Machine Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding the coding of machines:

Burglars don't care about coding when they are trying to get the next fix. No offense Steve, but a doper will steal "anything".

Also keep in mind, many of burglaries/thefts are from someone you know or your friends know, especially if you have a private shop.

BIG DOG, BIG DOG, ANY DOG, GUN
    John

"BEWARE OF BAD DOG", I would take heed , wouldn't you.

Comment

Agreed that it does not solve all of the problems. However when people steal things from places like jobsites they usually know what they are after.

If word gets around that the Miller machines cannot be used/resold without the proper code then eventually the number of items stolen will be reduced.

It is not a perfect solution but it is an improvement. For example, car alarms do not stop all of the thefts but they greatly reduce them, same with house alarms etc.

What do they say....locking it just keeps the honest man honest, if someone really wants to steal it, they will.

Comment

Looks like I'm not the first one to think about this! Actually I've got the dog and guns part covered but the camera sounds good as well. Seems like sometimes I can't even wake up the dogs! I don't live in a bad area but it's the friend of a friend that worries me. I just thought that this might be a topic to look at some new ideas on. One of my farmer friends taught me a good one a long time ago: Keep a garage gun for some one in the house and a house gun for some one in the shop...no surprises when you need one that way if you have univited guests when you come home. Keep Safe, JEFF
        200DX 350P 625 Plasma & other stuff I forgot

Comment

Like the man says!!

It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it!

John

Comment

A simpler approach to the security code could be to require a code on first power-up. As long as the power is connected, it will still work.

Also, the display should clearly say something about "security lockout" when it comes up so the potential buyer of the stolen goods will know without a doubt that the code is needed and not give the thief any money.

The downside is that weldOrs are pretty resourceful and could probably figure out a workaround...

Comment

Another idea for implementing a security code:

Any time the machine is disconnected from power, require the code be reentered. I believe some car audio equipment works this way. It takes a pretty enterprising thief to maintain power to the equipment while stealing it. But for the typical shop user who leaves the machine plugged in (maybe I'm making a bad assumption here?), there's no extra work.

This wouldn't work for mobile units; the timer idea would be better there. Of course the two could be combined, so that unplugging the machine activates the timer based protection.

Probably need a hardware change to monitor the unplugging, but nothing elaborate.

As for needing extra hardware for entering the code, it's already present on the dynasty: nice LED display, and the encoder for entering numbers.

Of course if you are willing to make hardware changes, a removable electronic ("smart") key wouldn't be too expensive. Same concept as the removeable face on your car stereo, though maybe to work it has to be obvious to the thief that something is missing where the red light is flashing. But I suspect even a small cost increase would be enough to kill a feature like this.

Comment

INTP,

Looks like we had the same idea at the same time.

I don't think resourceful weldors are the main problem here; they have other ways of aquiring welders.

Comment

My method is slightly different, All the neighbors think I am a psycho so they won't cross the line against me. I really don't like the necessity to seem evil, but it does work.

Peace,

Comment

pjs, i established that when we moved in.....some of my neghbors love me....some of the hate me.......but they all RESPECT ME !!

DAWG

Comment

Bingo

Comment

resourceful welder

a recourceful welder would have the $$ to buy a welder that wasent hot. back when i ran the show so to speek i had lots of offers for tools for my crew's that were les than on the up and up wile i may save a buck or 2 up front its not werth the truble to buy hot stuff . what if the law showed up to reclaim them then in the best case senareo i just loose a days work for me and my hole crew.that could caust me a cuple grand in wages and bonises.not to mention my rep with the builders would be shoti would not worry so much about the recourceful welder.
                        just the same i have the big gun and you all saw my guard dog ok guard dog in training.
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                        JAMES

Comment

Fun
                          If the law showed up, as you say, not only would they take the tools but you also.
                          Possession of Stolen Property in LA. gets you 10 yrs hard labor.

John

Comment

And I thought weldind was hard labor....JEFF
                            200DX 350P 625 Plasma & other stuff I forgot

Comment

best case

as i said in best case i would just lose the day i didnt bother to list werst case as i thought that was obveus. point was that most working joes dont buy stolen stuf, not werth the truble.
                              thanks for the help
                              ......or..........
                              hope i helped
                              sigpic
                              feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
                              summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                              JAMES

Comment

I live in the country and have a big dog as well. Theres only one way in and one way out and the lane passes by my bedroom window. I leave the fence lines that border the building grow to where their full of poison Ivy thorny bushes and only God knows what else, it would be one of the most miserable experiences a crook could endure to try and come through that stuff, and if-in they did, me the dog and my AR15 with a thirty rounder would be greeting them when they finally came through. Cops are only for making out paper work, I take care of my self and my property, the front end loader is always full of diesel too

Comment

Working...
                                X