Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justin00Stang
    replied
    I didn't read the other posts but I will just add this.

It took me a little while to realize that I had to clean the rods and work really well with an acetone soaked paper towel. After that the welds came out very nice and consistent.

Acetone is the only way to clean rods in my experience, and it also works very well on already 'clean' work.

Leave a comment:

• myhemi
    replied
    Alumium/ Miller Road Show

WELL-Well-Well, I had thought the same things that you had discussed also. i have Dynasty 200DX, when i just got i started practicing witht all the settings on steel, AL, copper, etc. the Al kicked my butt.......... it really pissed me off i tried checking and re checking every little thing, just couldn't get it right???? Luckily the Miller Road Show can into town in April!!!!!!!!! So i grabbed my test pieces, wrote down my settings and was the first one to show that morning.. we finally determined that i got bad base material, and i should be filling with 5300 filler... i didn't take the time to think of it with AL, but it made sense.. i have gotten alot carbon steel that has been bad.. Thanks to the Miller Road Show, really enjoyed the hands on experience, knowledge, and support that was given!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• klsm54
    replied
    I hate to be the guy with bad news, but changing the bottle may not have solved the gas problem, if indeed there was one.

Yes, you could get one bottle of bad gas, somehow contaminated, but there is also a very good chance, that if one bottle was contaminated when it was filled, that all the bottles on that bank of cylinders are also contaminated. So, you very well could get the second bottle that was filled from same bank of cylinders.

It is also possible that the fill plant has a problem that is contaminating all their argon bottles. I know, because it happened to me. We had a relief valve that was letting ambient air into the manifold when we would fill cylinders. It was a real headscratcher until we found it. It was only letting in a very small amount of air,and it did not affect mig welds, with mix or straight argon. It only showed up on tig welding, and then only on....are you ready...aluminum!

So, there is a chance, even though it may be small, that your problem is gas related, the tungsten discoloration , like Andy said, makes me at least consider that as a possibility.

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    ANDY,

Good point. I recently had a torch with the gas hose fitting loose inside the handle. I tightened it up and it fixed the problem. THe gas flow out the torch nozzle was insufficient.

Leave a comment:

• bill71762
    replied
    I've changed argon bottles and I've also tried 3 different torches,
    I've also changed my regulators it has really had me scratching my head, but thhanks for the help
    Bill

Leave a comment:

• ASKANDY
    replied
    It still sounds like some sort of gas problem with the tungsten discoloring and a black area around the weld puddle.

Is your bottle near empty or can you change the bottle with a new one to check purity? Also if you have an extra torch, it may be the problem there too or even if you dress your tungten on a grinder that was used for anything else, that would cause the same problems.

Andy

Leave a comment:

• bill71762
    replied
    Hawk, I appreciate the good suggestions and I will definately try the 1100 filler rod and make absolutly sure my base metal is clean, I have been using zirconated tungsten, I've tried them all zirconated. ceriated and pure and I've found the z to be the best also, I'll give it another shot in a couple of days and keep y'all posted, once again thanks for the help.

Bill

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    bill71762,,

I have a genuine interest in your problems as I have fought them before. Please post or email and let me know what happens. I have made some other adjustments as well since I do a lot of 3003 1/4" material. I'll be glad to share. Sometimes too much information, or as my wife says TMI, can be confusing. Please keep me informed.

Thanks a bunch and the best of luck!!!

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Re: alum. tig problems

Originally posted by bill71762
    I guess I should say that diamond plate is 3003, and one of the things that I've noticed is that immediately upon striking an arc the area around where I strike the arc turns a black smutty color and there is discoloration of the tungsten, and sometimes a change in the color of the arc with some of what appears to be sparking or crackling. I've welded several of these assemblies without this problem, it just appeared on the most recent one and the only thing that has changed as far as I know is that I got a new argon cylinder, I thought that it might be contaminated so I got another one but the problem persisted.
    BILL,

