Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

inverter mig?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • inverter mig?

    Anyone know if there's an inverter version of something like the mm210 or mm251 in the works? As a new dynasty owner, and stuck with an undersized and underpowered shop, I'm a big fan of the size/weight of inverters.

    I hear a lot of complaining about the higher cost of the inverters, but when I figured the total cost including upgrading my shop (or more accurately, I should say my garage) to accomodate a bigger more power hungry machine, the dynasty looked like a pretty good deal. And if I have to move any time soon, that savings will likely be multiplied.

  • #2
    power

    what are you powering your dynasty on? 110, 220? and what size breaker? just cureus to see if my shop could hang or if i will need to look into more power?
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped
    sigpic
    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: power

      Originally posted by fun4now
      what are you powering your dynasty on? 110, 220? and what size breaker? just cureus to see if my shop could hang or if i will need to look into more power?
      I've got it on a 30A 230V circuit. That's pretty much my limit without spending a few thousand to upgrade the service to the house. Plenty for the dynasty200, but wouldn't get a synchrowave250 very far.

      While you can run it off 115V, the recommended fuse rating is 35A, and the max output you'll get is still lower than running off 230V. For occaisonal use when 115V 20A is all you can get, at least you can run it at low power; better than rubbing sticks together. But I wouldn't want to set it up that way for regular use.

      Comment


      • #4
        There are a few inverter migs. The MM350 is an inverter. Look for some smaller inverter migs soon too.

        A-

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ASKANDY
          There are a few inverter migs. The MM350 is an inverter. Look for some smaller inverter migs soon too.

          A-
          I guess the mm350 didn't make it into the 2004 catalog. But that's what I was looking for, only bigger

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Hobbyist
            I guess the mm350 didn't make it into the 2004 catalog. But that's what I was looking for, only bigger
            The Millermatic 350 is about as big as you are going to get on single phase power. Even at that, it will draw 61 amps for 300 amps output on 230V single phase input. The XMT 350 is about as stingy as it gets when it comes to low input draw, but on single phase 230 power, it will draw 54.6 amps when putting out 300 amps. These inverters are great strides as to what was available to single phase shops a few years ago, but there is still a limit as to what can be drawn out of 230 single phase power. If you need bigger than the XMT 350 or MM350 puts out, you need more than bigger circuits,you are going to need 3 phase input power.

            Comment


            • #7
              klsm54,

              I guess my comment was ambiguous. What I meant was I was looking for a smaller machine.

              Comment


              • #8
                Hobbyist,

                The ALT304, discontinued but may still be a few around, is a very nice 70 pound unit capable of 400 amps maximum output with 300 amps at 60% duty cycle on three phase power. But wait, it will still provide the same 300 amps on single phase power at about 35% duty cycle. The catalog lists 225 amps at 60% on single phase and that is misleading.

                The XMT 304 is a current production unit very similar to the ALT. The main differences being the V/A curve on the ALT will go a bit lower in the 20 amp range and the XMT is closer to 50 amps on the bottom end. Also the ALT is "auto line" circuitry like the Dynasty. The XMT is "auto link" and will draw no more than 50-60 amps on 1 phase- less than that at 225 amps.

                I set up an XMT with an 8RC wire feeder, for a client, yesterday evening on a 1 phase 40 amp outlet and it rocks at 350 amps with .035" wire. A larger wire would have pushed it to the 400 amps mark! These are multi-process machines that will MIG both voltage sense and true CV, STICK, and "lift arc" tig out of the box with only some cable, ground clamp/stinger, wire feeder, and tig torch set up!

                Comment


                • #9
                  My wallet is still smarting from my recent dynasty purchase, so I won't be buying a MIG right away. But when I get around to it, it will probably be something along the lines of the mm210. Since Andy suggests there could be an inverter machine in that size range in the near future, I'll be taking a look at that when it becomes available. While the mm210 has a loyal following, and I have no doubt it's a great machine, I suspect I won't be the only one looking at an inverter based alternative when it's available.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Hobbyist:
                    I have used an inverter mig {invision 345mp w/22a feeder},there are some cool features but the price is still to high for this ol boy. If money weren't an issue I would own an invision. I think you will like the mm210 when you get there, I had mine for 1-1/2 years and love it.

                    Peace,

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Hobbyist
                      My wallet is still smarting from my recent dynasty purchase, so I won't be buying a MIG right away. But when I get around to it, it will probably be something along the lines of the mm210. Since Andy suggests there could be an inverter machine in that size range in the near future, I'll be taking a look at that when it becomes available. While the mm210 has a loyal following, and I have no doubt it's a great machine, I suspect I won't be the only one looking at an inverter based alternative when it's available.
                      Hobbyist,

                      Hang loose and be patient. "It" is oh so sweet! I

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The Miller catalog says that on a 230v circut the MM210 only draws 27 amps at rated output and I have heard that people have run it off of a 30amp breaker without trouble. Try posting this on the hobart site.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Hobbyist,

                          If I were you, then I would wait and see. You will be pleasantly surprised and ultimately happier than if you purchase now. Hint...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by HAWK
                            Hobbyist,

                            If I were you, then I would wait and see. You will be pleasantly surprised and ultimately happier than if you purchase now. Hint...
                            Patiently standing by...

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I guess i lucked out in my shop/garage, when i purchased the house the orginal owner and all the wiring done, and for the garage i have a 100 amp breaker 220v with 3 phase and single phase, so i guess i lucked out pretty well. So i just plug on in and have it.

                              BC
                              BC

                              Dynasty 200DX
                              Coolmate 3
                              MM210 w/3035 spoolgun
                              Cutmaster 101
                              LC1230 12" Metal Cutting Saw

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X