Look what I found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look what I found

Found this over at the hobart board. This is EXACTLY what I need in a welder. Absolutely perfect for me. My next purchase!
    -Tanner

Just saw it over there as well, looks like a neat machine, know if I was looking for a 175 machine this would be it. Reading the literature/specs posted however, I'm not unhappy that I jumped past to the MM210.
    Manny

PS: Tanner you're gonna have to change you signiture to "future DVI owner"

Comment

sweet

looks like just the ticket for a gerage hoby shop. wish it was out when i got my mm135 i would have got it insted. i am verry happy with my mm135 though it continues to amaze me every time i pick it up
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by Manny
        Just saw it over there as well, looks like a neat machine, know if I was looking for a 175 machine this would be it. Reading the literature/specs posted however, I'm not unhappy that I jumped past to the MM210.
        Manny

PS: Tanner you're gonna have to change you signiture to "future DVI owner"

Ya know, looking at it, for about $100 more, I can get a more powerful machine..
        -Tanner

Comment

i wanna hear what hawk thinks ?????????

Comment

Most of the feedback over at Hobart is negative, and while I think Miller will sell them, I kind of agree.

Still, it doesn't matter what someone else thinks; if you want one its your money.

Comment

Originally posted by arcdawg
              i wanna hear what hawk thinks ?????????
              arcdawg,

Headed out for a meeting. I do have some input, but it will be later this evening. Hang tight-intersting stuff.

Comment

Did the negative feed from the hobart members, come from people who tried this machine ? scott

Comment

If I were moving a wire feed from job to job this might be a good possibility but I still prefer the extra power of my mm210. Just a .02 worth.

Peace,

Comment

What HAWK Thinks about the DVI

This machine is still a proto type machine in most areas of the United States. It has seen a limited released in a couple of areas. I have spent countless hours with the proto type version and can honestly say I love the machine. I really crackles on 120 VAC up to about 135 amps. The 240 VAC brings it into the 175 amp top end.

The arc is soft and similar to the MM210. This machine makes clean crisp welds. It pushes .023" and .030" ER70 series wire very well on 120VAC. It will run .035" on 120VAC, there is no real need as the .030" really rocks!

On 240VAC it is killer. It has a great short arc even with .035" wire and lays out a very clean spray arc with .030" wire and a 92%argon / 8%CO2 shielding gas. I have run the DVI a lot with the standard 75% argon / 25 % CO2 gas mix and it is a fantastic short arc unit.

The plug swap out is great. It is quick and easy. That's about all there is to that.

It is designed for those users working with up to 1/4" material. I don't mean welding 1/4" like a MM135 will. I mean rocking with it. I run a lot on 120VAC up to 3/16" material and hit the 220VAC for the 1/4" and spray arc mode.

I have not been able to hurt this machine as hard as I am on equipment. It is a fantastic idea and works well. Sometimes it is great to plug up and weld as oppossed to setting up the ALT or XMT or even the Dynasty stations. There are times when plugging up and migging is what needs to be done. This machine falls somewhere between the MM135/175 and the MM210. I think it is a better machine than the 175 due to the transformer/rectifier bridge that allows for the dual voltage input. It does not have the guts of the 210 and was not designed that way. The 210 offers a higher top end with the dual gas valves and is out of the box ready to add a spoolgun. I see a possible option of adding a spoolgun, but would look toward the 210 if that is in your plans.

I have to say since this machine has been in my test shop the ALT and other MIG units have become jealous as their MIG usage has been quite limited. I like this machine "o so much" it has become my right hand for numerous projects.

If this piece of equipment is getting bad reviews it is for one of 2 reasons:

The operator has not spent any time learning the machine
                    or
                    The operator doe not have much experience with MIG machines within this class.

These are bold statements. I feel qualiied to make then as I have spent numerous months and countless pounds of wire/ CFH of shielding gas in various mixes welding with this unit. Anybody that say different just does not know what they are talking about. Strong words. Strong machine.

If you are searching for a dual voltage MIG capable of good solid hot 1/4" welds in the short arc mode ; a good clean spray arc with appropriate shielding gas ; easy to use ; and shop portable, then this is your machine.

I WILL HAVE ONE IN MY SHOP!

