What you think of this weld?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What you think of this weld?

Ok this is 3/4" aluminum pipe sch40 just over .125 wall I think.
    So here is what is in the works me and my wife have horses and there are not a lot of nice saddle racks aviable that worth a darn. So I am in the development phase you could say.

Anyway here is one joint of the base its welded with a dynasty 300dx set about 125A balance about 60 250hz. Tell me what you all think

Gary
    Attached Files
    Dry Creek Welding
    Dynasty 300DX Tigrunner
    Trailblazer 302
    Spectrum 2050
    suitcase 12RC

I am sure that some guys here will give you some excellent feedback on this. I will not as I am still learning.

What I do notice is that the area not welded is not shiney clean. Did you clean this before you welded?

I have found that scotch brite pads followed by acetone swab down makes the welding easier and will help produce a better weld.

Just my 2 cents worth!

Happy welding!

Comment

looks clean ,looks good ,and sounds like you have solved the problem of no good saddle holders out there.
      the weld looks clean to me no discoloration.
      maby a little more heat.
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

GaryM,

Looks good. It is hard to tell everything from a picture due to lighting effects, computer screens, etc. I think you are on the cold side, as fun4now mentioned, and adding too much filler at a time. Maybe if you get it hotter, then the same amount of filler will spread out and the weld toes will wash better.

If you are cleaning the material and filler well, as Steved said, then perhaps a different filler will clean up the dark spots and overall apperance. I don't see a reason to drop the EN balance to 60 on this joint. I'd start at 68 and push for 70-75. This will give you more penetration and less cleaning. If the bead starts getting prickly, then you have the balance too high. Try this before changing filler rods. Check the AWS recommended filler chart for your tube alloy, more than likely 6061 series, and see what filler will give you the best color match versus strength and ductility.

I think with just a few settings like cranking up your balance and increasing the amperage you will be dialed in and cranking out premium welds! Why the 250HZ? Are you using an argon/helium mix that is spreading the arc cone? I think 150HZ will make a really nice tight arc for this type joint with 100% argon. If none of this cleans up and washes the weld like it should, there are some other paths to take, but see what happens.

I hope you don't take this as a critical opinion of your weld and or skill level. I think overall it looks very good! These are just some things to try to get the machine, material, and filler all in sync. Good job.

Comment

Thanks Guys

I am still learning this new welder since it welds 100X better then i do.

HAWK never worry about what you say to me cause you have a lot more time welding then me, So I like to try anything someone tells me.the reason they are not shinny is i wire brushed after casue the whole thing is brushed.

The only filler i have the is 1/16 is 5356 and i think the cross ref for it will eather be 4043 or 5356 i do have some 3/32 4043. Seems like the 1/16 rod worked better. I will try moving my balance up a little and lowering my Hz and see what that does for the weld.

Also do you think that i should use 1/16 tungsten?

Gary
          Dry Creek Welding
          Dynasty 300DX Tigrunner
          Trailblazer 302
          Spectrum 2050
          suitcase 12RC

Comment

Here is what the saddle rack looks like.

Gary
            Attached Files
            Dry Creek Welding
            Dynasty 300DX Tigrunner
            Trailblazer 302
            Spectrum 2050
            suitcase 12RC

Comment

GaryM,

Nice rack! I have not seen anything mass produced that comes close. Stay with 3/32" tungsten. I don't push 1/16" tungsten passed 85 amps on the top end. I am surpprised the 3/32" rod did not do better for your. Maybe the balance and amperage settings. On aluminum I try to run roughly the equivalent size filler or one diameter smaller than my wall or plate thickness. Therefore, I would run 1/8" or maybe 3/32" filler on these joints.

Comment

sweet rack

looks real nice.
                also looks like that tig is paying for its self.
                man is it great to have a welder in the shop or what.
                thanks for the help
                ......or..........
                hope i helped
                sigpic
                feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                JAMES

Comment

Ya its nice to have a welder like this and part of the reason for trying to build some product is to help pay for it!!

I will be setting up a web site soon. also going all the way and getting a business lisense.

Gary
                  Dry Creek Welding
                  Dynasty 300DX Tigrunner
                  Trailblazer 302
                  Spectrum 2050
                  suitcase 12RC

Comment

Working...
                  X