I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEMS WITH 3003 FROM TIME TO TIME. THE ROUGH AND DIRTY BEADS ON 3003 MAY BE FROM POOR QUALITY "******" MATERIAL. TRY TURNING YOU BALANCE CLOSER TO 60%EN IF YOUR SYNC HAS THAT OPTION. ALSO SWITCH TO 1100 FILLER. THE 4043 IS RECOMMENDED ONLY AS A SUBSTITUTE IF 1100 IS NOT AVAILABLE. THE COLOR MATCH AND DUCTILITY WILL BE MUCH BETTER. YOU SHOULD GET BACK THE SHINE AND SLICK BEADS YOU HAVE LOST. LET ME KNOW. IF YOU HAVE CONTINUING PROBLEMS, EMAIL ME THROUGH THE FORUM OR [email protected],

YOU MAY BE ONTO THE ROOT PROBLEM WITH CHANGING THE GAS. MAKE SURE NO ONE HAS MESSED WITH YOUR FLOW SETTINGS. THE TUNGSTEN DISCOLORATION SOUNDS LIKE A GAS PROBLEM. I HAVE ALSO HAD THAT PROBLEM WHEN A GAS LENS GOES BAD. JUST GO BACK TO THE STANDARD COLLET AND BODY TO TEST THE THEORY. A BAD GROUND CAN CAUSE SIMILAR SYMPTOMS.

SOMEONE MAY HAVE MENTIONED THIS AND I MISSED IT: ZIRCONIATED TUNGSTEN IS KING ON THE SYNCROWAVE. GIVE IT A TRY SOMETIME. HIGH HEAT CAPACITY AND NO BOIL OFF-NICE CLEAN TUNGSTEN FREE WELDS!

CLOSE ATTENTION TO CLEANING OF MATERIAL AND FILLER, AS OTHERS HAVE ALREADY MENTIONED, CAN MAKE THE DIFFERENCE ON STUBBORN MATERIAL. I USE SCOTCH BRITE AND ACETONE ON THE MATERIAL AND FILLER. AN ANGLE DIE GRINDER WITH THE ROL-LOC PADS REALLY MAKES SHORT WORK OF CLEANING ALUMINUM TREAD PLATE. DON'T BEAR DOWN TOO HARD AND POLISH OFF YOUR DIAMOND TREAD.

Leave a comment:

• bail76
    replied
    Give your gas hoses a good check for a pin hole. With the gas flowing use a soapy water solution and a small brush and wipe down all the gas lines watching for bubbles as you go. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Wheels
    replied
    Bill

One of the most important things to remember about aluminum welding is to clean properly. Use nothing, such as grinding disks or wire brushes, which have come in contact with steel .
    Use ss wire brushes , scotchbrite pads and acitone or laquer thinner to clean.
    Also wipe filler rod with scotchbrite or very fine sandpaper.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• weldmedic
    replied
    Got to agree...Cleanliness is paramount

Perhaps following your cleaning try a wipe down with acetone or alcohol(caution is necessary obviously) or.. could your gloves possibily be contaminated or dirty? That can be an issue as well...
    Good luck

Leave a comment:

• bill71762
    replied
    alum. tig problems

I guess I should say that diamond plate is 3003, and one of the things that I've noticed is that immediately upon striking an arc the area around where I strike the arc turns a black smutty color and there is discoloration of the tungsten, and sometimes a change in the color of the arc with some of what appears to be sparking or crackling. I've welded several of these assemblies without this problem, it just appeared on the most recent one and the only thing that has changed as far as I know is that I got a new argon cylinder, I thought that it might be contaminated so I got another one but the problem persisted.

Leave a comment:

• fun4now
    replied
    scotchbrite youre rod

i think jeffscarstrucks hit a good point if you cleaned the plate well and you havent done aluminum in a wile i dought you forgot how but did you go get new filler or just pick up youre old stuff. scotchbriting your filler will go a long way i know people who scotch brite new filler just to be safe clean clean clean seems to be a big factor.
    good luck and happy welding

Leave a comment:

• bill71762
    replied
    tigging alum

The type of machine that I'm using is a miller syncrowave 350, and the material is 1/4" alum, diamond plate and the filler rod is 4043.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X