Auto hood shootout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto hood shootout

I signed on as someone mentioned on the Hobart board that you did an assesment of the new auto hoods. I looked briefly but didnt see it. Just wondering where it was at. Have never used one, was considering it though.

Hawk has done some reviews here and others.

There are many to choose from...."choose wisely"

Try a search.

a-

Comment

Hey S
      Try a search under Big Window Elite or even Bug Window !!! Sorry, Wheels. I couldn't help myself!

Don
      Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
      '06 12RC feeder
      Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
      Esab Multimaster 260
      Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

sberry,

Here is a copy of a February post on the new Miller Big Window Elite and it also mentions some other helmets. I personally prefer the Big Window Elite of all the Miller hoods and have a real soft spot for the Optrel Satellite. Some members here prefer the Hornell Speedglass series of electronic hoods. They are not among my favorites nor are the Jackson units.

HAWK

Miller Helmet: Big Window Elite
        To all interested in an excellent electronic welding hood:

I received the Big Window Elite on Friday 13, 2004 and have had a lot of fun using it this week. It is by far the most comfortable helmet I have ever worn. It is noticeably lighter than my other welding hoods. Adjustments are snap with this hood. It has the standard movements like head band, forward tilt, and amount of pressure required to lift and lower it. It also allows the operator to adjust the distance form your face to the inside front of the hood.

The fit and finish are excellent. All the controls are inside leaving nothing to hit or break when welding in tight places. It has control knobs for on, shade 9-13, sensitivity, and delay. The knobs are large enough to be adjusted with a gloved hand (TIG style gloves only). The delay is adjustable from .1 seconds to more than 1 second. The sensitivity is very responsive. The shade adjustments accomodated everything I tried form 5 amps of DC tig to 325 amps with a 1/4" carbon rod. I spent some time with stick, mig, and carbon arc ; but I put more in on tig just to test response to the inverter arc, pulsing, and could I get it to flash me.

I tried welding with overhead halogen lights, overhead flourescent lights, outdoors with overcast skies, inside a nearly dark warehouse backlit with garage door window lighting, etc. I ran a variety of amperage welds from 5 amps to 200 amps on my Dynasty with slow and fast pulse rates as well as no pulse. I never got flashed. When I dropped down to 70 amps on 1.5 PPS I could see the arc pulsating narrow to wide in sync with the machine noise, but the Big Window Elite was not at all bothered by the pulsing inverter arc. On fast pulsing the helmet responded equally well. Under no condition did I have a problem with this helmet.

Is there anything I don't like about the Big Window Elite? Yes. I am used to a solar helmet like the Optrel Satellite and will have to get used to pushing the on button. If you don't strike an arc for about 15 minutes it will turn off.

I must say that the Miller Big Window Elite has found a warm spot next to my welding jacket and gloves. It has fast become one of my favorite pieces of welding equipment. I am thoroughly impressed with this new electronic welding hood.

Will I shelve my Optrel Satellite? No. It too is a fine helmet. I think it boils down to personal preference. If pressed to choose one over the other I would have to pick both!

HAWK

Last edited by HAWK on 02-20-2004 at 11:09

Comment

sberry,

Here is the link to the search page. Just put in electronic hood, Optrel, Hornell, Speedglass, Big Window Elite as key words (one phrase per search) and hit perform search. Happy reading.

http://www.millermotorsports.com/mboard/search.php?s=

Comment

DDA52

Wise guy!
            Regency 200 w/30A
            Dynasty 200 dx
            Esab 875 plasma
            MM350-P w/30A

Comment

Re: Auto hood shootout

Originally posted by Sberry
              I signed on as someone mentioned on the Hobart board that you did an assesment of the new auto hoods. I looked briefly but didnt see it. Just wondering where it was at. Have never used one, was considering it though.
              S, you need to pay more attention to my posts!

Comment

Originally posted by Wheels
                DDA52

Wise guy!
                IT "BUGS" ME TOO!

Comment

Wheels,
                  I had a momentary weakness. Blame it on low blood sugar!

Hawk,
                  While we're on the subject... I was wondering if sweat dripping onto the lens on occasion would be something to avoid? How well sealed are the electronics? I'm only asking because if I hadn't been on my back the other day, I probably would have found out the hard way. I was welding on a trailer in my yard. Air temp was 106 in the shade and about 130 to 135 in the sun. I think we may be in for a hot one this summer. I also couldn't get the sun to quit darkening the lens. It got a bit better when I lowered the sensitivity to 20%. Probably need to go lower for best results in the sun. The hood overall is performing above expectations. The auto off takes some getting used to. Maybe an external off switch would help....hmmmmmm.

Don
                  Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                  '06 12RC feeder
                  Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                  Esab Multimaster 260
                  Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

DDA52,

I don't think the sweat will bother anything except your vision. I wear a headband just to keep it out of my eyes. The electronics are well protected. The auto off thing is awkard at first, but works well. I turn the sensitivity all the way down in bright sunlight. It does fine.

Comment

Thanks, Hawk.
                      I'll probably get more use out of the hood if it had windshield wipers. Oh well, if it ever will stop raining, I'll get back to work.

Don
                      Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                      '06 12RC feeder
                      Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                      Esab Multimaster 260
                      Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

hood

DDA52,

If you recall, after I got my Big Window I thought I had a problem because it wouldn't lighten in bright sun unless I turned the sensitivity all the way down. That is the only thing that has bothered me with this hood. But it isn't a defect, just an adjustment learning curve.

I still maintain it is the best hood I have used. As Heiti mentioned too, the clarity of the optics is remarkable. I wear tri-focals and the window size is more than adequate.

Andy, let me know when I can expect my check........

Don, glad to see the rain is easing off. The heat is bad enough.

moe1942

Comment

Moe
                          The rain isn't easing off at all. There was a temporary lull in the action. I just got a call from a customer who needs me to finish a tractor job ......now! I asked him if he might have noticed the 6 plus inches we got in the last few days. Everything is goo city! It's supposed to start again on Mon.. Rain, that is. Two slabs on the ground, lots of $$ just sitting around. Maybe the sun will remember us soon.

I agree with the learning curve thing. I still need to tinker a bit. By the time I figured out what was needed to correct my situation, I was almost finished. It was so stinkin' hot, I wasn't inclined to stay out and tinker. As for optics, they are really great. Only thing now is when I screw up my weld, I know it right away instead of when I take off the hood!

Don
                          Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                          '06 12RC feeder
                          Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                          Esab Multimaster 260
                          Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Working...
                          X