X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HAWK
    replied
    wheels,

It has been out fishing several times, but is still dull and nasty on the outside. I've been "too" busy working to get it done. I came up with a good used trolling motor and heavy duty mount that needs to go on first. It's a 56lb thrust 12/24VDC motor that will replace the 37lb thrust motor that came with the boat.

The new trolling motor has a slightly bent shaft, but should be easy enough to straighten or cut off and tig a new length on it. I don't think the mounting holes match up so there's some more tig work. These are good problems to have.

I'd rather not get into the real problems. Lately life has been like a beaver colony: One **** thing after another. I suspect things will look up soon. Sorry to scratch, but I had the itch. You guys enjoy the trucking!

Leave a comment:

• Wheels
    replied
    Hawk, you rascall I seem to remember a bass boat you are supposed to be putting a gloss on...better get on it and leave this bigtime trucking to us

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    DDA52 and Wheels,

You know I am just kidding. I admire you and the wife (even with a dirty truck picture)for running such a hard business. Keep up the good work!

Leave a comment:

• DDA52
    replied
    Wheels
    I do about 15% of my repairs. I just don't have enough time to do them all. The shop I use built both of my tandems. They know them pretty well. They have my Volvo right now.
    Electronic engines are nothing to be leary of. Both of my trucks now are e motors. My fuel economy has doubled from that of the old mech Cummins I used to have. I have smaller engines though. M-11 at 370 and 3176 CAT at 350. Both average around 16 to 17 mpg unloaded and 7 to 8.5 loaded. That was a big jump from the Ford's 4 - 4.5! To do the work on those engines, you have to buy the tools. The scanners and analyzers are VERY pricey, then there's the software. Cummins won't let theirs go, so you'd have to get it done anyway. Personally, I'd rather buy "other" toys.
    Our seasons never end. We pretty much run 5 to 6 days a week all year. The occasional lull in the action is appreciated at times.

Hawk
    One too many??? How about two too many!

Don

Leave a comment:

• Wheels
    replied
    DDA52

A friend of mine has a W900L like mine with the 600 in it. He wants me to try it out, and I will take him up on the offer. The KW I drive has a 475 in it and the torque is amazing. My other truck has an N14 500hp Cummins and is very responsive. The only thing that scares me is my meager knowlege of the electronics on these engines. I have rebuilt 7 of the old mechanical controled Cummins and 2 older style Cats.
    DDA, do you do your own repairs or do you go to the local shops?
    I do probably 90% of my own and pick up enough buisness in the of-season to keep me buisy.Our asphalt season ends in late november and starts again in March.
    Sorry to be so long winded , but I get that way from time to time.

Mike

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Wheels and DDA52,

You guys have hauled one too many loads.

Leave a comment:

• DDA52
    replied
    Originally posted by Wheels
    DDA52

I wouldn`t trade mine for a new Kenworth........well, only if it had a 600 Cat in it!!!

Mike
    Wheels
    I'd have to think about that. KW isn't my favorite.... but a 600 CAT might be an even swap!

Don

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    Wheels,

I'd have to let mine go for a KW! BWE's are inexpensive by comparison.

Leave a comment:

• Wheels
    replied
    DDA52

I wouldn`t trade mine for a new Kenworth........well, only if it had a 600 Cat in it!!!

Mike

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    Hawk:
    Thanks, I am starting a tig class and am uncertain of the low amperage settings on my 9000x. In 2 years I've never used it in pulse mode so we'll see but if any trouble exists I have the XLix as a back up but knowing availability is paramount in time of need. My eyes are really bad so I spare no expense to protect them.

Thanks for all your support and knowledge,

Leave a comment:

• HAWK
    replied
    pj,

Mine has that or more on it now. No problems with the hood. The headgear adjustment nut stripped out and would not tighten up a couple of months back, but a quick call to Miller and I had a complete new headgear the next day! It is the best electronic hood I have ever owned. The Optrel Satellite runs a close second.

Leave a comment:

• Paul Seaman
    replied
    When you guys get a few hundred hours on the big window give us a post. I've got a speedglas but I like keeping up on the technology and in 6 monthes who knows I might need another.

Peace,

Leave a comment:

• DDA52
    replied
    Wheels
    Those Big Windows are great aren't they! I'm seeing better now than I think I ever have! I finally tried it out on Mon. and again tonight on SMAW. No worries whatsoever. I could see perfectly. Out of position was easy with the Big Window. I had a bit of a problem on Mon. with it not turning off after the welding stopped. Figured out it was the sun. I'll tinker with the settings later. The temp in my yard Mon. afternoon was around 130 to 135 deg in the sun. Didn't affect the hood at all. ( Affected me plenty! )

Don

I think I melted!

Leave a comment:

• Wheels
    replied
    Hawk
    I guess we were typing at the samt time.
    The question about stainless is no. I have yet to attempt ss, although a friend dopped off some for me to try in my spare time, which is at a premium in the summer.
    I think the Big(or Bug) Window will get me closer to the results I am after witk my welding and plasma cutting!

Mike

Leave a comment:

• Wheels
    replied
    Come on guys...I tried to edit my post to Big Window Elite, but I was laughing at myself so hard I just left it!
    BUG Window is more like what I was looking through before.
    I would appreciate any thoughts on how ugly my welds are. I rarely get a chance to keep my skills , such as they are, sharpened.

Mike

Leave a comment:

Working...
X