220v recepticle wiring howto for synchrowave 180

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 220v recepticle wiring howto for synchrowave 180

Hi - I have a Synchrowave 180 and need to find out how to wire the female recepticle for power.

The plug has 2 vertical leads and a half-round ground connector like standard US plugs but super-sized.

The longer lead has "30 amp, 250v" and the shorter lead has "50amp, 250v" engraved on it.

The above makes me think that wiring two 25 amp 110v on the longer lead, common wire on the shorter lead plus ground would be wrong. Please let me know - thanks

I am not sure what the shorter or longer lead thing is about,, but for the input power this is a 230V circuit. 3 wires, 2 conductors and a ground. Minimum of number 8 wire with a 60A double pole breaker, the 2 "hot" wires to the flat terminals of the recept and the ground pin to ground. If this is a subfed type panel the ground goes to the equipment ground bar, not neutral bar, if this is the main entrance service panel, the first one after the meter it goes to the neutral bar or equipment bar if there is one. Some main panels do not use a equipment bar. There is no neutral used in this machine, it is a ground. There should be nothing going to 120V breakers. As a note, to repeat, in mains neutral and ground are one in the same for your purposes, at subfed panels they are seperate.

Comment

this info. helps but I just want to confirm a few things...

I have a 2 poled 50 amp breaker and the trip breakers are conected together and installed on the main service panel (ground & common are on the same rail as you stated). Is this ok instead of a 60amp if I'm planning on doing light duty work? To confirm the wiring of the female recepticle, green wire to the ground, no white or neutral wire, black/hot wire to one of the contacts, second hot wire/red to the contact on the other side?? What does the engraving mean on the plug? -thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jberend
        this info. helps but I just want to confirm a few things...

I have a 2 poled 50 amp breaker and the trip breakers are conected together and installed on the main service panel (ground & common are on the same rail as you stated). Is this ok instead of a 60amp if I'm planning on doing light duty work? To confirm the wiring of the female recepticle, green wire to the ground, no white or neutral wire, black/hot wire to one of the contacts, second hot wire/red to the contact on the other side?? What does the engraving mean on the plug? -thanks
        Yes, you can use the 50-A breaker just fine. It may trip if you use the machine's top-end, like you say.

Wiring sounds good. My guess on the engraving of the prongs is that they are parts that are used to assemble plugs for various sizes and they just got assembled that way. You can buy Leviton plugs at Home Depot and assemble them for the configuration you want at the time of use. If the machine has a plug that was installed by someone else, that may very well be the case.

Comment

Working...
        X