Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copper coating on mild steel filler rods.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    but I didn't inhale....

    The Downside:

    On those occasions when you get a whif of your own weding fumes, would you rather be sniffing toxic or non-toxic fumes?

    Would you rather use a filler that was relatively pure or one that is sure to leave foreign material in the weld?

    Bare wire and rod is available, if you seek it out. You may pay a premium when compared to the shelf stocked items, or you may be asked to buy a larger quantity, in either case it is well worth the effort. You may also use the "HAWK" option and strip your rod of the toxic materials prior to use.

    Check with the welders fabricating tube frames for aircraft if you want discourse on the copper contamination of coated filler rod.
    72boss

    Syncrowave 350LX
    MM210 w/3035
    Smith Dual Guard for Welding & Cutting

    Comment


    • #17
      For anyone who wants to try it:

      Run a 20 inch MIG short arc bead on 1/4 steel with copper coated ER70S-6 and run the same bead with bare ER70S-6. Use scale free clean steel for both welds. Compare the beads with the naked eye and under a 10X glass. I think you will be amazed.

      Do the same with the TIG filler. I can't see as much difference between the copper coated and bare filler wires for TIG as I do in the MIG wires. However, there is a difference.

      Food for thought.

      Comment


      • #18
        About 20 years ago it was easy to get uncoated welding rods (steel).

        It was used mostly by muffler shops when they still used oxy-actyelene welding in some muffler shops at that time. It was perfered for the galvanized muffler tubing.
        It just worked better with a torch.

        Now that MIG is used in muffler shops you do not see the uncoated wire anymore.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by HAWK View Post
          For anyone who wants to try it:

          Run a 20 inch MIG short arc bead on 1/4 steel with copper coated ER70S-6 and run the same bead with bare ER70S-6. Use scale free clean steel for both welds. Compare the beads with the naked eye and under a 10X glass. I think you will be amazed.

          Do the same with the TIG filler. I can't see as much difference between the copper coated and bare filler wires for TIG as I do in the MIG wires. However, there is a difference.

          Food for thought.
          Too bad you did not tell us what you saw.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by BCarlucci View Post
            Hawk,

            Always have to have a clean shop right? I know when it comes to mine i hate it when my floors are dirty and there's dust all over the place.

            BC
            True story.

            One time I had to make a weld on something down low to the floor.
            I had to lay on the floor. When I picked up the stick welding electrode holder I was getting a small shock!! I finally found out that there was so much metal grinding dust on the floor that is was making a weak connection.
            I carefully put down the stinger and got up off of that floor!!!

            Good reason to keep the floors clean. Also prevents slip and falls.
            welding slag is like millions of little ball bearings

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Donald Branscom View Post
              True story.

              One time I had to make a weld on something down low to the floor.
              I had to lay on the floor. When I picked up the stick welding electrode holder I was getting a small shock!! I finally found out that there was so much metal grinding dust on the floor that is was making a weak connection.
              I carefully put down the stinger and got up off of that floor!!!

              Good reason to keep the floors clean. Also prevents slip and falls.
              welding slag is like millions of little ball bearings
              Haha, then that's why my wife is always telling me to clean up my mess! I thought that she was just nagging, but she actually cares :-)
              Welding Machines For Sale

              http://www.weldingmachinesforsale.net

              Comment


              • #22
                MC (metallurgically controlled) grade, vacuum-remelt, rod and wire, approved by Pratt and Whitney, GE, Rolls-Royce, NASA, etc., . . . none of which will be copper coated:

                usweldingcorp.com

                lancasteralloys.co.uk

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by old jupiter View Post
                  MC (metallurgically controlled) grade, vacuum-remelt, rod and wire, approved by Pratt and Whitney, GE, Rolls-Royce, NASA, etc., . . . none of which will be copper coated:

                  usweldingcorp.com

                  lancasteralloys.co.uk
                  Thanks Old Jupitor.

                  What sections and metals will those be used on in the engine?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    A good question here...

                    I was not specifically aware that the copper was intended as a lubricant for the drawing operations or if it is even critically needed. I have seen and used wire from several manufacturers and most are copper coated. If copper is a contaminant I highly doubt the good welding wire gods would permit it being put onto wire. From the metallurgical stand point small amounts of copper are added to most types of steel to function as a very potent De-oxidizer. The copper on the welding wire then must not be completely vaporized under arc temperatures and some must end up in the finished weld. The de-oxidizers help to draw oxygen out of the weld and to also assist in formation of slag. Even when Migging or Tigging there will be a very fine slag on the finished Welds. You can also buy uncoated wire or rod in the same sizes that come coated. I have used both and not seen any difference in bend tests using either. Unless you are welding super critical aerospace welds I doubt whether or not it makes much difference if you sand or wipe them with acetone. If you are welding this stuff You probably wouldnt be using mild steel filler wire, (but maybe).
                    I have a welding addiction

                    ...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X