Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arcdawg
    replied
    needless to say the teachers at lincoln were not happy when i told them that i prefer a SYNCRO to any of there stuff *(shameless plug...now send me one)

i will take a syncro 250 w/ pulser unit or a dyna200 w/ watercooler

that can all be sent to arcdawgs house !!

dawg

Leave a comment:

• jeffscarstrucks
    replied
    Thanks Dawg, I have heard too much do heat, don't heat that it is good to get some input. I know you went to the school (OK, I'm jealous) and I was curious as to their take on it. Thanks for writing, JEFF On an unrelated subject I am always surprised at Miller's lack of exposure in the motorsports world. I'm a drag car guy and Lincoln always maintains a presence at NHRA races as well as most large circle track series.....JEFF

Leave a comment:

• arcdawg
    replied
    jeff, i took my BEND TEST at lincoln electric (sorry andy ) motorsports class....

thin wall tubing (forget the #s) but i was running at 70amps on a squarewave 255.... at room temp (thats the key here) like you stated 70*

it is nothced out and then i tacked it in 4 places then welded it no pre and no post heat.... put in the bender and cranked to 5800psi........

the guy i learned from (joe kousla) is good freinds w/ wyatt and is heavily involved in the e.a.a. and motorsports welding

when it comes to c.m. welding i much rather do the PRE heat on it cause when its a airplane frame or a drag car chasis ........i rather be safe then sorry

dawg

Leave a comment:

• jeffscarstrucks
    replied
    Hi, I am wondering about Arcdawg's response as it pertains to relatively thin tubing. I would like to know the Motorsports school position on this kind of weld. The seminar that I recently attended was taught by Wyatt Swaim, EAA guru and instructor and Tig Depot owner. His take was room temp, weld with 70... and done. No pre or post heat. Comparing notes is the best thing about this forum as I am here as a hobbiest and am always open to new info! JEFF

Leave a comment:

• dyn88
    replied
    http://www.jwharris.com/welref/faq/ Cut and paste this and go to the bottom for yor answer right from the horses mouth

Leave a comment:

• arcdawg
    replied
    straight from e.a.a

three tempratures to control in c.m. welding

PREHEAT

INTERPASS (WHILE WELDING)

AND POST HEAT (PROPANE TORCH)

filler metal......er-80s-d2 er70s-2 er70-6

if this is what the airplane guys are doing i think that i would follow suit

dawg

Leave a comment:

• jeffscarstrucks
    replied
    Hi, I have been to several seminars that recommend the 70 filler and definitely no stress relieving of tubing associated with motorsports uses. There are a lot of old wives tales. Good Luck, JEFF

Leave a comment:

• bail76
    replied
    I always use ER80S-D2 and it works fine. We never stress relieve tubing. Thicker pieces of 4130 would require pre and post heat but thin wall tube like used for cages does not need it. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• dyn88
    replied
    in the machining industry every welded item needs to be stress relieved. I have never heard of any of the local racers stress relieving their cages. If you do use 70 or 80 it should be uncoated to prevent copper contamination. when I welded chromemoly rearends at moroso we never stress relieved and in my four years never got a returned product due to weld failure. At moroso we used uncoated er 70 s3 tig and mig (.035 mig)

Leave a comment:

• arcdawg
    replied
    er-70s is what i used to get my CERT(BEND TEST) but you can use er-80s

as far as relieving the welds im sure someone on the board will have that awnser......

dawg

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic 4130 rollcage welds "input needed"

4130 rollcage welds "input needed"

Hello I was wanting some feedback on which filler metal to use on 1 5/8 x .083 wall 4130 pipe. I have heard two or three different wire choices from different fabrication and machine shops. They all claim their choice is the correct one. I do pipe welding on different grades of chrome pipe in the petroleum industry, these welds are stress relieved after completion. Do these 4130 welds need to be stress relieved? Is there a wire that will work and not require post weld stress? Thanks to everyone that will give input on this subject.
Working...
X