Dynasty on AL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynasty on AL

In school we were taught to ball the end of the tungsten to weld AL. (ie running dcep until the tungsten balls) I just read that Miller recommends that you grind the Tungsten to a point and then grind the end flat. How would you ball the tungsten with a Dynasty? I haven't started on AL yet because I am still messing around with steel. I am very pleased with the Dynasty 200dx because it even makes my welds look good.

many thanks,
    W. Hatter

whatter,

You won't ball the tungsten with a Dynasty. The Dynasty 200DX has 2 IGBT modules driven by a printed circuit board to switch polarity on the AC output(not to be confused with the power IGBTs). Due to the high frequency switching of these units the inverter arc welds best when the tungsten is tapered on an angle with an end land (flat tip). A good all around spec is a 20 degree taper with a .025" flat on the end. Sharpen as you would for DC,blunt the end slightly, and you are ready to run on AC. The prep procedure is the same for AC or DC on these machines. I highly recommend using a 3/32" 1.5% lanthanated tungsten alloy electrode. It will withstand more heat than the 200 can supply even with pure helium and runs a beautiful bead. If you drop down into the 50 amp and lower range 1/16" tungsten will be a better choice depending on your material. I think you can run from 30 amps to wide open with the 3/32" lanthated alloy on aluminum. I would go down to 1/16" or smaller tungsten for DC welding on stainless to avoid dissapating the chromium content allowing oxidation progressing to rust-another topic.

Comment

whatter,

I do ball the tungsten end when running on any other type GTAW machine such as squarewave or even the sinewave dinosaurs such as the Lincoln Ideal Arc. I do it on of 2 ways. The DCEP or DCRP method is great for pure and thoriated tungsten alloys. When working with zirconiated tunsten, the choice for x-ray quality ; high thermal input; and tungsten contamination free welds, I prefer to let it ball on its own as I weld. It is best to use a scrap piece of aluminum and start a bead to get the ball and then go to your work piece. The ball is very uniform and conforms well to the tungsten diameter.

Comment

Hawk

Are you saying to put a flat on the tungsten on d/c as well as a/c? I have only been flattening my tung for aluminum.

Mike
        Regency 200 w/30A
        Dynasty 200 dx
        Esab 875 plasma
        MM350-P w/30A

Comment

Wheels,

YES!

I run a 35 degree taper with a .030" flat for most all my 3/32" work AC and DC. The Dynasty welds much better on AC and DC with a small flat rather than a pointed end. Try it and I guarantee you will never go back to a pointed end with the Dynasty!!! A 20 degree taper and slightly smaller flat are more common and will give a somewhat finer profile in certain applications.

Comment

OK Hawk I will give the flat a try on d/c and see what happens. I did break down and purchce a tungsten grinder and it seems to help the arc especially on a fillet weld.

Thanks Mike
            Regency 200 w/30A
            Dynasty 200 dx
            Esab 875 plasma
            MM350-P w/30A

Comment

Mike,

What grinder did you get?

Comment

Hawk

Ordered a Sharpie A-PTGK-ADJ from Arc Zone. It seems to be a qualiy tool and puts a neet point on the tungsten. It has variable angle and will flatten the point also. It came with a plastic carring case, a spare diamond wheel. Ordered it and it was on the dood step in three days.

Mike
                Regency 200 w/30A
                Dynasty 200 dx
                Esab 875 plasma
                MM350-P w/30A

Comment

My typos crack me up(dood step) (bug window) HA
                  Regency 200 w/30A
                  Dynasty 200 dx
                  Esab 875 plasma
                  MM350-P w/30A

Comment

Dynasty on AL

Hawk,

Thanks for all the good information. Its nice to know I won't have to mess with balling the tungsten with the Dynasty. The machines we had at school were old AC machines (ie greater than 10 years). One of the instructors bought a Lincoln Precision Tig 185 this year and that was the Highest Tech AC machine the school had.... the school didn't even own it. Nice welder but it draws too much current and I opted for a Blue 200dx inverter machine instead. I haven't regereted my choice yet.

Thanks again,
                    W. Hatter

Comment

Re: Dynasty on AL

Originally posted by whatter
                      Hawk,

One of the instructors bought a Lincoln Precision Tig 185 this year and that was the Highest Tech AC machine the school had.... the school didn't even own it. Nice welder but it draws too much current and I opted for a Blue 200dx inverter machine instead. I haven't regereted my choice yet.

Thanks again,
                      W. Hatter

YOU NEVER WILL! IT IS AN AWESOME MACHINE. You are correct the Lincoln 185 does lay down some nice beads (you mentioned in an earlier post) and so does the old Ideal Arc of days gone by, but the Dynasty is tops. I love the 200DX and cannot find words to express how much I like the the 300DX!

Comment

Working...
                      X