you all for the input and advice guys. I'm going to pick up the MM175 or 210 tomorrow. I'll decide when I get there

Comment

Thanks Andy, I am considering the MM210 but I question if I really would make use of it in the long run.

Paul

Thank you all for the input and advice guys. I'm going to pick up the MM175 or 210 tomorrow. I'll decide when I get there
                    Paul,

If you did a survey on this forum, Hobart and/or any other welding forum you won't find many people who wished they had bought a smaller machine.

Comment

Good point Cope!

Like Tim the tool man says..."Go big or stay home" "Arr, Arr, Arr"

A-

Comment

More power, smile and say cheese.

peace.

Comment

Working...
                        X