X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• busytim
    replied
    tariffs

Tariffs cannot be self imposed. The WTO sued and won against the US. The Tariffs have been down for a year or so. The price of steel(still?) has not come down. The price has risen due to an economic upturn in the US and the rebuilding of Iraq. The price would come down,maybe, with the building of a new mill or two. That will not happen in the US, due to political considerations.

Leave a comment:

• BCarlucci
    replied
    I've read quite a few articles so far and they basically all say the same thing, that the major suppliers of scrap steel are the U.S. Some countries i can't remember in South America and Russia and the Eastern European Countries. Now from these articles people say that Other then the U.S. these other countries have a restriction as to how much still they can export, pleaes note this is not a tarrif, they're just putting restrictions on their steel, so in short, if these countries using up steel like it's a box of frosted flakes, can't get it from south america or russia then they're going to get it from the US. Even though this sucks, you know these steel brokers or whoever is selling steel overseas is making a small fortune.

BC

Leave a comment:

• tackit
    replied
    The health and future of our economy shouldn't rest in the hands of jealous foreign free trade courts and Judges like it is now. American companies have been losing in stacked against us free trade courts ever since we been part of it. If anyone is to blame for fluctuating prices it's the commodity brokers that exaggerate rumors and lies just to raise prices.

Hey they have to pay for those Porches,Jaguars and million dollar summer cottages some how, might as well be on your dime.

Leave a comment:

• busytim
    replied
    steel prices

My understanding of the new high steel prices is this. Pres. Bush, at the behest of union labor and the major steel companies, put a tariff on non-U.S. steel. This was supposed to protect US steel companies that had not modernized. The companies used that protection to raise prices, and to try to stay in the market. From my parochial view it sent the prices higher, and I'll bet, the unions asked for more money. After the tariff, 19 terrorists destroyed the WTC. I think the tariff has been abolished, but demand for steel is on the upswing. I also hear that Iraq is a hot spot for steel.

Leave a comment:

• Manny
    replied
    Definiatly going to vote Walker, for the good and decent man who no holds the office. Huge relief after the previous occupant.
    Manny

Leave a comment:

• gangel99
    replied
    Originally posted by GWB
    They are high in the SF bay area.
    Called for a quote on 24" X 6' .062 40plus dollars
    15.00 was a cutting charge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please Mr. NAYLOR!!!!!!!!!
    Oh sorry, just a home shop guy
    Hey, Naylor is an OK guy & runs a nice shop with good service. A little out of my way but I go there anyway rather than Alco or S. Bay Metals.

Leave a comment:

• walker
    replied
    Just remember that steel/gas/soy prices have skyrocketed in the last presidential term only. Prior to that there had been normal market ups and downs, but not huge inflationary jumps. I guess what I am trying to say is remember these price increases when you VOTE! You are going to vote right???

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    John1:
    Aluminum 21' of 1-1/4 square I paid $32 for in January is now $41.50 increase of 1/3 in six monthes. They told me it has leveled off and will probably drop some in 2-6 monthes. I expect by the time I need another 400 feet it will be around $36 which I can live with. 10% cost increase is sort of expected after it stayed so level for 10 years only fluctuating 25-50 cents per stick.

If the prices recover from the stratosphere we will see a tremendous boom in growth nation wide.

Leave a comment:

• glockdoc
    replied
    Seems to be two things driving prices these days. The worthless dollar and a hot Chinese economy. Apparently, because of the exchange rate, foreigners are buying our domestic metals. What we think is an outragous price is just pocket change to them. Seems now the Chinese may have a problem with too much growth too fast. If they do go bust prices may come back down. Check out the prices of corn and soybeans over the last year or two. Same kind of thing. Anyone else following the price of ½"CDX plywood? At one time, a few months back, it had more than doubled from a year ago but has since come down a little. Sure sounds like inflation is on its way back.

Leave a comment:

• JOHN1
    replied
    Are aluminum prices doing what the steel prices are doing??

Leave a comment:

• GWB
    replied
    They are high in the SF bay area.
    Called for a quote on 24" X 6' .062 40plus dollars
    15.00 was a cutting charge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please Mr. NAYLOR!!!!!!!!!
    Oh sorry, just a home shop guy

Leave a comment:

• hankj
    replied
    All I know is that a full sheet of 1/4" plate in Northern Califirnia is going for $208.30

For me, that put my latest project on hold indefinitelty!!

Be well.

hank

Leave a comment:

• nnn0rau
    replied
    steel prices

This is my first post on this forum... please excuse the cumbersome reply.
    It is my understanding that due to China trying to upgrade their tourist infrastructure for the upcomming 2008 Olympics, that they are not releasing their low-cost steel unless prior long-term arangements have been made. It is also my understanding that they are also purchasing most of our scrap steel further adding to the shortage & therefore demand. The US Mills are now at capacity and are having issues keeping up with demand. Steel surcharges are now quite common. If what I am being led to believe is true, i do not anticipate any serious reductions in cost anytime soon.
    Russ

Leave a comment:

• aametalmaster
    replied
    I think they are coming down like gasoline a penny at a time. But that's another story. They prob want to make all the money for stuff sitting on the shelf for years. Shop around...Bob

Leave a comment:

• klsm54
    replied
    The filler metal manufacturers claim, that while some steel product pricing has leveled off, there is still an upward trend in the "Green Rod" used to make filler metals, thus the prices on rod and wire continue to skyrocket. The increases on wire that are hitting now for July are as much as $0.065 per pound on some mild steel wires.

Other steel products (plate, piping etc.) seem to have leveled off, some, in some areas. But most of the people I talk to don't expect any significant reductions in the near future.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X