Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Purspose for spoolgun other than aluminum??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purspose for spoolgun other than aluminum??

Looking at getting a spoolgun for aluminum, but was wondering if it will provide any advantages when using steel wire as well? In short, help me justify purchasing one

You can run any wire you want through it. Spoolguns usually have longer cables than a MIG gun, so you get more reach with them. Nice for when you can't get the welder close enough, especially if it's up high.

Be well.

hankj
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

Pepsiguy

A spool gun has the advantage of having a long reach. My Regency200 has a 30a spool gun with a 30ft lead. This set-up is great getting to places on the trucks I repair, but it has its drawbacks in the size of the gun(sometimes impossible to get the proper angle in tight places).The gun is also tiring to hold with a 2 lb spool!!!
      If I didn`t need a spool gun for aluminum I would NOT have it as my only means to feed wire.
      A welder with both a spool and a regular gun will be my next reason to save,save,save.

Mike
      Regency 200 w/30A
      Dynasty 200 dx
      Esab 875 plasma
      MM350-P w/30A

Comment

as hankj said you can run just about any kind of wire through them.. even fluxcore... the 30A on my Trailblazer gets an awful lot of varied use... as well as Aluminum...
        hope this helps
        Heiti

Wheels... we must have posted at the same time... you are right about awkwardness... but lacking a suitcase feeder on the truck it sure does come in handy....

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

How does the suitcase wirefeeder fit into all this? Is its purpose to allow a long reach w/ a std MIG gun?

Comment

since wire doesn't like to be pushed more than 15ft, having a suitcase allows you to keep the power source a ways away, but the arc close. So, you could have a 30ft power cable, so then you're 30 ft away from the power source, and then 15ft of gun, so you can 45ft away, and still get great feeding with a normal mig gun
            -Tanner

Comment

Guys
              a suitcase feeder allows the use of a standard mig gun which will give you the ability to get into smaller spaces at akward angles and is smaller and lighter... thus less fatigue... but for aluminum it can be marginal... as the wire will like to birdcage from time to time.... the best compromise might be something like the XR pushpull system... or one of the old cobramatic systems.... the spoolgun gives you surefeed of aluminum wire albeit at a weight and size penalty....
              Heiti

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
              Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
              Dynasty 200DX
              Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
              Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Pepsiguy;
                One real benefit is that change over in my spoolgun is quicker than my regular mig. Since specialty wires often come in small spools 1 and 2 lb it is a snap drop it into the spoolgun. I use fluxcore SS dualshield from time to time and this is a great setup.
                Peace,

Comment

other uses

On my MM210 I keep the spool gun loaded with .023 wire, that way when i have some thin material I just grab the spool gun,(much better than changing those big spools to .023 and then back to .035). If the material is bigger I grab the Mig gun that has the .035 wire. That gun on demand feature is great. Also the longer reach with the spoolgun is a plus and saves having to move the welder at times. Just my opinion.
                  Harold
                  Harold
                  Craftsman Colormatic AC
                  Victor Journyman Setup
                  Syncrowave 180 SD
                  MM210 With Spoolgun
                  Dynasty 200 DX
                  Spectrum 625 Plasma Cutter
                  Miller HD Tape Measure

Comment

Harold:
                    I have the same setup and your right on all accounts, Love this machine.
                    Peace,

Comment

Working...
                    X