What size air compressor to use with 625 plasma cutter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ken
    • Jul 2004

What size air compressor to use with 625 plasma cutter?

I'm looking at a 7hp 60 gallon oil-lubed pump model for shop use. I don't recall the PSI and air quantity off the top of my head.

Would the Spectrum 625 work well with something like this? If not, what are the specs. of a compressor I should be looking at?

Thanks!
  • ASKANDY
    Super Moderator
    • Sep 2002

Ken,
    That unit should easily run the 625. If you are looking to run all day or for extended periods, get a dryer or filter like the motorguard or even an air dryer like the one below.

Andy

Harbor Freight buys their top quality tools from the same factories that supply our competitors. We cut out the middleman and pass the savings to you!

Comment

• hankj
      • Aug 2006

All that puppy needs is 6 SCFM @ 70PSI. My 30-gallon 5 horse can do that. All I need's the 625!!

Be well.

hank
      ...from the Gadget Garage
      Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
      Handler 210 w/DP3035
      TA185TSW
      Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

• timw
        • Mar 2004

I have the Spectrum 625 and I love it!! I haven't used my O/A torch for cutting since I got it in January. I have a 5hp 2 stage compressor with a 30 gal tank. My shop is plumbed with 1/2 pipe. I have about a 50' run to where I use my machine so water is not a problem for me.
        My favorite tip is to use a 2 X 4 for a straight edge when drag cutting. The plasma cuts so fast the wood dosen't burn and the torch guides very well on the side of the 2 X 4.

Comment

• JOHN1
          • Jul 2007

Air Line

What is the best type of airline to run, steel, pvc???

John

Comment

• timw
            • Mar 2004

The best air line to run would be steel but you can get by with thick wall PVC. A friend had a bunch of copper tubing and ran that in his shop but that could be expensive. I have a 2000 sq ft shop and I ran steel overhead with drops to work areas. I ran some of the drop lines in PVC and it is working OK. I am running 120-175 psi. I will warn you that if it fails PVC can be dangerous. One problem would be PVC too close to the compressor, the heat could cause a failure. If you run air lines in a building you need a flexable joint from the compressor to the piping to keep from getting a vibration leak. You want to put in stand pipes with drains as often as possible, water will condense in the air line and stand pipes will give it a place to collect.

Comment

• Sberry
              • Sep 2005

PVC isnt legal for air use, certainly wouldnt make OSHA. I do use it,, underground or under slab, places it cant get damaged. Underslab I like, no rust worries.

Comment

• Glenn B
                • Apr 2006

In my old garage I used scedule 40 pvc. Had no problems with it. But I have a buddy did same thing with PVC bumped it too hard with something and it shattered. PVC chunks all over. In My new garage I'm going to run copper. It costs a little more but is a whole lot easier to install. No cutting than threading pipe for every joint. In copper you fit it all together then just solder it up no waiting 24 hours to use it either. Give it 10 min to cool off it's a done deal. Its will be a lot safer it will bend & dent before shattering.
                Dynasty 200DX With TEC Superflex 9 & 17 Torches,
                Hypertherm 30A Plasma
                Rincoln SP130T Mig

Comment

• JOHN1
                  • Jul 2007

Do u mean just regular copper tubing and if so what size. I have an 80 gallon two stage 5 hp.

What kind of pressure can you run?

Thanks
                  John

Comment

• Glenn B
                    • Apr 2006

You use the type rated for A/C systems. I think it is type L? It is good for about 3-400 psi. My compressor puts out 125 psi. I'll ask the plumbing supply store what type we need. I will use 3/4 " diameter it moves more air, less pressure drop. When I find out what type I'll post it.
                    Dynasty 200DX With TEC Superflex 9 & 17 Torches,
                    Hypertherm 30A Plasma
                    Rincoln SP130T Mig

Comment

• hankj
                      • Aug 2006

You don't want tube. Use pipe. Types: M, (Red band) (thin-wall) - household plumbing; L (Blue band) (medium-wall) - commercial; K (Green band) (thick-wall) - buried systems; DWV (Yellow band) - Drain, Waste, Vent.

I'd use either L or K. K is better if there is a lot of vibration, etc. Don't use the yellow stuff.

A nice thing about piped systems is that the pipe becomes an additional air reservior. It increases the system storage capacity.

Be well.

hank
                      Handler 210 w/DP3035
                      TA185TSW

Comment

• JOHN1
                        • Jul 2007

Thanks ALL

I was going the PVC route but will go the copper for sure.

Do u use and solder the standard copper fittings??
                        John

Comment

• hankj
                          • Aug 2006

You betcha. Just like real plumbing, except fot the smell!

Hank
                          Handler 210 w/DP3035
                          TA185TSW

Comment

Working...
                          X