how is a 5F GMAW Pipe to Plate certification inspected
    for pass/fail?

is it x-rayed?

is it etched?

how do they inspect for cold welds?
    "The best way to change someone's mind is with a rock"

ASA member since Aug 2001
    American Sand Assoc.

I think they would probably use destructive test to check the weld on this one. Most likely cut a piece out, polish it and test for sidewall fusion, root penetration, porosity and underbead cracking. I'm only going off what we do here in Australia when it comes to testing our assessment pieces.
    Andy249
    "Its the way it spatters that matters!"

Comment

Australia Andy is probably right, Here, for F plate test, they just have you use 1/2" plate and put in at least 5/16" fillet on one side, then they put in a press and break whole 8" piece, no cutting needed, if they see penetration the whole length and no porosity/inclusions you are good for D1:1 unlimited thickness fillets. Paul
      More Spark Today Pleasesigpic

Comment

thanks for the responses ... but this is Pipe to Plate ....

American Sand Assoc.

Comment

D1.1 calls for macroetch only.

JTMcC.
          Some days you eat the bear. And some days the bear eats you.

Comment

Originally posted by JTMcC
            D1.1 calls for macroetch only.

JTMcC.
            Can this detect COLD WELDS ?

American Sand Assoc.

Comment

What is your definition of a cold weld Frog? A visual inspection of the weld piece will often give a few clues in this direction. Poor sidewall fusion can be a symptom of a cold weld as can lack of root penetration, although, lack of root penetration can also be thanks to too lower travel speed.
              Andy249

Comment

Originally posted by Andy249
                What is your definition of a cold weld Frog? A visual inspection of the weld piece will often give a few clues in this direction. Poor sidewall fusion can be a symptom of a cold weld as can lack of root penetration, although, lack of root penetration can also be thanks to too lower travel speed.
                That is all the info I received. The cert failed for cold weld ....
                nothing else ... I ran 20 + certs and our Instructor helped choose the best one .... It "looked" sound. Full penetration, nice heat patch on the back side of the plate, nice weld wash up on the pipe, nice bead thickness .... just can't understand "cold weld" ....

I would yhink the only way to really tell is by x-ray, but I was informed that there wasn't an x-ray done???? so how could the inspector tell w/o x-ray?

American Sand Assoc.

Comment

FrOg,

Maybe referring to cold lap where when the bead was continued there was insufficient penetration at the intitiation point of the tie in. Sometimes this can be detected visually. Can you talk with the CWI who tested the coupon?

Comment

Good point Hawk.

If that seemed OK then it may have failed sidewall fusion. I've seen welds that look ok on the outside but have little to no sidewall fusion. I don't believe you would need to X-Ray to see this, just cutting a cross section of the weld, polishing it and etching it would show if the weld penetrated beyond the zone of the weld prep.

As Hawk said though, anyway of talking to whoever tested the piece? It would be really frustrating to receive back such a generic comment!!!
                    Andy249

Comment

frustrating is the word .... can't fix what I don't know is wrong ...

American Sand Assoc.

Comment

Originally posted by HAWK
                        FrOg,

Maybe referring to cold lap where when the bead was continued there was insufficient penetration at the intitiation point of the tie in. Sometimes this can be detected visually. Can you talk with the CWI who tested the coupon?

What makes you think a CWI tested the coupon?

JTMcC.

Comment

well I hope he did, all of our certs are for structural steel applications, and they have to be done through an AWS CERTIFIED WELDING INSPECTOR ... the union halls here in AZ are pretty **** about this .... I'm just frustrated now .... he cannot provide proof of the inspection .... just the initial results ... I was told the CWI does not "save" the specimens sent in for Inspection ... so now I just have to pay another $125.00 to try to re-cert .... hopefully with a better explanation if it fails next time ... or it's another $125.00 ... and the whole thing starts over and over and over again ... ugh ....

American Sand Assoc.

Comment

AWS welding qualifications don't have to be done by a CWI. Neither do API or ASME.
                            They often are, but just as often aren't.

JTMcC.

Comment

great ... more junk .... so you are saying that possibly
                              the person who is "Certifying" me is not certified himself
                              through one of the majors ? ... great .... more ?'s

American Sand Assoc.

Comment

Working...
                              X