Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pulser for 180sd

Hi guys,

Was just curious if there is an add-on to add a pulser to the 180sd machine.

Tony

The PC-300 is the add on option from miller I 'm not sure of the price but have been thinking of getting one for my 180sd.
    KB

Comment

Canuck and agrabda,

It is a nice addition and saw where someone mentioned selling their PC 300 because they were purchasing a Dynasty 200DX, Do a search for PC 300 and see what it turns up.

However, if you buy a new Syncro 180 and a PC 300 the cost is approaching that of the Dynasty 200DX.

Comment

Canuck and Agrabda, List price around $650 for the 300, you can only pulse up to 20 pulses per second with 180, which has never been a problem for my synchro 250 use, but as Hawk mentions, the price of a 180 and the 300 approaches the 200dx, and you get a bunch more goodies with the 200dx, a bunch more....Hope this helps, Paul
        More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys,

Thing is i allready have the 180sd. Would you say the option to pulse is worth the extra cost of the pc-300. Im fairly new to tig welding and im having a blast. Not sure if a pulser would do me much good or not to be honest. Im welding mostly aluminum nothing structural at all.

Thanks again,

Tony

Comment

just work on your DIPPING free handed and you will get good if not great results.........with out cheating

Comment

agrabda , the pulser is a good way to learn when to add fill metal, as it is coming on and off at a set rate, pulsing with your foot can make your hand move, it does to me anyway. It will make your welds look very concentric, 'stack of dimes', and for thin and out of position it will help control the puddle. I bought mine in 97 for about $310, and thought at the time and still do it was the best TIG investmet I had made. even if you have a lumpy first pass, a second pass with pulsing will give you the nice ripples every on associates with TIG. The PC 300 can be used with Inverter sources to pulse up to [I think] 200 pps. Shop around for a good price, your dealer should be able to knock off a good chunk since you are buying consumables and gas from him. BTW, One night with garage door open, residential, I was pulsing at 300 amps AC, 10 pps, 50% off time and it was as loud as a .22 cal long rifle shot, at that rate, 600 bangs per minute, it sounded like a machine gun, I only wonder what my neighbor thought as it was 11 PM????? Paul

Comment

Thanks

Thanks again guys

Comment

I've got to believe the 'bang' you are hearing as the arc quickly transitions from a low background state to the peak pulse state is much like a mini, thunder clap. The transitioning electrical discharge occurs so quickly that it violently and quickly heats the surrounding air around the arc, it expands and creates a mini shock-wave that then dissipates into normal atmospheric pressure once again. Kinda neat really. When you string a number of pulses together in a shorter period of time than it takes the wave to propogate, you end up with the whistling dentist drill sound, like you get when you crank the AC frequency way up.

-dseman

Comment

Had never thought of it that way, I always said welding was like having lightning at your control, I have used my Dynasty to pulse at 500 pps, the bead is so smooth, but under magnification, you do see the ripples. Thanks, Paul

Comment

Working...
                    X