X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fun4now
    • Aug 2006

.023/.024/.025 mig wire, what tip4 all?

my local store just went to .024 wire but still carries only .023 tips.are they all closenough to work or if i get .023 tips will i have truble with .025 wire.
    i like to keep extra tips on hand but dont know if i should get .023 tips or look 4 .025 or .024 as im not shoure where the wire size is going.and dont want to be stuck sitting on a bunch of tips i cant get wire for.
    thanks for the help
    ......or..........
    hope i helped
    sigpic
    feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. [email protected]
    summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
    JAMES
  • MAC702
    • Sep 2002

That may have been the very first question I asked as a member of this board years ago when it first started!

Anyway, the answer I learned then, and verified through experience is that it doesn't matter.

For some reason, different makes used a different number but they all work with all of them. I usually had .024 wire in my MM175, and used the .025 tips from Home Depot. But it also fed through the .023 tips that came with the welder (I think that's what size they were.)

Anyways, don't give it a second thought.

Besides, when it comes to the tips, the opening is already significantly larger than the wire; they are marked with what wire they are designed for, not the actual opening in the tip.

Comment

• klsm54
      • Mar 2007

You can interchange the .023, .024, and .025 wire with any of the tips , drive rolls liners etc. As MAC said, the hole in the tip (or liner)is much larger any way. Besides that manufacturing tolerances will vary more than + or - .001".

Comment

• fun4now
        • Aug 2006

thanks

thanks i just wanted to be shoure .
        thanks for the help
        ......or..........
        hope i helped
        sigpic
        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
        JAMES

Comment

• cope
          • Sep 2005

The only problem you may encounter is if you use off brand wire such as Harbor Freight's Chicago Electric in .025 is that it may not fit all brands of contact tips. You shouldn't be using that junk anyway.

Comment

• fun4now
            • Aug 2006

LOL

i agree with that .
            i only use miller or hobart.why buy the best tool to feed it bargin brand chow.
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            JAMES

Comment

• Paul Seaman
              • Sep 2005

Cheap wire sometimes has variances in the diameter, cast and helix. These variances alter how they feed, good and bad. The material may be within the specification but the wider the variances the more difficult the feeding.
              The grade of materials we opt for tend to unknowingly determine the outcome and quality. If we short the quality in one aspect how can we expect the quality and dependability we desire. If you ever get some cheap Aluminum wire and start having feed trouble you'll fight it tooth and nail till you throw it away and buy better material.

I'll get off my soapbox,

Comment

Working...
              X