Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The DeWalt DW872 Chop saw.

Hi guys,
    Have any of you used the Dewalt DW872 chop saw yet? I watched a video on it today and looked pretty nice. It's got a carbide tipped blade.So how about it is it time for me to put my abrasive chop saw on the shelf? Fastenal has the DeWalt for $450.00. By the way what is the difference between my abrasive wheeled saw and the DeWalt. Is it just the blade or are the rpms slower on the DeWalt.
    Bulldog
    5 Passport Pluses
    2 MM 212's
    MM 210
    MM 251 MIA
    MM 350 P w/Python
    Syncrowave 250
    w/ tig runner
    Trailblazer 302
    12RC w/meters
    Spectrum 1000
    Spectrum 2050
    2 Black BWEs
    Joker BWE
    Star & stripe BWE Digital
    2 star & stripe xlix's

REAL TRUCKS RATTLE
    CUMMINS BABY

The carbide blade makes more accurate cuts. You get more cuts per blade as opposed to a abrasive disk. Metal is some what cool to touch after cut. Blade chips metal away and you do not get the notorius metal dust cloud from what I hear. I plan on buying one from grainger in a few weeks.
    Equipment
    Lincoln SA 200, Miller 252 , Miller TrailBlazer 275 and Hypertherm Powermax 600

Comment

Bulldog,

On any carbide tipped cutting blade saw, dewalt, makita, evolution, the rpms are a lot less then an abrasive saw, if you take that carbide blade and put it on an abrasive saw it'll rip the teeth right off, also if you take the abrasive blade and put it on the carbide saw it won't cut anything because it's to slow. But i've used them, i own the makita one and it cuts like you wouldn't believe, it's almost like you have your own bandsaw, no dust, no fumes, only little chips and nice fit ups. And i believe you get 30-40 times the life of an abrasive saw blade, so you'll run through 30-40 blades compared to one of the carbide tipped blades. Hope this helps ya out.

BC
      BC

Dynasty 200DX
      Coolmate 3
      MM210 w/3035 spoolgun
      Cutmaster 101
      LC1230 12" Metal Cutting Saw

Comment

Bulldog,

I've had one for almost two years. Cuts real well, fast and straight. The gearbox on mine was leaking when I got it from The Tool Crib (Amazon). Took it to the local DeWalt warranty station and wasn't real happy with their service, but the machine works as advertised. The table and clamp were less than spectacular. A machinist friend of mine made me a 24" X 24" X 1/2" steel table with a 1/2" X 13 hole every inch. Then you use machinist clamps to hold things any old way you want. But, it does cut well.

Comment

I have a bandsaw and would like to know if a chop saw would be a nice addition?

I am guessing that the fit up after a chop saw cut is far better than a bandsaw cut. If I had a better bandsaw then this may not be the case but when working with wood, I find it easier to get the angles with the chop saw. I am guessing that the same would apply to metal.

Are these 'special' chop saws designed specifically for metal or are they the same with different blades?

Comments appreciated.

Thanks!

Steve

Comment

not same as wood

the metal chop's go slower than the wood and have a diferent table as you have to clamp down you're metal befor cutting
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
            JAMES

Comment

Dw872

Yes the 872 is some saw. Cuts like butter. turns at 1300 rpm opposed to abrasive saws 3800 rpm. No you cant put this blade in a normal abrasive type saw, you'll knock the teeth out of it. I had a customer that had to try it & thats what happened. Carbide teeth all over the shop. They are nice for a fast portable saw. Cold saw they aren't but not $5000.00 either. usually 1/10th that price. the only thing I warn you is to clamp your stock well. use the extra clamp they come with. You'll Love these saws though.
              Dynasty 200DX With TEC Superflex 9 & 17 Torches,
              Hypertherm 30A Plasma
              Rincoln SP130T Mig

Comment

Ok I'm convinced! I'll be ordering one this week. I'll let everyone know how it cuts. Thank you very much for all the input.
                Bulldog
                5 Passport Pluses
                2 MM 212's
                MM 210
                MM 251 MIA
                MM 350 P w/Python
                Syncrowave 250
                w/ tig runner
                Trailblazer 302
                12RC w/meters
                Spectrum 1000
                Spectrum 2050
                2 Black BWEs
                Joker BWE
                2 star & stripe xlix's

REAL TRUCKS RATTLE
                CUMMINS BABY

Comment

I don't like the cheap base and clamp on the Dewalt's. Makita has a much sturdier setup.

