Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hankj
    replied
    The copper coating on electrode wire is a manufacturing addition to aid in the wire drawing process. Good part: it does help inhibit rust.

How do I know? The welding book told me so!!

Be well.

hankj

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    timw,

A roll of bare wire will go about 1 week before the top layer of wire begins to gather surface rust. The copper coating last considerably longer. I don't believe rust prevention is the primary reason for Cu coating. It seems like a rep once told me some years back, but...

Leave a comment:

• timw
    replied
    The wire I bought was ER70S-6 but it is copper coated. We have such a problem with humidity here I always spray the new roll of wire with WD-40 to protect it. I haven't found any problems from doing that. I use a roll about every 8-12 months.

Leave a comment:

• cope
    replied
    Originally posted by klsm54
    You got a good deal. There have been several surcharges added to all the large manufacturers wire. I believe with the newest surcharge that is taking efect on July 1st, Lincoln Hardwire has gone up in the vicinity of $0.20 per pound, since March 15th. The other manufacturers are all about the same.

Actually, the steel green rod and strip, used to make filler metals, is escallating faster than some other types of steel. The cost of the raw materials have risen 80% since the latter part of 2003, and there is no slow down in these increases on the horizon.

If the cost of welding wire was a consequence to me, I would stock up a little. Product availability is improving, but not near as good as it was 6 months ago, with shortages on certain products still existing.
    It can't be any worse than the electrode shortages in 1974.

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Best Way

timw,

Sounds like a good deal. I buy the 44lb spools of ER70S-6 in a bare wire (plain wire without the copper coating). I use it fast enough that is does not rust. I typically run .035 in this wire and pay about $48.00 out the door. However, this was before so many price increases. When things started escalating, I bought a few hundred pounds and sealed them in plastic. That said it is almost time to shop again. I am afraid of what I will find.

Leave a comment:

• klsm54
    replied
    You got a good deal. There have been several surcharges added to all the large manufacturers wire. I believe with the newest surcharge that is taking efect on July 1st, Lincoln Hardwire has gone up in the vicinity of $0.20 per pound, since March 15th. The other manufacturers are all about the same.

Actually, the steel green rod and strip, used to make filler metals, is escallating faster than some other types of steel. The cost of the raw materials have risen 80% since the latter part of 2003, and there is no slow down in these increases on the horizon.

If the cost of welding wire was a consequence to me, I would stock up a little. Product availability is improving, but not near as good as it was 6 months ago, with shortages on certain products still existing.

Leave a comment:

• cope
    replied
    Re: MIG Wire

Originally posted by timw
    Bought a 44lb spool of steel .035 today for $41.76 and it came to $49.16 out the door. Dosen't seem that bad to me. I guess the steel prices aren't hurting wire. I think I paid $50. something last fall.
    Sounds about right. I bought a 33# spool last spring and paid +/-$30 out the door. I find that location and dealer skew the price of wire and other consumables quite a bit.

Leave a comment:

• timw
    started a topic MIG Wire

MIG Wire

Bought a 44lb spool of steel .035 today for $41.76 and it came to $49.16 out the door. Dosen't seem that bad to me. I guess the steel prices aren't hurting wire. I think I paid $50. something last fall.
Working...
X