TIG vs STICK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIG vs STICK

I work at a shop where we do stainless steel fabrication. Usually 14 to 11 gauge material. We use TIG welding, but when we do 7 gauge or 1/4 inch material, the boss wants us to stick weld it because he says stick welding is stronger than TIG, a few of us think that he is wrong, and by using lots of heat and thick filler rod, TIG is just as strong as stick. Who is right, and who is wrong?

Welcome justweldit.

It would depend on the application but... as a rule, TIG is a beter more complete fusion if done right. Stick is faster and easier at those higher amperages and can also have it's faults if done wrong as well. It's easier to tie in toes and control travel speed with TIG and for multi-pass work, TIG can usually be done right away without chipping and grinding between passes.

Hope this helps.

Andy

Comment

TIG-it

Thanx for your reply Andy. When welding 3/16 or 1/4 stainless, I crank the Miller XM300 up to 175 amps, use a 2.4 millimeter filling rod and just go for it. I think overall the TIG is faster due to no splatter or slag cleanup.

Comment

JUSTWELDIT,

I tig a lot steel and aluminum thicker than 1/4". I run up to .750" on mild steel and 1.00" on al.

Comment

Working...
        X