JTMcC.
                  Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

JTMcC,
                    I didn't see the Makita on the Makita web site. What's the model #? Who's got the best prices???
                    Bulldog
                    5 Passport Pluses
                    2 MM 212's
                    MM 210
                    MM 251 MIA
                    MM 350 P w/Python
                    Syncrowave 250
                    w/ tig runner
                    Trailblazer 302
                    12RC w/meters
                    Spectrum 1000
                    Spectrum 2050
                    2 Black BWEs
                    Joker BWE
                    2 star & stripe xlix's

REAL TRUCKS RATTLE
                    CUMMINS BABY

Comment

LC-1230 Makita 12" Metal Cutting Saw.

I buy from my local welding supply. I think Northern sells them, probably a lot of others as well.

I like the Makita base/clamp much better than the others.And I think the 12" blade cuts more accurate angles. I'm not a Makita fan, this is the only thing they make that I like, but I like it a lot. We use a lot of Dewalt grinders.

We have thousands of cuts on ours, mostly pipe (and some tube) under 3", 3/4 of them angles.

regards,
                      JTMcC.
                      Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Well still looking but getting close to a decision... I have givin up on the DeWalt. Cheap clamp! I like the Makita 12" $358.00 Good price but it's a 12" saw. Very nice clamp! Now my brother in law told me about this sweet saw that he used today, It's a Hatachi CD14F. He said that it's a NICE saw. 14" . I haven't looked at pricing yet...
                        Bulldog
                        5 Passport Pluses
                        2 MM 212's
                        MM 210
                        MM 251 MIA
                        MM 350 P w/Python
                        Syncrowave 250
                        w/ tig runner
                        Trailblazer 302
                        12RC w/meters
                        Spectrum 1000
                        Spectrum 2050
                        2 Black BWEs
                        Joker BWE
                        2 star & stripe xlix's

REAL TRUCKS RATTLE
                        CUMMINS BABY

Comment

I think the 12" is just enough, i've heard on some guys that the 14" saws walk and vibrate like ****. Now i'm not sure if it's just the end user, but all i know is that my Makita is a great chop saw, hellva a lot better then my old 14" milwaukee, and going from 14" to 12" to 10" and down just sucks, cuz when you need to cut something large, the blade might be to small then you have to change the blade. But i've never come into any problems with the size of my 12" makita.

BC
                          BC

Dynasty 200DX
                          Coolmate 3
                          MM210 w/3035 spoolgun
                          Cutmaster 101
                          LC1230 12" Metal Cutting Saw

Comment

Thanks for the input BC. I'm still looking but I like the Makita so far. I still need to look at the Hatachi. I haven't seen it yet but have been told that it's a great saw. Does anybody have any input on the Hatachi? I would love to hear from owners or users of the saw.
                            Bulldog
                            5 Passport Pluses
                            2 MM 212's
                            MM 210
                            MM 251 MIA
                            MM 350 P w/Python
                            Syncrowave 250
                            w/ tig runner
                            Trailblazer 302
                            12RC w/meters
                            Spectrum 1000
                            Spectrum 2050
                            2 Black BWEs
                            Joker BWE
                            2 star & stripe xlix's

REAL TRUCKS RATTLE
                            CUMMINS BABY

Comment

Presently own the Dewalt now and am happy with it, but the base is lacking.You will know when the blade becomes dull it is like a off switch, that baby won't cut and downward pressure is not the answer. If I could do it over again I would purchase the MILWAUKEE unit. Better base, excellent parts if needed and a reputation second to none.. Just my 2 cents...

Comment

Working...
                              X