Comment

I am glad to hear the good report HAWK. The knock by many on the Hobart board was that the machine is a "Gimmick" machine. I have been selling welding equipment for many years now, and I can say that if one company is not prone to bringing out gimmick machines, it is Miller.

I don't see this machine as replacing the MM210, or the MM135, but when there is a need for both, it certainly would be better than buying two machines. The adapter plugs and automatic linking are great ideas.

I have not seen the list price yet, but I can see it as a great machine for the beginner who would normally buy a 135, knowing full well that he will upgrade when he gets his new garage , with 220 power, built. Why go through that buy, sell, buy again hassle. Just buy the DVI and be done with it.

Also great for maintenence applications where the machine will be used on 220 in the shop, but may be used in areas that only have 110 power. Race teams are another great application. Most of these guys have 220 in the shop, but may want to take the machine to the track where they only have access to 110 volt power...And the list goes on.

Time will tell, but I think it will be a good machine. Possibly a "Niche" machine, but hardly a gimmick.

Comment

Scott (klsm54),

I am personally just disappointed with fact that the unit weighs in at around 165 lbs and seems to be physically the same size as the MM 210. I d like to have seen it closer in size to the MM 175. Im looking at it from the point that i work industrial maintenance and a machine the size of a MM 175 that is 120/240 capable would be nice to have to reach areas in the plant that i cannot get to with the larger units. A smaller compact 120/240 unit would also be handy in certain areas on my dad's farm. Also, based on the 240 rating, in my opinion, this unit should at least have the M-15 gun on it instead of the lighter duty M-10.

I don't dought that this unit has an excellent short arc. Miller seems be make an excellent tapped voltage machine. Im basing this on my experience with my MM 210 and MM 185. Ok my MM 251 is an awesome unit too. Way better then the MM 250 that i have to use at work.

Comment

Dan,

The transformer utilized in ths machine is pretty hefty for the dual voltage application. The DVI is easily carried by 2 people and really does not feel like 165 lbs. Remember Miller has really packed the 135 and 175 with a better arc into one machine. 165 lbs is a small trade off.

I've seen the teams buzzing like bees in the garage at the track putting on last minute touches and pushing through inspection station by station while others are glueing lug nuts and staging tires. However, when things are unloaded everybody chips in and it's done. It would be really easy for 2 guys to drop the DVI in the lot then one could roll it where ever. (Most of the teams and trailers have ramps anyway). I mean most race teams welders have more hours on the wheels and cart than the welding unit. Before I get yelled at: Yes, most of the welders have seen considerable use, but some of the machines really get moved a lot: the chassis shop, rooms where the skins are installed, jig tables, etc. Don't forget from trailer to garage at the track and back again at the shop.

Comment

A better choice?

Dan,

Let me address the M-10 gun issue. I tried and even pushed a little on this one and... ...well I lost. I am not sure where the final decison was made, but... Yes the M-15 gun is a better choice in my opinion. However, practically speaking the M-10 gun is a nice fit because it is ergonomic, light weight, easy to manuever in tight spots, and really VERY FAMILIAR TO THE BEGINNING OR HOBBY WELDING OPERATOR THAT HAS PROBABLY ALREADY USED THE SMALLER M-10 STYLE GUN.

Think of it like this: When you learned to mig the smaller guns were easier to use than the big 400 and 500 amp guns. How disappointed would a new hobbyist be with a new machine he/she can use and grow with to find out the gun is large and unfamiliar?

I WILL SAY THE M-10 HAS WITHSTOOD THE RIGOROUS TESTING OF .030" WIRE, 92% AR /8% CO2 SPRAY ARC ON 5 MINUTE RUNS WIDE OPEN ON 220 VAC. I have totally ignored the manual and well exceeded the duty cycle. THE GUN WILL SUPPORT THE MACHINE AT ITS RATED DUTY CYCLE AND CONSIDERABLY MORE.

Comment

Hawk
                              Could the DVI ever be upgraded by the purchaser/ end user with the M-15 gun? How about a spool gun, or does it need the SGA 100 and spool gun? I can see a niche for this machine very easily. I was thinking along the same lines as KLSM54. Why get one and then another later when one would do the same thing, esp if you have limited space.
                              Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                              '06 12RC feeder
                              Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                              Esab Multimaster 260
                              Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Working...
                              X