Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• klsm54
    replied
    Welcome to a fellow Pennsylvanian dcsound.. I too would reccomend the Millermatic 210 for your applications. You mention trucks and a trailer, that means that the potential is there for some heavier welding, something the 210 will handle very well. Also you mention aluminum. The easy, plug-in, spoolgun capability of the 210 will be a great help in achieving that end. The added arc voltage of the 210 over smaller machines will be a big help in aluminum welding also. Keep in mind when making your decision, you can turn a bigger machine down to handle the thin stuff, but once you reach the top end on a smaller machine you are done. You mention some items that you want to weld that are of a critical nature, welds that have someone's safety involved. For that you never want to be lacking for enough machine.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    choper

most of the copper work is don with the mig .the thin stuff like the tank and fenders are tig . if you start with a mig if you can aford it go with the 210 if you intend to get into alunimum as said it is set up to take the spoolgun the comtroler fo the spoolgun runs around $400-500.00 so if you can spend that upfront on the 210 go 4 it. on big they use bolth when you see her welding and she is using a torch and adding wire thats a tig if she just points the thing and shoots thats mig i believe that the lady on big is the only 1 that uses the tig the guy's all use the mig no real skill needed. keep in mind you will go from stick to mig no problem tig on the otherhand takes a lot of skill and is much harder to lern (self teaching wont do it at your stage you will need help to lern) im shoure that if you have stick welded you will get mig easy.if you have no real need or want for aluminum then the 175 will be fine.you can spend $700.00-800.00 to get a spoolgun or gust run aluminum through your gun that comes with it although if doing lots of aluminum you will want the spoolgun as it can be a pain to run aluminum wire through the normal gun
    good luck and happy welding

Leave a comment:

• BCarlucci
    replied
    It's great to hear that your intersted in a new miller mig welder. Coming from a distributor/user. And from what your saying a millermatic 175 does sound it could fit your needs. Personally i would recommend the millermatic 210, it's the same 208/220v and it has a better duty cycle then the mm175, also it has the pin set up for the option of the spoolmate 3035, for purchase later down the road, where as the 175 you have purchase a control box to use the spoolmate 3035. This is just a sugguestion but the mm210 would be worth looking into for your needs. Good luck in your search.

BC

Leave a comment:

• dcsound
    replied
    General purpose light to medium duty use, such as sheet metal on my trucks and trailer, repair of stage lighting truss, including aluminum, steel brackets for rigging, and other related items that I'm tired of sending out to have welded. I spoke with a certified welder/fabricator who I have worked with, and he recommended a Miller Mig. I was thinking about a Millermatic 175. I do have some stick welding experience on an ancient Lincoln that belonged to my grandfather, however this machine is no longer safe to use and draws so much power even when properly supplied that it make the lights in the whole neighborhood go dim. I own an auto darkening helmet, gloves, and jacket, and am aware of the proper safety precautions. It is my understanding that purchasing a MIG would afford greater versatility than a stick although if this is not the case I would also consider a Thunderbolt. I referenced American Chopper and Big because some of what I need to weld with sheet metal and tubing appears very similar. Thanks for any information you are able to provide.

DC

Leave a comment:

• tackit
    replied
    I wish I could help but I can't say I have seen an episode where their machines could be accurately identified.

I believe you'll be better served If you explain to the experts here what you plan to weld before you buy any equipment, this is a great place to get advice.

Leave a comment:

• dcsound
    started a topic welders and processes seen on American Chopper

welders and processes seen on American Chopper

I am thinking about purchasing a Miller MIG for general purpose use and was curious as to the specific welders and processes seen on American Chopper and Big.
Working...
X