Correct Wire Guage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct Wire Guage

I want to learn to weld so I purchased a MM175. Now I need to connect it to house power. The distance from the fuse box to the outlet is 80 feet. What guage wire would be best to use in order to minimize line loss and not affect the welder's performance. The owner's manual calls for a [email protected] circuit breaker, should I use a [email protected] breaker because of the distance from the fuse box? Also, I'd like to get a MM375 plasma cutter and possibly upgrade to a MM210 in the future so I'd like to use a wire guage that would support those future possibilities. Thanks for any advice.

Rickj:
    Welcome aboard, I have several cords for my machine which is a mm210 on a 30 amp circuit. The short cord for the shop is a 10ga the 40' street reach is 8ga and my 100' is 4ga. For your machine at 100' you should have 10ga. A 10ga line will cover more than your machine needs even at that distance!

Peace,

Ps: use the recomended breaker!

Comment

We have had quite a discussion on breakers and checked with the Hobart/Miller people, it is aceptable to run these machines on larger nreakers than it specs in the manual as they have their own on board thermal protection. I would use a 30 on a 10 wire, for now with that machine you could use a 20 if you like,, either way. The distance has nothing to do with the breaker, its the wire size. The 210 is allowed to use 10 at that distance,, and remember, the ratings are for wide open, most home use doesnt get run up to the full potential. If I really wanted to be done with it and be able to run anything on it I might be tempted to run an 8.hahahaha, I am going to throw another But in here, If I had a plasma I would run another wire for it, plugging and unplugging gets old.

Comment

Rickj,

Are you running a new circuit or planning to use existing wiring? You don't say which. If it's new, the guys have given you the right advice, but if it's existing, make sure to verify the wire size (guage) before changing any breakers.

Be well.

hank
        ...from the Gadget Garage
        Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
        Handler 210 w/DP3035
        TA185TSW
        Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

Thanks Hank- keep us on the up and up. Just cna't remember it all. That is why I love the forum others think of the pitfalls your forgetting, thanks again.

Peace,

Comment

Correct Wire Gauge

I want to thank everyone who reponded to my original question for their advice. This will be a new circuit and I'm leaning on going with 8ga wire. Question - should I be using wire that has three leads plus a ground or two leads plus a ground, for example 8ga/2 or 8ga/3? This will be a single phase hook up and I want to be able to use this curcuit for a MM210 and/or spectrum 375 in the future. I intend to run the wire from the circuit box to the plug but will have a certified electrician do the hookup at both ends.

For pjseaman - You mention that you have several cords for your MM210. The short cord for the shop is a 10ga the 40' street reach is 8ga and the 100' is 4ga. Are these extension cords that you have made that you plug into the wall socket and welder factory installed power cord or do you hard wire these cables, based on use, into the welder in lieu of the factory installed power cord? Thanks All.

Comment

He is talking about extension cords. With 8 ga you can plug almost any machine you would ever use at home into it. 10 ga will run a 210 and a 375 also. And it is PLENTY for a 175 and the 375 cutter. You want a 10/2 with ground or a 8/2 with ground. A welder uses 2 power conductors and a ground wire.

Comment

Rickj:
                Sberry is dead on. My cords have ends on them and their are just extension cords. Not hard wired. For the record the cords were free so I just bought the ends.

Glad to help!

Comment

Working...
                X