Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tungsten Diameters

Hi,

Is their any advantage of using a larger diameter tungsten? I know a 1/16 tungsten is rated for a certain amps (say 100), while a 3/32 tungsten is rated for (say 180) I don't know the exact numbers. If I were to weld a piece of mild steel tubing, at 75 amps and both tungsten were sharpened to a pencil like point, would their be an advantage of using the larger tungsten. I guess the larger tungsten would stay cooler.I have had good luck using a 1/16 tungsten on my projects, welding 1 5/8 .134 wall mild steel tubing and 1" mild steel tubing. I seem to stay with the smaller tungsten on my steel projects and 3/32 on my aluminum projects. Any thoughts? Thanks Anthony

AJM,

I use the smallest tunsgten I can as long as it does not start melting off too quickly. If 1/16" is working fine at 100 amps, then stay with it. Your amperage ranges are coorect for some machines, but the 3/32" can go much higher on the Dynasty depending on its alloy content.

Comment

AJM,

The biggest advantage of the 3/32" tungsten is it covers a broad amperage range. However, the smaller tungsten will do a beter job if you can use it.

Comment

Working...
      X